s&w model 19 markings?

milky7272

I was left an extinsive collection of firearms by my father. Was looking thru a few pieces last night, and found a model 19-3 2 inch barel. It is blued in pretty good shape. Got to looking and found S.C.S.O. stamped on the left side of the frame. He was an extensive collector of smiths and we have lived in N.C. for all our lives. Does any one know what that stands for? He is no longer around to ask so just thought someone might be able to shed some history on this smith. Thanks. Richard :confused:

carguychris

Random ideas courtesy of Google:

Shelby County Sheriff's Office (Memphis, TN area)
Seminole County Sheriff's Office (Sanford, FL area)
SOCOM Center for Special Operations (U.S. military Special Operations Command; pretty unlikely IMHO because the American military has never officially used .357Mag revolvers on a widespread basis, and if Special Forces did use them, they wouldn't advertise it. ;) )

The 2-1/2" barrel (it's probably 2-1/2" measured properly to the face of the cylinder) is unusual for a LE revolver, but it may have been issued to a plainclothes detective for unobtrusive wear in a belt holster under a blazer.

18DAI

IIRC the Sampson County Sheriffs Office, in NC marked their model 19 revolvers like that.

I'm not sure which model 19 variation they had. Might be worth a call to them to see if anyone there knows, for sure. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

18DAI

Yes, S&W has a fellow named Roy Jinks. He's a historian who will "letter" your gun, if you submit a written request, and pay the fee. It was $30, but I seem to recall someone saying it was now $50. I lettered two of mine, and was pleased with the results.

Call cutomer service at S&W. I'm sure they can refer you to him. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

BigJimP

I have a 3rd edition of the S&W collectors guide / catalog - and in the model 19 section - there are a number of notations like SLED for South Carolina Law Enforcement Div - but I don't see a notation for SCSO in the book.

The model 19-3 was introduced in 1967 / and it went to a 19-4 in 1977. The model 19's were made in 2 1/2", 4", 6" and only a few 3".

The model 19's are one of my favorite S&W's in K frame / I shoot and enjoy them a lot.

drjjpdc

Milky,
I looked in my Standard S&W catalog and an idea of approximate age on a 19-3 would be from 1967 to 1977 when they started using 19-4. If you post or e-mail the serial number, it should begin with a K, if it's in the older range, or have a number in front of the K if it's in the later range. In any case XXX out the last 3 digits to protect serial numbers from being abused/identified.

drjjpdc

Milky,
Even though you are not in Tenn, I would echo carguychris suggestion about Shelby County in Memphis. Most likely to my mind. Very first hit on Google and a very extensive website.