S&W M547 3" with round butt

tlhelmer

Does anyone know where I can find one of these revolvers? I am fascinated by the prospect of a 9mm revolver. Does anyone know of a similar type of gun?

mikey357

tlhelmer-the Model 547 was make in the mid 80's, if I remember correctly...seems like there was the four-inch square-butt version and the three-inch round-butt version...don't know about total production numbers, but they ARE seen OCCASIONALLY on the market...If I wanted one, I'd periodically check the on-line auction sites, peruse Gun List and haunt gun shows. I'd rekon the going price would be in the $300.00-400.00 range...the lower number for a very good to excellent specimen, the higher figure for one unfired and NIB. Good Luck!!!....mikey357?

ellsworthtoohey

I bought a 3 in. round butt 547 back in 1985 at a gunshow. I still regret trading it off. It was an excellent gun. The ejector system was far superior to full and half moon clips. HKS even made a speedloader for it back then.

WIL TERRY

SMITH 3" 9MM SIXGUN, M547

Got one of these sent to me for testing and it was an outstanding pistol. It shot beautifully at very high velocities. The extraction system was marvelous; worked perfectly, and no brass tossed into the rattlesnake holes. COOL!!
After I was done with it I sent it back and later regretted that decision. DAMN, I had to have been braindead that day. I've since seen them at gunshows for obscene prices. TOO SOON OLD, TOO LATE SMART. TM

Jeff OTMG

547 is an excellent pistol and they do show up for sale in Gun List. Much more powerful than the model 10 .38 Spec and usually more powerful than a model 13 .357. Another smaller version is one of my favorite pocket carry pieces for blue jeans is the S&W 940, a 9mm J-frame.

tlhelmer

Thanks for the responses. I saw a review of it in the latest Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement. I learned several interesting things in that article. I never realized that a 9mm has better ballistics than the .38 spl. It also got me interested in revolvers again. My time and interest has been focused on semi-autos and rifles of late. I have rediscovered the great fun a revolver with a good trigger can be.