S&W mod 19 FTF

burrhead

I bought a used S&W mod 19 last week that locks up tight and, though it has a lot of holster wear, doesn't appear abused. After shooting 150 .38 reloads I've had 2 light primer hits. The rounds fired with a second strike. I'm sure this is not ammo related as I've shot about 800 rounds from this batch with no problems.
The trigger pull seems normal, not overly light. The strain screw is unaltered and the "inerds" appear factory correct although all I've done so far is take off the side plate and work the action. The firing pin looks OK.
Anyway, where do I start to diagnose the problem. Rebound spring? Try a new hammer spring (don't have one on hand, I'd have to get one from Brownells)? HELP!

------------------
Join the NRA.

[This message has been edited by burrhead (edited June 11, 2000).]

Jim V

Primers not seated all the way? First strike seated them, second fired them.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

burrhead

No Jim V, I'm sure my ammo's OK only because I reload in big batches and I've fired about 800 rounds out of this batch in other guns with no untoward incidents. Thanks for the reply though.

------------------
Join the NRA.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Since your ammo worked in other guns, I doubt that it's a case of too-hard primers.

Probably the cheapest "cut-and-try" would be to put in a new, stock hammer-spring. You don't know the history; there's no telling who's done what...

If that doesn't work, I'll give you $50 on speculation...

:), Art

BBBBill

Check endshake, headspace, Firing pin protrusion, bent/jammed firing pin, obstruction in firing pin hole, burrs on sides of hammer recess, hammer drag in frame, weak/light mainspring, shortened strain screw..........

burrhead

Thanks for the suggestions guys. No real end shake, firing pin's fine. Going to check in the morning for burrs I might of missed and call Brownells for a hammer spring and strain screw. Man, I love this site. :)
Thanks again.

------------------
Join the NRA.

Grayfox

I'd suspect the strain screw. Its a common trick to file the screw to lighten trigger pull, but it often leads to unreliable ignition. Also, some questionable gun show dealers have deliberately backed off or otherwise tinkered with the strain screw to sell a gun on its great trigger.

------------------
TFL's official "Curmudgeon Member" and damned proud of it!
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

burrhead

The srain screw is unaltered but the screw head is boogered so I ordered a new one plus a new main spring this morning. Seemed like a good place to start and they're certainly cheap. Looked at the spent primers I fired yesterday and the dimples are a little shallow and off center. Not sure what the lack of center hits means. The firing pin checks out OK. I'll see what happens with the new main spring installed. Thankfully I don't have much money invested in this gun so it makes sense to spend a little to correct any problems. Kind of a fun puzzle also. :)

------------------
Join the NRA.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
If the strain screw head is "Boogered", that's a sign someone's been messin' with it. Bet new parts fix the glitch and your 19 becomes a great shooter...