S&W Model 12 no dash snubby :)

smee78

Hello everyone,

So I'm sure you all have been there, your at one of your local haunts and there it is. Calling you from the shelf, asking you to help it out and adopt it. Well that happened to me, I found a S&W 12 no dash snubby. The gun is a square butt, flat latch and will likely be added to the walking the dog rotation of guns. She is no beauty queen but has honest wear and will make a great addition to the collection. So besides making sure it had a steel cylinder was there anything else I needed to worry about? Any problems besides the cylinder on these? I didn't have the cash on me so it went on lay-a-way for a month or so and will post pictures once its out of the clink.

dgludwig

I have a "-2", round butt variant and it, along with a vintage Colt Cobra, is one of my favorite revolvers to carry concealed. I only fire "standard" velocity .38 Special ammunition in either of these aluminum alloy-framed guns to keep "wear and tear" down to a minimum.

smee78

Thanks yall, I did not see any cracks at the forcing cone so I hope I didn't miss anything. I had planned on running standard pressure ammo through it and see how my bunny fart reloads work in it.:p The gun comes with wood grips, don't know if they are the originals or not but they look like they have been on the gun for a good number of years.

JERRYS.

post #3 is really the only concern. if it passes that then load her with standard pressure stuff and live long and prosper.

smee78

Well I finally got my S&W model 12 out of lay-a-way and she is better than I remember her being. The frame shows no sign of cracks and the grips are stamped with the serial number inside them. I added a new in the box NOS S&W grip adapter to complete the look but will likely take it back off and look for a Tyler T grip.

Attachments

• S&W 12 1.jpg
    S&W 12 1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 86
  • S&W 12 2.jpg
    S&W 12 2.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 66
  • S&W 12 3.jpg
    S&W 12 3.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 60

105kw

On my 12-1, the T grip was too wide.

Pachmyr grip adapter, their version of the T grip, works better in my opinion.
I found mine on eBay.

On earlier guns I'd check to make sure the ejecter rod is tight. I had one loosen under recoil.

Great gun, good luck with it.

burrhead

On my 12-1, the T grip was too wide.

The frame is about an 1/8" narrower than a standard K frame so there's only a 1/6th of overlap on each side. I have a Tyler T on my 12-1 and it works for me. Unfortunately, I guess, mine has almost no wear so it's a semi safe queen. Never been in a holster but does get some wadcutters put through it a couple of times a year.

The OP has a nice looking gun there and certainly carriable.

GyMac

My Model 12 is from 1980. It has a 4 inch barrel and round butt and one of the best triggers on any S&W I own. I couldn't be happier with it! Congratulations on yours!