S&W Model 24-3 "lew horton .44 special"

ajgranda

OK, found another possible buy. S&W MODEL 24-3 "LEW HORTON SPECIAL" MINT CONDITION MODEL 24-3 CAL 44 S&W SPECIAL WITH A 3 INCH BBL AND ROUND BUTT. 99% MINT WITH A FAINT CYLINDER RING. INCLUDED IS THE ORIGINAL BLACK S&W HOLSTER, SHIPPED WITH THE GUN. POSSIBLY UNFIRED.

The serial number is AEL1816.
According to the standard catalog of Smith & Wesson Handguns, page 191
"the model 24-3 with no barrel pin was issued as a Lew Horton Special".
5000 were reported as manufactured with 1000 of them shipped with the
special black holster.

Anyone know what this gun is worth and anything about it?

Thanks

Attachments

• pix066615994.jpg
    pix066615994.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 342
  • pix204699972.jpg
    pix204699972.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

jglsprings

It's not worth anything - tell me where I can get a hold of it!! :D

I don't know the going rate for one, but I'd GET IT if I had the chance. And I'd pay top dollar for one too!

Let us know what happens!

drail

If you want a .44 Spl S&W and that one is in good shape, jump on it quick with both feet. Going rate should be in the $600 to $750 range in that condition. Those are really nice guns. I have a friend who bought one when they first released them and I have shot it. Very nice. Those grips, while very attractive, are very hard to hold onto if your hand are the least bit sweaty. It will rotate in your hand and require you to reacquire your grip constantly. Checkered wood Hogues or rubber Hogues work much better. Hogue Bantams are a perfect grip for those guns. Hope you are a reloader. With the right load that thing makes a perfect CCW rig.

Last edited:

DMZX

I have the brother to that revolver. A 29-3 3" round butt Lew Horton #ALB9XXX. I think it is one of 5,000 that were issued in the early 1980's. I have been told the grips alone are worth about $150 - $175. My revolver, $700-$800 in current 90% condition, (visible cylinder ring, slight holster wear on the barrel).

Your model 24-3 may be more sought after and worth a bit more, (especially with the issue holster), but I think that is in the ball park.

I got to tell you that my model has the best DA trigger of any revolver I have ever squeezed.

Lately I've been seeing these for $850 and up.

A few years ago a friend bought one. When he decided to get rid of it he offered it to me for what he paid for it, something like $375. I didn't have the money at the time and have been regretting it ever since.

rjrivero

Mike Irwin said:
Lately I've been seeing these for $850 and up.
I've been looking for one of these to compliment the Lew Horton 686 I have. I would say that the "and up" part is where I'm seeing these prices lately.:eek:

MLeake

I've lost a couple bids on GunBroker...

... at the last minute, by $5.

I suspect the dealer didn't like the final price, and was lingering to ensure it didn't go too low, though I can't prove it. But the bids were about $100 below asking price, in the $700 - $750 range. (Asking $850+).

Good luck with your purchase.

ajgranda

Thanks for the replies. My biggest concern is no papers or box. I've never bought a used gun without them. Does it even make a difference? THX