S&W Model 18-3 coming my way

I just won this auction on Gun Broker.

I've been thinking about a K frame .22 for a long time. Earlier this week a friend picked up a Model 17-2, so I figured the time was right to get one of my own.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128983059

One of the pix...

pix1203124703.jpg

kraigwy

The Model 17 is a fancier then the 18. Target sights and such. Kind of like compairing the Model 28 to the Model 27. The Model 28 is a utility or duty gun, the model 27 is a bit fancier, target sights, deeper blue finish.

As to the Model 18, I love it. It more closely matches the service revolver I carried for work. Mine is supper accurate. I do like the front target sights on the Model 17 & 27s but they aren't practical for a service revolver, they hang up on jackests & such.

MrBorland

What is the difference in a model 17 and a model 18?

IIRC, it's also barrel length; the Model 17 is the descendent of the (6") K-22 Target Masterpiece, whereas the 18 descends from the (4") K-22 Combat Masterpiece.

Nice, gun, Mike. Enjoy!

absolute0

Well done Mike.

S&W K Frame .22 revolvers are just an absolute treat to shoot and own. There are few equals but none better IMO.

drjjpdc

Good luck, Mike. I have a model 17 myself at my dealer's. All paid up and waiting for a permit. Normally I get the permit first, but I couldn't pass this sucker up. It's killing me waiting, but that's NJ. I'll post some pix when I get it. Oh, BTW, it's got the 8 3/8" barrel. Look out paper at my local range very soon, your days are numbered!

P-990

Nice revolver! I'm sure it will be one heck of a shooter. I picked mine up on an impulse back in January and haven't regretted it since. (Mine is a -4, non-pinned.)

Beautiful. However, I'm S&W challenged. What is the difference in a model 17 and a model 18?

Barrel length and sights. A Model 18 will be a 4" barrel with Baughman ramp front sight. A Model 17 will be a 6" barrel (or maybe an 8 3/8") with a Partridge front sight. And there are variations in stocks, hammers and triggers. Like my personal 18-4 has a mid-width hammer and target trigger, but came with Magna stocks. Judging by Mr. Irwin's picture, his will be coming with S&W's Target-stocks.

Otherwise, they are polished and finished identically, unlike the M-27/28 comparison where the 28s didn't get the same polished blue the more expensive guns did.

MLeake

+1 to P-990

The finish on the M18 is top-notch. So is the grooved, target trigger and big target hammer. The front sight is different than on the 17, the barrel length is 4" vs 6", but it is NOT a step down from the 17.

I have an M18, and it's a tack driver. Only thing I don't like are the grips, which are too small for me, but a Tyler T-grip fixed that problem nicely.

wraco

As previously said; the M17 and M18 don't parallel the M27 and M28. In fact, my M18 has a beautiful deep blue finish, while my K-22's have a more dull finish. Here's some examples:

Regards:
Rod

1946-47 K-22 . . pre M17
K-22s031.jpg

mid 1950's K-22 . . pre M17
K-22s033.jpg

M-18
18-3006.jpg

Model 27 no dash and a Model 28 no dash
M27025.jpg

BillCA

Nice deal you got there Mike. I'm jealous. I like the Model 18 just a bit better than the M17 because it'll do both fun range work and works well as a camp gun too.

Does this mean you now have a "set" of the K-series?

The Model 18, as mentioned, is a 4" version of the M17, but with a different front sight. The M17 was more of a target/hunting pistol where the M18 was intended as a training pistol.

In the six-inch models, what later became the Model 17, Model 32 and Model 14 comprised the "K Series" called the K-22, K-32 and K-38 revolvers. S&W touted these as excellent training aids, starting shooters on a .22, progressing to the mild .32 centerfire (then still used at Camp Perry national matches) and finally the K-38 for serious duty work.

The Model 18 is a .22 caliber companion to the Model 15. The weight, balance and feel of each gun makes it difficult to tell them apart by touch.

IMG_1658Sa.jpg

S&W Model 15-3, circa 1984

Unfortunately .22 caliber M&P K-frames (Model 45 "Post Office") guns are so rare they're not shooters. The same applies for a small run of .32 M&P Revolvers made between 1948-1950. This is a shame as an M&P .22 revolver makes for a great outdoors too.

Last edited:
"Does this mean you now have a "set" of the K-series?"

Well, this makes the .22.

I have a .32-20.

I have a .38 Spl.

I have a .357.

I don't have either a .32 Long (I have a J frame, not a K frame), or a .380-200 British, so no, I don't have a set of K frames, either in models or calibers.

I'm a lot closer in calibers.

BillCA

I don't have either a .32 Long (I have a J frame, not a K frame), or a .380-200 British, so no, I don't have a set of K frames, either in models or calibers.

I should have been specific... I was wondering if this gave you the "K" series trio - a K-22, K-32 and K-38. Not one of each K-frame -- geeez, I don't think even Hammer It has all those.

I did remember you had a .32 of some kind. I must have been thinking of the .32-20 or the 30/31 J-Frame. :eek:

For what it's worth, the Winchester Super-X High Velocity (22XLR I think) are the most accurate out of my 4" 617.

"I don't think even Hammer It has all those."

I'm glad that Hammerit hasn't posted in this thread.

I hate crying/drooling at work. I keep shorting out keyboards...

I actually have two S&W .32 Longs, a circa 1920 Regulation Police I frame with a 4" barrel, and a circa 1972 Model 30 snub nose J frame (it's just so damned CUTE!).

As for the ammo, a friend of mine stopped at WalMart the other evening and found a treasure trove of Federal Lightning bulkpack .22s, the 500 round bricks of 10 boxes of 50 rounds each.

Price is what it was before ammo became hard to find.

BillCA

Out here, I-frames seem to be hard to find in any kind of decent condition.

Congrats on the find of Federal ammo. It'll probably do just as well.

I'm now contemplating a 60-mile drive to inspect a pre-Model 43 (.22 Airweight Kit Gun) and whether or not I can afford it. :p

I actually have two S&W .32 Longs, a circa 1920 Regulation Police I frame with a 4" barrel, and a circa 1972 Model 30 snub nose J frame (it's just so damned CUTE!).

I know!
M31SNUB_0777.jpg

Model 31 Regulation Police 2-inch, .32 Long

I think part of it is those "dainty" little cartridges. ;)

My model 18 is here!

I picked it up yesterday after a shotgunning excursion.

I'm hoping to get to the NRA range sometime this week to try it out.