S&W Mod. 645?

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Anybody remember those? It was Don Johnson's choice back when on Miami Vice. Just wondering 'cause I still have one and it's still my #1 duty carry. It's great! Eats anything you put in the mag and comes back for more, and it puts the flying ashtrays in the X ring every time (unless I screw it up :D ). But, it seems they didn't last long on the market, and you rarely see one any more. If you have or had one, what did you like about it, or what didn't you? Only problem I ever had with it was the starboard decock lever screw kept coming loose, but a little lock-tight took care of that.

Hawken1911

Hi Charlie,

I have a S&W 645. I really like mine and wouldn't trade it. It should have some historical/collectors value someday because I read it was the first U.S. produced DA/SA semi-auto chambered for .45, following the success of the Sig 220. I've only heard good comments about this gun, which is pretty good considering there were supposedly over 20 design improvements made when S&W discontinued it and replaced it the 4506 (which is now discontinued as well). One of the improvements was with the magazines. Mine came with the original magazines and I occasionally had a FTF. But after purchasing new factory mags it has functioned flawlessly.

I put custom wood grips on mine and had it converted to DAO. I also had an action hone done, and added a reduced power hammer spring on it. Mine is extremely accurate, but I don't shoot fast very well with the DAO trigger. But I picked it up because I was given a really good deal on it, and it's just for plinking and back-up home defense.

It's good to hear from another 645 fan.

Take care,

Hawken1911

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Hawkin1911

Thanks for the input! I guess the only modification I made to mine was to add custom grips fitted to my hand, and blacked out the top of the slide to reduce glare. I personally think this was the best .45 auto Smith ever put out. Wonder why it didn't catch on & why so many later modifications? What's that old saying? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm like you. The only way my 645 will leave me will be through my estate auction when I croak. :D

Robert Allison

I might be mistaken, but believe that I was just looking through a glass dealer-case a couple of days ago at a brand new 645, I believe it was a Performance Center number, a bit spendy (more than $1000 is what I recall, but not the last three digits) and a very nice looking gun.

hatchet

Man, I wish I still had mine. That gun like my Sig 220 fit in my hand just like my 1911's. Can't stand the grip on the 4506, to narrow, can't seam to get good sight alignment as it turns in my hand. Got rid of my 1006 for the same reason. Called the guy I sold it to several years ago to try to buy it back.
Unfortunatly, he sold it.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I got mine when they first came out in the 80's (?) If memory serves (half the time it don't any more :rolleyes: ), I paid over 500. for it then, and it's been worth every cent. There was also a model 745 that was a little fancier and a little more pricey, but I believe it was single action. In overall size, it dwarfs the 1911, but I like it that way (big hands). I wonder if that had anything to do with it's downfall? :confused:

ISP2605

In the mid-90s I commanded 2 mid-level drug task forces. My issued gun at the time was a 469 but I carried my own 645 and the a 457 as backup. Great guns. Both would feed anything I'd put it them. The 645 has the edge on accuracy but the 457 isn't far behind. The only thing I did to my 645 was drop in a set of Wolff springs. I liked the 645 because it was big and shiny, in addition to a great shooter. When we went thru doors everyone could see that gun. Even tho bigger I can conceal it better than a 5904 or Glock 23 as the butt is thinner. I still grab it for off duty carry.

JohnLizCas

Have owned a 645 for 2 yrs now (bought from a retired LEO). Fine pistol, easy to pick up sights,and fits like a glove. Love to shoot it. It only has about 500 rounds through it so its almost new. Wouldnt trade or sell it ever.

Hawken1911

ISP2605,

I was a licensed P.I. in the 90's and I also carried a 457. I loved every aspect of that compact .45, except I couldn't group well with it. The sights were good, trigger smooth, but it was not accurate for me. I'm a decent shot with just about every type of handgun, and something about that gun and me didn't click, and it was definitely me and not the gun. My friends could pick it up and shoot great with it. It was a really odd thing, so I eventually sold it and moved on. The 645 had been a great shooter though.

Hawken1911