S&W model 10, worth my time?

SpookBoy

Im browsing for a new-to-me revolver. Im interested in the ones advertised in the ShotGun News-s&w model 10 4in. heavy bbl. 199$ V.G. condition.. 38sp
Am I wasting my time(rumors ShotGun news guns are junk??) ? Another inquiry is this, I dont like the fixed groove rear sight on these guns.How hard would it be to have a trij. outline or white out-line rear sight installed?I would be using it as a Hiking companion/all around shooter.

As always thanks for the feedback.:D

Jkwas

I just purchased a police trade in mod 10 from jgsales for $199 and it's great. Hardly been shot. Has a bit of holster wear but that's it. The standard sights are fine and easy to aquire. You could put a bit of nail polish on the front, but for what you want it for they're great guns.
http://www.jgsales.com

oldmaster111

I have a S&W mod 13 which is a mod 10 in .357 with bull barrel. Finest revovler I've ever owned. Paid $150.00, 15 years ago. Never regretted it.

Ignatz

The sights on a model 10 at first look ineffective, but with practice and learning how to see the sights.......there just fine. If you really think you need a rear sight, then hold out for a model 15. In my area there about $250 to $325. I have both and would probably carry the model if I was hiking, fishing or camping.

Russ5924

My M10 is just as accurate as any of my revolvers with adjustable sights will shoot dead on at 25 yards but using my reloads:)

Tom2

Sights

If you are gonna take it as a trail companion, versus target shooting, it might be a good idea to highlight the front sight with bright orange or something like that, that would contrast better against natural targets versus a bullseye on white paper. My opinion, it would be a waste of time to spend alot putting a rear adj. sight on a 10, somehow.(Unless you have a pal who is a gunsmith and gives you a break) Recommend something like the model 15 that was mentioned by others. Probably less expensive than the custom work involved. I would expect it to shoot to point of aim with the heavier bullets rather than something like a real light +P bullet, I believe the factory attempts to regulate the .38 with a standard velocity 158 grain, but a +P 158 should be about the same, on target.

carl418

I agree with the suggestion to get a model 15. I have a m15, got it a couple of weeks ago. I paid $250 for it, and its sooooo sweet!

epr105

I have several model 10 revolvers. I got them all from guy's retireing or transitioning to the 9MM or .40 S&W. They are strong and reliable and I think they have a nostalgia about them. The first one I got was the 4" Standard barrell. Then the 4" HB, 3" HB and I have to go pick up the 2" "I just bought sight unseen.
The Model 10 is a well made reliable revolver. It is not fancy, It does not have a high capacity Magazine. It will get the job done.
EPR105

Scribe

The S&W model 10 is a first rate piece of kit, I carried them on and off for 15 years. Always liked them. I can't comment on the source but if you get one in decent shape, don't touch the trigger, put some Pachmyer signatures or similar on it and it will surprise you. It is what it is, old fashioned, untrendy, unfussy, dependable. The ones we had were dead on with a 125 grain +P. Pistols and revolvers are denied the upright citizen in this country now, but I hope to get out to the states next year and will try and find somewhere to have a shoot with one for old times sake.

parrothead2581

Will the shipping and handling ($20-30 I'm guessing) plus my dealer's charge of $25 for an FFL transfer, make purchasing one of the Model 10's a bit high? The asking price from J&G is $199.95 so when all is said and done it will be around $250. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jkwas

Mine was $258 out the door, and worth every cent. A new one is about $450 out the door. Aside from holster wear, mine is new. ;)

XavierBreath

First, the rumors of SGN guns being junk are unfounded, and you must consider the source. The source probably orders the same guns at the same price, marks them up and sells them.

That being said, in my area, $199 is the going rate for a Model 10. Thus i have not bought one from J&G. After the shipping and FFL fee, it's just not a good deal anymore. If Model 10s go for $250 and up in your area, the $199 price might be viable.

The used Model 10 is probably the most under rated, best value gun out there. I own three Model 10s and quite a few of it's ancestors, the M&P. The Model 10 is inexpensive because it was produced in large quantities over a long period of time, not because the quality is poor. They are every bit as accurate as any other S&W, and just as durable. They just have fewer bells ad whistles.

