S&W Model 10 and +P ammo

okiefarmer

I can't throw anything away, and was just given some ammo from a neighbor that got it from his Dad's stuff. He has no use for it, and brought it over. About a half a box of 125gr HP Remington +P 38 Special ammo. I shoot nearly all my own cast lead reloads for just plinkin' and generally not loaded even close to max, but if the M-10 bull barell I have will handle the +P, I'll keep these for HD rounds.

TIA,

Okie out

Larry C.

Save +P for home defense

Howdy,

I called Tom Gresham on his radio show today with this question. Told him that my wife's HD gun is a late 60s S&W model 10 w/ 5-inch "pencil" barrel in Nickel stainless. I asked him if +P was suitable in an older revolver.
He said for personal defense, just load that fine S&W with good factory +P and it would be fine-as long as I remembered to use standard pressure ammo at the range. Hope this helps.

Larry C.

Last edited:

okiefarmer

Thanks Larry, and sorry mods for putting that in the wrong forum. Just saw handguns in general and posted. My bad.

Sounds like +P is OK for occasional use according to your radio reply. Steady diets of max ammo would be tough on anything I suppose. I think this ammo will go on the shelf and get loaded when it's at home only then.

Thanks again.

bamaranger

+P+

My agency shot +P+ .38 out of K-frames, 10, 15, 19, 66 with little probs.

When we made the jump to mags the 19 and 66, already w/ some age on them, started to slip.

But +P should be fine, esp if only on occasion.

michael t

+P today about what was the norm for 38 spl in old days They down load ammo today to many lawyers Limited amount won't hurt it

Head-Space

I have a Smith & Wesson Mod. 10, 4" heavy barrel, heavy frame. It's chambered for .38 Spl., but it's the same gun as the .357 Mag. Ported, and a nice trigger job, it's one of my favorite handguns.

Laz

An old Smith and Wesson Revolver Safety and Instruction Manual clearly states that plus P ammunition should not be used in K-frame revolvers manufactured prior to 1958 which would be identified by the lack of a model number stamped inside the yoke cut of the frame. If your revolver is marked "Model 10" it should have been manufactured after 1958 and should be good to go, at least in moderate amounts.