S&W Model 13

iluvlabs1

I recently purchased a NIB Model 13, fixed sight, 3" barrel, 6 shot, blue, .357 magnum. The action is extremely smooth. I haven't been able to find much information on this model...most of what I've found refers to the Model 10 M&P. Is my Model 13 a variant of the Model 10?

The original Model 13 was a heavy barrel Model 10 in .357 Magnum. The only difference was the length of the cylinder. At first the gun was only available in 4" but the 3" barrel was offered on the later variations, I think.

The reason you don't see much discussion on this model is because it's so similar to the M10. In fact, the first guns were actually 10-6s chambered in .357 made on request for a cop shop and the M13 designation wasn't created until after a number of the guns were sold. A 10-6 in .357 has some collector value, now. Also, S&W made some M13s on special order in .38 Special. Go figure on that one.

Here's my own M13. Made in 1979, it was used by a sheriff's department until I got it about 5 years ago. This is now my primary home defense gun.

My M13 in nickel

Erich

I picked up the stainless version of your gun (the 65) three weeks ago and just love it.

SW65-520nov05002.jpg

I ran four factory loads and two handloads through it. Here's the data on the factory loads (in the event that it might assist you in choosing a carry round):

Sellier & Bellot .357 magnum 158-gr JSP
average velocity 1077 fps, extreme spread of 37.47, standard deviation of 13.82.

Remington .38 spl +P 158-gr LSWCHP
avg velocity 842.3 fps, ES 31.49, SD 12.88

Federal .38 spl +P+ 147-gr Hydra-Shok
avg vel 896 fps, ES 25.4, SD 8.67

Winchester .357 145-gr STHP
avg 1175 fps, ES 84.78, SD 32.93

I've decided to go with the Winchester Silvertip .357s.

I had a 13 (4" tube, though) years ago, and remember it fondly.

Tacoma

The mod 13 was esentially the 357 mag flavor of the popular heavy barreled mod 10. Both fixed sight, blued steel, K frame, heavy barreled . Both very popular with the LOE crowd in their time. The 3" versions are especially desireable ( and next on my gotta have list;). WIW, the 13's bring a higher premium than the 10's due to their ability to handle 357 or 38's. Enjoy it!

Erich

Thanks! I actually prefer blue, though, aesthetically - so I'm on the lookout for a second just like yours! :)

k in AR

I found a "PC" model 13 at my local gun dealer awhile back... and the price was right.
Blue, bobed hammer, ported, 3 inch barrel, really nice trigger, almost NIB.
Shoots great and is a great carry. I did take the short "blond" grips off and put a set of rosewood finger grove grips on. The longer grips really help with follow-up shot control. Wish I had a dig. camera so I could show her off.