S&W Model 25 - 45 to 41 Mag

beenthere

Does anyone know whether a S&W model 25 in 45ACP/45 AR can be rebarrelled & new cylinder for 41 Mag? This is an older 1950's gun but is the N-Frame. Gunsmith or S&W?

Tacoma

It's an N frame so I'm sure it can. However, 25's are collectable and bringing a premium these days on the market. ( $500 -$600 is common for a nice one) The conversion will also not be cheap. IMHO, you'd be better off selling it ( to me cheap :D ) and using the proceeds to fund a mod 57 /58 purchase. No doubt, you'll have $ left over as i've seen several nice 41's around reciently for less than $450.

beenthere

M25 conversion

It's just something I've been mulling over. The gun has the absolute best trigger pull of any gun I've had in over 40 years. On the other hand, the light barrel weight aven though it's six inches long makes it one of the harder guns to hold steady I've ever owned. If the conversion couldn't be done for a couple hundred dollars or so I'll probably end up keeping it as is & leaving it to my son one day.

Ozzieman

You would be far better off finding an old Mod 28 in 357 if the cylinder is long eno

And do the mod, I had a 28 turned into a 44 special that way over 20 years ago by one of the best gun smiths in Indiana.
He drilled out the cylinders that way the timing was already correct for the gun.
Put a 4 inch Duglas barrel and added a spring loaded ball on the tang to make the action lock even tighter.
Thin put the larger trigger from Smith in it and did an action job.
The point was that at the time no one was makeing anything in 44 special and I have a thing for the round.
At the time the cost after aquiring the 28 (200$) the total mod was around 300$
And if some one says they can do as much mod as your talking about for $200 RUN AWAY.
One other thing, to mod a 28 is one thing, but to destroy a 45lc just to shoot 41's in not what I would consider a wise thing to do.
Any N frams smith can have a good trigger job done and match what you have now if you can find a good gun smith.
I would guess a NEW cylinder if you could find one Duglas barrel and all the work would gross out at lot more (Like 2 or 3 times) $200

beenthere

Conversion

As I said, it's only been a thought. About 30 years ago I had a trigger and ramp job done on a lightweight Commander and that's the only custom work I've ever had done on a handgun. I've had an itch for a 41 Mag. for years and with the budget pretty squeeky was looking for a cheap way out. Sounds like it's back to saving up for a Blackhawk.

Thanks to all

HSMITH

The 25-5 and prior guns did not have the same heat treat the magnum guns did, so they would be poor if not dangerous choices. The 25-7 and newer guns have the magnum heat treat and could be converted.

If I did it I would look for a M28, the barrel could be bored out and then the cylinder line bored. They also cost about half of what a 25 costs.

BillCA

Revolver Conversions

Some years ago, I converted a S&W Model 28 into a 1955 .45ACP when I picked up a barrel and cylinder for $125. Fitting the barrel was the easy part. Timing the star extractor by hand was the hardest part.

What I ended up with was a .45ACP revolver that would shoot 1" groups at 25 yards (from a rest) with no more recoil than a K38 using wadcutters. I loved that gun!
Note: It was stolen on Labor Day '04 so if you see such a conversion have the cops check the S/N!

As to .41 Mags -- There are some good deals on .41s out there if you keep looking. While the Rugers are no doubt good guns, the S&W remains the best IMO. If you hunt deer, the 6" is the way to go. Hunting Boar here in CA, I've used the 4" in the brush with good effect (though next time I'm packing the 4" on the hip and using the Marlin 1894FG lever gun in .41 mag).

You can also find a bargain if you run across the right well-used revolver too.
Two years ago a friend picked up a pinned & recessed M-57. It showed lots of wear and the action was terrible after some kitchen table gunsmith had dinked with it. The bore was excellent but the seller said it would FTFire 30% of the time. Sold for all of $200. We got him new action parts (GunPartsCorp) and a new extractor, spent a weekend refitting the parts and had a 'smith time it. The next step was to strip it down again, have the gun bead blasted and then he spent 2 days polishing it out (carefully to avoid losing the logos & rollmarks). Then it went off for a rebluing (MicroSight Belmont). I wish I'd had the digital camera as the end result looked great for a total of $400. The bluing had that yard-deep S&W blue-black lustre. Best of all, this 6" gun would put 5 shots into the X ring of a standard pistol target at 50 yards. If you're in Missouri and see a guy hunting with a scoped .41 Mag with faux ivory grips, ask him about his gun. :D

OldGunner

You can buy a brand new in the box 41M from your dealer for about $650 (in Dallas). Mine is a stainless 657 with a 7 1/2 in bbl. You can also have a SBH hunter in 41M with a 7 1/2 in bbl. You may have to educate your dealer, as most people are not aware that the 41M is back. Why spend more than that on a conversion when you can have two guns? Or maybe not...

Brian 45

I'd not do it mainly because those M-25's are hard to find, at least around here.
In the past two years I've bought two M-57's, one 657 and a Ruger Bisley in .41 mag. In that time I've bought one M-25 in Long Colt as I've yet to find a decent M-25 in 45acp not costing a fortune.
My theory is the .41's hang around long enough for me to find them but the M-25's get snatched up right away.
The .41 mag is quickly becoming my favorite caliber but I wouldn't trade or alter a M-25 to get one either.