S&W Mod 10

KyJim

Are you talking about prices on new or used Model 10s?

But, to answer your question, yes there is a future for the Model 10. A lot of folks still like revolvers and don't necessarily need or want the power or weight of a L-frame or N-frame .357 magnum.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Apparently there are enough "old fashioned" police and other folks around, here and abroad, for S&W to keep the Model 10 in the line. I know there are many, many more "modern" guns, but I consider an old (pre-lock)* M&P revolver about an ideal gun for a "non-gun" person.

It is super reliable, has moderate recoil and blast, is easy to use without complications, and the 4" barrel is long enough to be useful in a "point and shoot" situation without being long enough to be awkward or catch on things. Guns with multiple gadgetry, seven way triggers and 28 round magazines are fine for those who like them, but the old S&W will get the job done without fuss.

*I am not an anti-lock person, but for a simple gun, the fewer complications the better.

Jim

Jeff #111

I'm very fond of the M&P/Model 10. I own three M&P's (mfd. 1902, 1913, 1947) and I have no intention of letting them go. What I really find interesting is that there is evidently enough business for the "antiquated" Model 10 to keep it going. Not the stainless steel Model 64, but the blued Model 10. In 2012 mind you there are still customers for a 38 Special blue steel revolver. Wow.

dscampbell

SW model 10-5 3"
photo-20.jpg
Like the commercial said takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

gunsmokeTPF

I was issued my S&W heavy barrel model10 in 1968 and will never let it go. No other gun I own has had more rounds put through it proving it's flawless function. My recommendation is to purchase the older ones and not current manufacture and that goes for any model smith. That's only my opinion.

Baba Louie

Is there a future for the S&W Model 10? The prices are all over the place!
You say that like it is a bad thing or something...

You want a new one or an older 3" HB or maybe a 5" tapered P&R?.

Old action, pre 57, post 57 or new (Want a lock on it or not?)

Snub nose or 6"?

Used LEO or old mil surp thats BTDT?

PPC special smithed up gun?

Square or round butt?

Old but NIB?

Yeap, prices are all over the place. For a reason some might opine. ;)

(and we won't even go into the stainless steel world or adjustable sighted variants)

shafter

The Model 10 with a 4inch tapered barrel is my favorite handgun. It looks good, feels good, and shoots good. Even the price is good. What more can you want?

Shadi Khalil

Yesterday I handled a old Model 10 in great condition along with a newer production model 10, side by side. The new Model 10 was really nice but not nice enough to justify the almost $300 premium. Despite that, it's a design that has endured and will continue to do so in the future. Anyone with an appreciation for balance, accuracy and beauty will be naturally drawn to the model 10.

S&W Model 10

:)Thanks for all your input to the future of the model 10. I am sure that we will have it for the forseable future, and I am very glad so many feel the same, It's a great gun!

Walklightly

April 6, 2010, 02:58 PM

Tahitian

help w/S&W mod 10-8 age

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone help me to date a S&W Mod.10-8 serial # 5D495xx
How

S&W Model 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your input to the future of the model 10. I am sure that we will have it for the forseable future, and I am very glad so many feel the same, It's a great gun!
can I post this request?

yep

Rapidray

The best model 10...

There will always be a future for model 10, and I believe it will be the most affordable of all the S&W's...now the best model 10 out there is the 10-6 in 357 magnum! I love the special wide trigger and wide hammer they were given! If S&W had put those 2 changes into all there K-frames, they would have sold a lot more revolvers! Because of the 10-6 we have the model 13!

CajunBass

Someone in another thread described big bore revolvers as the "muscle cars" of the gun world.

If that's true, the Model 10 is the mini-van or the four door sedan. Often scorned, and laughed at, it just keeps on doing the job it was designed for, without any smoking tires, or fancy paint. It just stands ready to go when called on.

gyvel

I've always said that, if I ever had to literally pick up and run, the gun I would grab would be a Model 10.

tekarra

The model 10 has so many good points about it that keeps it going. I like the older ones, but wish S&W would offer more varieties of the 10.

357 Python

The model 10 was literally the backbone of the S&W lineup. Most all of their revolvers can be traced back to the model 10. The 15 is little more than a 10 with adjustable sights. The 19 is a 357 Magnum version of the 15. You can see how the line progressed from the 10. The model 10 is still as viable to day as it was 40 years ago when most law enforcement officers carried one or something very similar. In my opinion the 10 is one gun every serious collector should have in their collection.

Last edited:

ckpj99

My Model 10 is easily the best gun I've ever shot, revolver or semi-auto. Mine was a police trade-in with the smoothest damn double action in the world. And I've never shot any gun with a lighter, crisper single action.

When I was purchasing my first handgun purchase with my own money. I was trying to decide between a Glock 19 and some type of S&W K Frame. I know it sounds like night and day, but the Glock 19 is a great gun and I shoot them very well. I didn't know much about revolvers, other than my family's H&R .22. I was worried about the trigger and not having magazines, but I said to hell with it.

I went into the gun store and sitting there was a Model 10-6 4 inch HB. I dry fired it once with the shop owner's permission and I was hooked. Before that, I'd shot a probably 15-20 different guns, since then, I've probably shot 25-30 more. It's the best.

I state firmly that the trigger on my Model 10 is better than any gun in the universe. Many have challenged that statement, but none have disproved it.

GM2

I was issued my S&W heavy barrel model10 in 1968 and will never let it go. No other gun I own has had more rounds put through it proving it's flawless function. My recommendation is to purchase the older ones and not current manufacture and that goes for any model smith. That's only my opinion

That is my opinion also Gunsmoke. Mine was issued to me in 1967. Carried it for ten yrs and then they issued the stainless model 64's. The gun dealer that the department dealt with let anyone purchase the 10 for the amount he allowed for them on the trade. I bought mine and it was the best gun bargain I ever had. I still have it and it shoots as well as it did back then.

Last edited: