S&W Military & Police .22 pistol

Jeff22

Does anybody out there have any experience with the S&W M&P in .22?

I have a bunch of .22 conversion units for various handguns and my AR-15 and AK-47. I like to do my "routine" skill maintenance practice with the .22 on NRA B-34 reduced targets @ 50 feet because it's cheaper.

I don't (yet) own an M&P pistol but they intrigue me . . . and I plan to add one to my battery sometime in the future. I think. :cool:

Shotgun693

Years ago some Departments, who hired local City Slickers with no (as in 0) gun experience, would start their Trainees out with .22s that were as close as they could get to their Service Revolver. I remember ads where they would sell off the .22s after they changed to autos. I should have bought a .22 copy of a S&W M10, fixed sights and all, but didn't. I imagine most are setting in collections now. Very many were never offered to the General Public.
Your idea is not new and any practice shooting helps train you for whatever real world shooting you do.

varoadking

Does anybody out there have any experience with the S&W M&P in .22?

Yes... :D

MP22001.jpg

Jeff22

S&W M&P pistol in .22

I just saw that Leroy Thompson had a review of the .22 cal M&P pistol in the latest issue of SWAT magazine.

One of my shooting buddies works at a gun shop that has an indoor range and he just emailed me yesterday to say that they now have both the 9mm M&P and the .22 cal M&P available for rental guns, so I'll have to take a road trip over there and shoot both and see.

I'll report back on the .22 -- several people have said that the trigger actually does NOT feel like that of the bigger guns, but I have no experience myself yet

I have a little trigger time in with the M&P in .40, and I liked it, but I really need to do some more shooting with it

Fishbed77

I'll report back on the .22 -- several people have said that the trigger actually does NOT feel like that of the bigger guns, but I have no experience myself yet

The M&P-22 is made by Umarex, and is based on their P22 (sold as a Walther, but not made by Walther). The aethetics are just revised to look like the M&P-series pistols. The internal operation is pretty much completly different from those pistols.

Last edited:

Fishbed77

Have you seen the Ruger SR22, it looks just like the Walther 22.

I have, and while it looks similar to the Umarex P22, it is an entirely different design. It also uses an aluminum slide rather than zinc (potmetal) slide of the P22, so that will hopefully indicate a higher-quality and more durable firearm in the long run.

PT-92

I have thought about this but everything I have seen seems to indicate that you need premium .22lr ammo in order to get reliable cycling...? If the point is to substantially save on ammo...?

In other words, will it run generic Remington or Walmart bulk run just fine or not?

-Cheers

5R milspec

it will run any type of ammo.I have seen a youtube with a man showing the 22 modle in a M&P.he shoot all kinds of ammo through it.

glade you posted the post.I too have been looking at one for me and the girls to shoot.we really love to shoot a little 22.it just the cheap way to go these days.