S&W Model 10

john1911

Saw one of these at my local shop today. Bore looked good, locked up tight, finish was good (95%). It looked pretty old. Listed for $250.00. I didn't think to note the serial#.

Would this make a good plinker? Price seems right compared to Gunbroker. Any info on this model would be appreciated.

Neophyte1

good

john1911: good gun; price seems about right. Make sure of the date and be sure to check the barrel [if marked] for +P
Older ones maybe not intended for the newer powder.

john1911

john1911: good gun; price seems about right. Make sure of the date and be sure to check the barrel [if marked] for +P
Older ones maybe not intended for the newer powder.

How do I check the date? I've searched and can't find a database.

Is it safe to use regular .38 special ammo in any gun marked .38 Special?

I don't know anything about these older revolvers. I've been looking on GB trying to decide which -# it was. Looks like it may be a -5. The front sight looked almost like a half circle. I wish I would have got the serial #.

22-rimfire

Yep shoot 38's. The reference of choice for Smiths is the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. You will find serial number info in it. I do believe the serial number ranges are listed on line. But try over at the Smith & Wesson forum. If it is available, it should be a sticky.

Last edited:
Post your serial number here.

Quite a few of us have the Standard Catalog of S&W and can provide you with all of the information that you need.

Laz

According to a Smith and Wesson manual for revolvers revised 6/93 on page 11, it says that "+P ammuntion should not be used in medium (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958 (which are) identified by the absence of a Model Number stamped inside the yoke cut of the frame". If your revolver is a Model 10, it was manufactured after that date and is safe for +P ammuniton with the caveat that S&W recommends regularly checking for increased wear if you shoot +P exclusively or a lot. If you mostly shoot standard pressure for your plinking (which is likely), a modest amount of +P is highly unlikely to harm your revolver if it is marked Model 10 and is in good condition. I'm really conservative about shooting +P in older airweights (I don't do it) but have no qualms about Model 10s. It's my opinion but it's your gun, I'd keep asking till I was sure one way or the other.

armoredman

Love my 10-8, greatest wheelie I ever owned. I handload and cast for it.

outdated.jpg

Chesster

According to a Smith and Wesson manual for revolvers revised 6/93 on page 11, it says that "+P ammuntion should not be used in medium (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958 (which are) identified by the absence of a Model Number stamped inside the yoke cut of the frame". If your revolver is a Model 10, it was manufactured after that date and is safe for +P ammuniton with the caveat that S&W recommends regularly checking for increased wear if you shoot +P exclusively or a lot.

I have used this rule of thumb for many years now. As far as price, I recently found some excellent M64s in the 200-225 range on the auctions. I also found some Ruger Security/Police Service 6s for less than 200.

Richard

Good gun, put some cheap grips on it and it will look like this; yes, the fitted grips are worth more than my M10:) Regards, Richard:D

Model10.jpg

amprecon

That's a pretty good price, if it is a 10-5 it was probably built in the 60's like mine. I love posting this pic, the only wheelie I own right now and I love it.

attachment.php

Rob96

My wife told that after the holidays she wants a Model 10 so she could go to the range with me and have something for in the house.:D