S&W Model 18-4 Combat Masterpiece

WVsig

How are the new versions of this gun? CDNN is selling them for $649. Anyone know if these have the internal lock? How does the new guns compare to the older ones? Are they worth it. I am always on the look out for used one in mint condition and never seem to find one.

Wheel gunners help a semi-auto guy out. LOL

CDNN_S_W_Special_12_06_2011.1.jpg

?

laytonj1

That is a the new "classic" model 18 in the add and would have the lock.
The earlier 18-4 was made from 1977 to 1985. Pre lock and MIM days.

Jim

MrBorland

AFAIK, the guns in their Classic Line have the IL and MIM parts. No biggie, in my opinion, but given the price, if you like the classic look, you might as well buy an original. If you're not set on the classic look of blue, consider a 617 - the stainless is easier to maintain, and it comes with 10-shot capacity. Probably about the same price, too.

As far as newer guns in general, you'll get a lot of opinions, but mine is that while the newer guns lack the fit and finish of the classic blued guns, they shoot as well as ever, maybe better. I shot the target below with my bone-stock 4" 617. Unsupported, double action, 25 yards.

SW617B-16Freestyle.jpg

CajunBass

They're probably good guns. The MIM parts and lock don't bother me a bit but if I want a "classic" I want a "classic", not some newly manufactured "instant classic."

I paid $460.00 for this "pre-18", 1954, 22 Combat Masterpiece a couple of months ago. They're out there and worth looking for.

071211141434.jpg

071211141529.jpg

woad_yurt

An 18-2 owner's thoughts on a new Model 18 vs an old one:

Personally, I'd rather have an original. The original will appreciate in value more and was made with way more TLC and the original, lest we forget, is 100% lock-less. Also, a decent original still costs a good bit less than $649.00.

Last edited:

orionengnr

My rule of thumb for S&W revolvers:
Whether it is an a catalogue or on GB/GA, if the picture is only of the right-hand side of the revolver, it is because it has the ILS, but the seller is attempting to conceal that fact.

Cynical, yes, but accurate. :)