S&W M60 vs M686 accuracy?

coop2564

In another thread some seemed to indicate that in a given barrel length say 3" that the 686 would be more accurate than the smaller 60. Would that be a true statement? Would the heavier thicker gun on avg be more accurate? Not talking longevity, just .357 out of box same length barrel accuracy with similar sights?

Noreaster

Longer barrel = better sight radius. On the other hand I had a 6 inch 686 that didn't group as well as my SP101.

carguychris

In another thread some seemed to indicate that in a given barrel length say 3" that the 686 would be more accurate than the smaller 60. Would that be a true statement? Would the heavier thicker gun on avg be more accurate?
Assuming the barrel length is equal, I'm going to say "no" and "no" as far as absolute physical accuracy is concerned.

That said, the M686 should have a slight edge in practical accuracy due to:
  • Slightly longer sight radius
  • Smoother DA trigger pull
  • Grip size that's generally a better fit for folks with average to large hands
  • More recoil-absorbing weight = less flinching with high-powered loads
Of course, production tolerances will have an effect, but we're assuming all else is equal here.

Dragline45

I had a 3" model 60 for a couple years, although it was more accurate than a 2" model 60, it is not even close to how accurate my 686 is. It is great gun but it did not fill any particular need I had. It was not a range gun and it was not the best choice for concealed carry IMO so I sold it.

coop2564

Went to gun range and rented a 686 pro series 4'' today...gun felt great in hands and action very smooth, but it shot poorly and just after 20rds my face was stinging from splatter and powder from gun. Groups were decent at close range 7yds but at 15 and 25 even from sand bags poor. I had pretty much decided to get this gun but wanted to shoot one 1st at near $1k I'm glad I did. Also rented the M60 pro 3'' it shot better and no splatter back in my face but it did not shoot any better than my Charter arms 4" target .357 although the DA trigger was somewhat better. So i think i will just stick with what I have. Neither gun wowed me. :(

Sleuth

Any S&W that splatters your face is not properly timed, and needs to be adjusted.

Mechanical accuracy, from a machine rest, will be very close if not the same.
Practical accuracy, in your hands, depends on many things, mostly the grips. You can put big grips on a small frame gun, but that defeats the intent of concealed carry.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have a 3" square butt Model 36 that shoots very well, but it can't compete with my 686 for the reasons already discussed. But comparing the two is like saying that a dump truck doesn't handle as well as a sports car, or complaining that a load of coal gets the sports car dirty. We need to recognize that they are different guns, for different purposes.

Jim

coop2564

Dont know anything about the sports car and dump trucks but the 686 I shot would not hit the bulleye. And was not fun to shoot.

the357plan

Any S&W that splatters your face is not properly timed, and needs to be adjusted.

The last two brand new S&W 686s I have purchased readily pepper my face with unburnt powder (feels like splatter). 125s loaded hot seem to do this a lot. 158s having more inertia to overcome, will get the powder ignited better before crossing the cylinder gap. Consequently this peppering happens less with heavier bullets. And of course, 38 Special +P doesn't seem to pepper at all. None of my Colts, Rugers, J Frames or old 686s do this, just the new 686s. I think that sometime is the last 10 years or so S&W might have changed the chamber/throat/forcing cone/barrel geometry in someway to cause this. However, the new 686s seem to chronograph higher velocities than Colts and etc..

P.S. This is just my observation with some speculation.

the357plan

I haven't found a S&W 686 that I couldn't shoot well. They just fit my hand. I have found some ammo that shot poorly through my S&W 686s. But the same ammo didn't shoot any better in anything else.

I had the opinion (from my experience) that J Frames didn't shoot as good as the 686s. L Frames were heavier and had better sights (at least for me). However, one of my latest, a S&W 60 Pro, has changed my mind.

Sarge

You'd have to lock them in a Ransom Rest to tell any discernible difference in their mechanical accuracy, which is apparently what is asked here. In the end, I believe two things would come to light.

One, that the 60 shoots better than the vast majority of people think it will.

Two, that you have simply examined a single example of each and no meaningful conclusion can be drawn from such a small sample.

Of one thing I am certain. A well made snub will invariably shoot better than most people can hold it, even from rested positions.

Idahoser

the357plan said:
I haven't found a S&W 686 that I couldn't shoot well. They just fit my hand.
the same grips that fit K frames will also fit L frames, so you can fit it to any hand. Congrats on finding that the ones that came with your gun are the best for you, but you're not stuck with them.