S&W M64 in .357Mag/.38 Special +P?

I saw a used S&W M64 SS 4" bbl for $200 at local pawn shop. It looks to be in very good condition, some handle wear, barrel looks clean, but as I dont' know much about revolvers I'm here to get some info. I went to SW website and it only confused me more. What's up with .357mag/.38spl+p ammo? can this revolver use both ammo?

I found out M64 was discontinued in the 90s....was there anything wrong with it? I'd appreciate any insights from those who own/owned a S&W M64. If I get it it'd be my 1st revolver. :)

VictorLouis

The .357 guns can chamber and shoot the shorter .38 Special cartridges, but not the reverse. Nothing wrong with the gun except perhaps slower sales than the company may have liked. Most large-frame .38s have gone that route due to the ability of their Magnum cousins to use the same ammo.:)

So what's a better round then? .357Mag or .38Spl+p?

Also what's up with S&W model numbers? There's the L, K frames, and then there are the 2 digit ones like M60, M64, M66, also 3 digit models like M686, M642? Can anyone just briefly explain it to me, or point me to a website that has the info?

The .357 is the more powerful round.

Better is VERY subjective.

.38 Spl. is better if you want cheaper ammo with less recoil.

.357 Mag. is better if you need something for defensive purposes.

FPrice

The Model 64 is only chambered for .38 Spl ammo. Except (according to Supica and Nahas) for some early ones made in .357 Magnum which later became the basis of the Model 65. If your is marked .38 Spl, then only use that caliber. If you are a beginner, the .38 will allow you to learn yet still provide a wide variety of rounds for practise, target shooting, or self-defense.

I have a Model 64 with the 2" barrel. It's a good little snubby, if a bit bigger perhaps than most. Mine feels a bit heftier than my other K-frames but that may be subjective.

For $200 this may be a good buy. I would suggest you consider buying it.

RON in PA

The model 64 (chambered in .38 special) is the stainless version of the model 10 and is still in production. The .357 equivilent is the model 65.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Either way, the Smith & Wesson model 64 (in .38
Special or .357 magnum) and the model 65 are
darn good guns; and I can't see you going wrong
with the purchase of either for $200!:cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

FotoTomas

A simple history of the model #'s:

In the beginning there were names. such as the "Military & Police", "Combat Masterpiece", ".357 Magnum".

Late 50's S&W numbered their pistols with a 2 digit number.

As models expanded they upped the numbers to three digits. The 3rd digit(prefix) was to designate the material in the pistol, 4=aluminum frame, 5=Carbon steel frame, 6=Stainless frame,

More models ensued and they went to 4 digits and I got lost. :)

Rail Gun

The S&W mod 64 was my first handgun. I love it and won't ever sell it. I found mine used at a pawn shop the day I turned 21 :). I don't think it had ever even been fired before. It was in absolutely perfect condition. I paid $230 for it and had them throw in a cleaning kit with it for free. It's a great gun and has been flawless. Mine is not chambered for .357 mag though, only the .38's. Be careful not to let the pawn shop pull a fast one by mislabeling the gun like some of then do. I have seen tags on a gun listing a different model number or wrong caliber, it may not even always be intentional, but out of ignorance. Be safe!