If you decide to go with a J&G Model 10, J&G will back up their product to your satisfaction. Do not expect a gun that looks like it is brand new, all of these are LEO trade-ins. Expect one that works. The good thing is that you will get it for a song, and you will not be afraid to use it like it was meant to be used.

bothModel10-5s.jpg

Two Model 10-5s

Jack Malloy

One of my friends is a police chief in a rural Ky town and he still carries his model 10 every day as a service weapon.
He makes more money than I do, and I am sure that if he wanted to, he could carry a Mark II .45 with a 12 round magazine, or a Gold Gup, or a .40 Berretta or Glock for that matter.
Its reliable, its accurate and its durable.
In an area where there are lots of biuldings you dont have to worry so much about overpenetration either.
I wouldnt worry about glow in the dark sights. Years ago Delta Force used to use a glow in the dark paint on their pistols...till they found out it gave them away in the dark....
I just wish somebody would come up with a fixed rear sight for guns with adjustable sights so I could convert my adjustable sight revolvers to fixed.....Maybe one day I will have a gunsmith work over some Novak type sights to be screwed into my topstraps....

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
" . . . rumors ShotGun news guns are junk??"

Shotgun News is a periodical whose reason for being is to sell ads, both classified and commercial. Practically anyone with anything even vaguely related to shooting may buy advertising space. The publishers have practically no responsibility to back up anything offered for sale in their pages. They do, or at least used to, publish uniform grading standards for used firearms, based on the NRA standards.

Any time you order anything sight unseen, there is an element of risk. There is some protection aginst fraudulent offers, true, but mainly, it's a matter of "Buyer Beware." When dealing with commercial firms, the buyer's main protection, though, is the seller's reputation. There have been some misleading and untrue offers made in Shotgun News, but overall, most dealings are pretty fair. We must realize, though, that no seller advertises except for the purpose of making at least some money.

Many advertisers have bought SGN ads for many years, and presumably stay around because people buy their goods and are content with the results. JG has been in business for decades, largely selling agency trade-in firearms. They have advertised in SGN for most of that time. It is in their interest to keep their customers satisfied, and this generally means good merchandise for reasonable prices. They have a good reputation for "making good" when the inevitable minor misunderstandings occur. JG's ads for used merchandise usually contain accurate descriptions of the goods. It is inefficient and poor business practice to offer, say, S&W Model 10s in "Very Good to Excellent condition" if they are only "Fair" to "Good." One, it costs time and shipping to make exchanges or refunds, and two, word gets around if they overstate condition. If anything, they frequently underrate condition.

Look at the JG Sales the ad at - -
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/handguns/s-w-revolvers/cPath/16_17
The item, "S&W Model 10, 38spl caliber, 4" heavy bbl, round butt. G-VG" will always be in good working condition with a lot of factory finish on it. It will likely show significant exterior wear from being carried in a holster - - It's a trade-in, after all -- some were in service for several years and carried LOT. SOME may have been in the final group issued before the type was phased out, or were issued to cops who carried a personal weapon, leaving the issue piece home, and these might actually be VG to Excellent. But any one JG ships will meet minimun standards -- or else they'll have to make it good. Their display ads in SGN and on the 'Net show the current offers, but their BEST advertising is from satisfied buyers. (See post #2 above.)

Best of luck to you-
Johnny

RsqVet

If you are worried about shipping you might want to check pawn shops, or other gun shops they frequently have a mod 10 or a few at that price point or close so you could save on shipping and have a gun that you have inspected yourself before purchase.

Titus

The item, "S&W Model 10, 38spl caliber, 4" heavy bbl, round butt. G-VG" will always be in good working condition with a lot of factory finish on it. It will likely show significant exterior wear from being carried in a holster - - It's a trade-in, after all -- some were in service for several years and carried LOT.

I got the same VG 3" Model 10 from J&G that Jkwas did and this is a good description I think. The gun was the cliche of carried a lot and shot a little. There is some minor blue wear on the bottom front of the frame and at the muzzle, but very little. Mechanically, it's like new. However, when I look, say, at the side plate, which I could otherwise comb my hair in, there are faint random marks that you can see when you hold it close. My best guess is this gun spent almost its entire life in a holster and got randomly bumped against things by an officer going about his business. I'm going to wait and see what else they get in, as I'd definitely risk a buck ninety-nine with them again based on this one.