S&W Model 25 LC, Mountain Gun

croyance

I was window shopping other guns when this caught my eye. I did not get a chance to see the '-' revision #.
They come with Kim Ahrends grips and it has a 4" barrel. It is blued.

Can anybody tell me if I should watch out or beware of any revision numbers?
Can a .45 LC S&W take the heaviest loads?
What is accuracy like? I thought I read that some early 25's in .45 LC aren't so accurate.

I like this gun. Lighter than my 3" barreled 25-2. Good feel on the grips.

Old Reb

Sounds like a 25-13. Here's a good review by Jeff Quinn at Gunblast.

I have an earlier stainless version. Great gun. You might want to read up on big bore gunsmith John Linebaugh's comments about the Smith .45 Colt. He limits his loads for this gun to 25,000 psi because the cylinder walls are thinner than the N-frame .44 Mag version. I keep my loads under 1,000 fps for this gun and it will do anything I need to do and has excellent accuracy. A great woods carry piece. If you want to shoot heavy loads, get a Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk or a Freedom Arms SA.

The Smith and Ruger .45 Colt guns have previously had spotty records for accuracy because of oversized (S&W) and undersized (Ruger) cylinder throats. Smith has corrected this with properly sized throats since around 1982 with later 25-5 and subsequent dash numbers. Rugers in .45 Colt generally have throats that are too tight. But this can be remedied by simply reaming the throats to a proper .4525".

croyance

Thank-you for the links and information.

Are any speedloaders available? Hopefully more than the ubiquitous HKS speedloaders? They feel flimsy and rounds rattle.

WESHOOT2

hmmm....

I've been using HKS speedloaders for thirty years and neverever had one unintentionally spill its cartridges.
I currently have-n-use about forty or so in different sizes (for wife's M38, my GP100s, and Redhawks in all four chamberings).

HKS makes one just for the 25-5.......

Ammo? Any easy-shooting HP; check here: www.georgia-arms.com