S&W Model 15 question -- Frame mounted trigger stop?

Icopy

I have an opportunity to purchase an unfired older S&W Model 15 with 51/2 barrel from a friend. He got if from his Dad who recently deceased. The gun has a modification that neither of us can figure out. In the frame right behind the trigger is a sliver of silver of metal. The metal sits in a cutout in the frame and projects out maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch. I think it’s a trigger stop. But I have never seen one mounted on the frame. It looks like a factory job. Does anyone know what it is?

You're absolutely correct. It's a trigger stop.

Stops of this type were used for many years on S&W's target guns. S&W realized that later work on the gun could/would change the length of trigger pull, so the stop is adjustable.

If you post a partial serial number, leaving out the last 2 or 3 digits, I can tell you approximately when the gun was made.

C.R.Sam

Sometimes those overtravel stops would loosen and interfere with the trigger function. If it is to be used as a non bullesye target shooter. Remove the stop and it's tiny screw. Put em in an itty bitty bag and secure in grip frame.....well clear of hammer spring. Scotch tape works.

Sam

Icopy

I don't know the serial number offhand. But would $300 be a good price for a Model 15? It has target stocks, adjustable sights, and trigger stop. It looks like the cylinders haven't even been turned.

FPrice

Without knowing much else about this particular revolver I would think that $300 is in the ballpark, especially if it looks like it has not been used very much.

A couple of question though,

5 1/2" barrel? Does not sound like factory. But maybe there was a special run. Somebody more familiar with S&W's may be able to help here.

Also not sure trigger stops were factory originals. But again, might have been a special run. Or this might have been modified by a 'smith somewhere along the line.

I would be curious about the history. If you can get the serial number for us to research as per Mike Irwin's suggestion this could help. I am sure that a few of us are curious and would like to know more. You might have a real find on your hands or possibly just something someone modified. Either way it could be a nice gun to have.

I think this may be a job for the TFL S&W Historical Investigation Team to help you with.

Icopy

I'll know more about it this weekend. The barrel length may be 5". My friend wasn't sure of the length and I just kinda eyeballed it. Thanks for the info so far.

If it has the trigger stop, and it's in as-new condition, it is VERY reasonably priced at $300. I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

C.R.Sam

If it has factory overtravel stop it likely also has target trigger and/or target hammer. Making it a very decent price.

Sam

Radicalcleric

I am sure what you have is a 6" M14 not a M15. S&W did not make any 6" M15s and the trigger stop is on the M14 for sure but I think not on the M15. If the gun is marked M15 is a factory error when stamping. This is not uncommon with Smiths. I have seen dozens of them with the incorrect model stamped on the frame.

Saxon,

The point on the trigger stop may be valid, but I don't think the point on the barrel length is.

I believe that EVERY S&W K-frame with adjustable sights has been offered with a 6" barrel.

Time to do some Jinks & Supica & Nahaus work...

Radicalcleric

As I noted in the other thread regarding the M15, I was unaware of the changes in the M15 made in 1986 when the longer barrels were made available. I don't like the post 1980 S&Ws so I stopped paying attention back then and concentrated on buying older guns. My recollections were based on my knowledge of the pre-1980 guns. On these, the M15 only had a 2" or 4" barrel and the M14 had the longer ones. That changed in the 1980s but I wasn't watching. I was unsure about the trigger stop but my 1977 M15 does, indeed, have it.

Mea culpa.

RogerC

Yup.

Mine has a trigger stop, target trigger and target sights.

All rather out of character for a "Combat Masterpiece" wouldn't you say?

15a.jpg

It IS an M15, and it does have a 6 inch barrel.

7th Fleet

They taught us in LEO Armorer's School to take the trigger stops out of Smith & Wesson Police duty revolvers because they can and sometimes do come loose and lock the trigger up.

7th

FPrice

According to Supica and Nahas, there WAS a 5" barrel version, but is rare. This is getting better and better all the time!

Icopy...from everything we have heard so far, I think that we all agree that this is most likely a good buy. It may possibly be a GREAT buy. My suggestion is to show some (edited: went back and saw it was a friend, not a dealer - makes a difference) interest and get as many details as you can such as markings, barrel length, trigger and hammer type, overall wear, etc., etc. If it was me, I would probably hem and haw a bit, then make an offer. But I would almost certainly buy it.

Do you have access to a digital camera? It would be great to get a look at it.

Good luck, I hope you end up with it.

Icopy

Well, this was definately a snooze you lose deal. I just called my buddy to get more info. It's 6 inch M15. But, he sold it for $325 at a gun show on Sunday. He thought I wasn't that interested. Oh well. Thanks for all the help.

FPrice

Icopy...

We ALL have stories of good guns that got away because we were slow to decide. :(

If you serious about obtaining some nice older Smiths, I would highly suggest that you obtain Supica and Nahas' book, "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" (might be abbreviated to S&W, I forget, the book is at home.). This is an excellent book about the various models of S&W's and serial numnbers, with a LOT of pics. Read up, study a bit, and soon you will begin to be able to recognize those guns which might have some special value and be able to make buy decisions more quickly, thus avoiding what just happened to you.

Radicalcleric

At the risk of being wrong again I suspect the barrel was 6" not 5" or 5.5" because a common mistake is to measure from the shoulder where the barrel meets the frame rather than all the way to the back.

Frankly, I prefer to remain noncurrent as I still don't much care for recent S&W products. Perhaps if I was unaware of the superior quality on the older guns I would be impressed by Smiths made in the last 21 years but I can't get excited about the newer versions having experienced the old ones. Same thing with Colts.

Don't cry over this missed opportunity. For $300 (actually less)you can find very nice older S&W. I bought my 4" nickeled M15 from an FFL at a show about 18 months ago for $185 and the fit and finish is far better than a new revolver from S&W. I bought a police trade-in M13 for $190 and a 2" M10 for $150, both in the past year.