S&w M66

doubleaes2

A friend of mine may be willing to let go of his model 66. It's stainless, four inch barrel and is LNIB. He has original box and the original stuff that came with it in the box. It looks unfired. What should I offer him? When I looked for the model number on the frame, there was no dash after the 66, and the barrel is pinned. Thanks for any help.

BillCA

If the gun is 100%, unfired in the box, I'd offer him $400 for it. Prices fluctuate depending on where you live, but the valuations for a NIB 66 run from $375 to $415.

If the barrel is pinned, the cylinder is probably recessed as well. In the older stainless guns, lubrication was key to keeping them in top shape.

SmokinTom

Offer him $300 for it,you won`t offend him.If he say`s no then talk to him but I would not go over $375.Good luck.

XavierBreath

SCS&W places the Model 66 NIB at $375. These prices are 5 years old now, and the K frame .357magnum is no more. Therefore, expect the market price to be around $400-420. This price is for a true NIB gun though, not a LNIB gun.

If you are planning on shooting this gun, there is no reason to purchase a stainless shooter gun that grades greater than excellent. That places the SCS&W price at $285. add a bit to compensate for inflation over time, and the percieved rarity of the K frame magnum :rolleyes: , and you get $300. If it's a P&R gun, that's a good thing, so toss in another $25.

That would mean my limit for a shooter Model 66 in excellent shape, P&R would be $325. I might go $350 for a friend in need, if he had a couple of boxes of ammo and a nice holster. Your buddy has a Model 66 that is LNIB. I wonder what he will take for it? ;)

SJshooter

Talk him up big about how many 66s they made and how many are out there and it's not even really a collector's item, just a functional gun S&W made a ton of. Then after he sells you, mention that they discontinued the 66 last year and suggest he go buy a 620 to replace it. :)