S&W model 10

NVBigEd

I was in my LGS yesterday and they had a S&W model 10, in @80% condition with Pachmayr grips for $225 out the door. It functions well, at least as well as I can tell... I don't have a revolver and I'd like to get one.

The trigger felt terrific ib both single and double, but the bore was filthy so i couldn't check the rifling....

Any comments on whether it is worth picking up at that price?

aarondhgraham

If it works,,,

And the bore isn't all rusted out,,,
$225 is not a bad price at all.

Try and do an even @200 though,,,
That would be my bid for an 80% specimen.

Aarond

chupps

If a seller does not even take the time to clean the barrel before putting it up for sale that might be an indication of how the gun has been treated during its life.

As far as pricing goes, I'd check gunbroker.com to see what the market is.

NVBigEd

If a seller does not even take the time to clean the barrel before putting it up for sale that might be an indication of how the gun has been treated during its life.

As far as pricing goes, I'd check gunbroker.com to see what the market is.

It appears to be a "trade in" from a "bulk" source.... The 80% estimate is partly due to the filthy bore... The general fit and finish is actually pretty good compared to what I see on GB....

And the bore isn't all rusted out,,,
$225 is not a bad price at all.

Try and do an even @200 though,,,
That would be my bid for an 80% specimen.

Aarond

There was no rust, just some "holster wear" and some small through the finish surface scratches. They want $200 plus $25 for Mr. Brady...

BigJimP

Depends on what dash number it is ....and whether he'd let you clean the bore and inspect it or not ...

If he says no, I'd pass ...even if its only $ 50...

It was around 1993 when they went to synthetic grips on the model 10's in the dash 10 or so ...but I wouldn't buy a dash 10 or newer ( that's when the MIM stuff starts showing up ) on this model according to the S&W 3rd edition book.

But there are so many good Victory models, etc out there/ pre model 10's ...that are in very good shape ...that are selling for $ 150 - $ 250 ....so why buy this one ...

carguychris

What's the barrel length? If it's 4", is it the tapered barrel or heavy barrel?

In general, M10 barrel length values rank about like this:

3" > 2" > 5" > 6" or 4" heavy > 4" tapered

My thoughts?

3"- RUN, don't walk, back to the store and buy it. Rare gun. :)

2" or 5"- I'd probably buy it for that if the bore is halfway passable.

6" or 4"- marginal deal, I would prefer to clean and inspect the bore first, and it had better be nice.

NVBigEd

What's the barrel length? If it's 4", is it the tapered barrel or heavy barrel?

In general, M10 barrel length values rank about like this:

3" > 2" > 5" > 6" or 4" heavy > 4" tapered

My thoughts?

3"- RUN, don't walk, back to the store and buy it. Rare gun.

2" or 5"- I'd probably buy it for that if the bore is halfway passable.

6" or 4"- marginal deal, I would prefer to clean and inspect the bore first, and it had better be nice.

It's a 4" tapered model 10-5 with a pinned barrel. Thanks for the reply, that's good to know....

Webleymkv

If you can, take a bore snake with you to run through the bore. A pass or two with a dry bore snake will clean things up enough that you should be able to get a better idea of the condition of the bore. If the gun has a good bore, I'd say $225 is a decent price but if the bore is in poor condition or the dealer won't let you run a bore snake through it, I'd pass.

redlevel42

I would give $225 for two or three Model 10-5s today, even if the bore was a little nasty. People do more damage cleaning guns than they do shooting them. Buy it.

l98ster

I would agree. 225 for an 80% model 10 is not bad. Whats great about the model 10's, is that not only is it a great gun, but those police trade ins look worn mostly to holster wear. Most of those police model 10's are used very little.

My father signed over his model 10 to me when he retired from the NYPD. I have used that gun more in the last 6 months than he has in the last 30 years!! I LOVE IT!!!

-George

KyJim

Any Model 10 in good mechanical condition and without significant rusting or pitting would be worth $225, IMO. I would ask to take the grips off to check for significant rust there.

mtnbkr

But there are so many good Victory models, etc out there/ pre model 10's ...that are in very good shape ...that are selling for $ 150 - $ 250 ....so why buy this one

O Rly? Wanna sell me some of the $150-$200 models come across regularly? The last $200 M10 I saw in these parts was complete with the last inch of barrel as rusty as sewer pipe. That was 5 years ago. Rough examples with clean bores are $275+.

Pre-Model-10s are even more expensive, though you can sometimes get lucky and find one just under $300. Victory models? No way, no how. They're over $400 now.

Chris

TXGunNut

Hard to believe but the average LGS won't clean a dirty gun. No idea why but I make it work. I wouldn't bother to clean it but would pull off the grips as jim suggested. A filthy bore and a bit of surface rust are bargaining points. Use them. As long as the cylinder won't chamber a .357 round it's unlikely to be worn out. A Model 10 is a class act, even @ 80%.

Joe_Pike

I bought a nearly perfect model 10-5 with a 5" barrel last year for $325 (no box or papers). I don't know if that might give you a yardstick to measure by or not.

NVBigEd

Thanks for all the responses and input. I picked up the Model 10 last night, and after a little Balistol and a good "rub down", my opinion on the finish has improved quite a bit.

It's not a "NIB" example, but for being probably 40 years old, it looks and functions great! The grips that are on it have gotta go, but I am very pleased with my purchase. No pics as yet, but I'll get it out to the range this weekend (or sooner) and I'll give a report and post some pics...

NVBigEd

Can anyone help me with an approximate age or production date for my Model 10? The serial number is D 268**.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Idahoser

in cleaning out my grandmother's house my sister found a Smith & Wesson box, opened it to see a gun, put it back for me to check.

Seems my great grandfather had bought a new 10-5 to celebrate my birth in the very early sixties, took it out of the box to load six .38 Spl LRNs, and put it back in the plastic bag, back in the box, and it never saw the light of day until my sister found it this year. Not a fingerprint on it.

I'd heard people talk about "that old style S&W bluing", but I didn't really "get it" til I saw that revolver.

Webleymkv

The grips that are on it have gotta go

If you don't mind the larger target-style stocks, CDNN has got some very nice smooth rosewood ones with S&W medallions that fit square-butt K-Frames for $38.99 right now (I believe they're Herrett's but I don't remember for sure). I got a set for my M28 when they had N-Frame ones in stock and they're so nice that I think I need to refinish the old revolver to match the nice stocks.

http://www.cdnnsports.com

amprecon

I found a 4" 10-5 at a gun store in Brighton, TN a few years back, sucker looked brand new aside from two small rust spots, one on the cylinder and one near the muzzle. Thing looked like it had never been shot, I picked it up for $300. It was all original with the half-moon front sight, pencil barrel and original grips, I put some Tyler T-grips on it and just won't part with it, very accurate.
BTW I like shooting 158gr. lswc bullets through it, both my daughter and myself are scary accurate with it, the action is smooth as butter.
I prefer the older S&W revolvers, they just seem better made and prettier.