S&W M396 .44SPL Night Guard

KySilverado

I'm thinking about picking one up. I've handled one and like the way it feels.

Anybody have any personal experience with one? Accuracy, long term reliability. I tend to shoot what I own.... a lot.

Sig_Dude

If you are going to shoot it a lot, you'd better reload. First off, factory .44 Special loads are getting hard to come by. When you do find them, you're limited to a small selection of bullet weights and profiles. Second, factory .44 Special ammo is EXPEN$IVE!!! I have a blast reloading that round, no pun intended.

ArkieVol

.44 special

I chose the S&W 396 NG .44 special for several reasons.

First: It is built on the “L” frame which shares its grip size with the “K” models. I have a medium to small hand and the K frame size suits my hand nicely. On a personal note, I have only one useful hand and I can control the 396 well with one hand. I also swapped the stock grips for Hogue Bantams from S&W which expose the back strap but shortens the “reach” to the trigger.

Second: The .44 Special round is quite adequate for self defense and, at the moment, I carry it with 200gr. Winchester Silvertip HP's. The .44 special has been around since 1870 so it obviously has something positive going for it.

Third: The 396 NG weighs only 24 oz., and the 329 NG weighs 5 oz. more but, even with the added ounces, I can’t imagine why anyone would want to fire .44 magnums from it. The .44 magnum version will never be a target gun and I believe the .44 magnum is far too powerful for concealed carry self defense.

I’ve only had mine a short time and fired maybe 100 rounds so far but find it pleasant and controllable. The night sight is nice and easy to acquire. I reload and have only used two recipes with it. 200gr. lead with Trailboss and HP-38, but was happy with the results. Just got some .44 Russian brass to try as some plinking loads.

Ruger Redhawk and S&W 396 Night Guard
44s_march2010_bjpg.jpg

Hogue Bantam grips
model396nightguard_04.jpg

Gonzo_308

Why not just get the 629 44 Mag Night Guard? Of cours I'm bias, I don't see a need for a 44spl, "Much"!

Well, other than the obvious differences like the 396 being a 5 shot, alloy L frame and the 629 being a 6 shot stainless N frame gun. I guess I see your point.

Maybe some people want a carry gun that's more carry friendly.

KySilverado

Thanks for the input guys. Especially Arkievol.

I'm wanting the 396 over a 44 mag for many of the reasons stated. Lighter, still a capable SD weapon, easier to carry and its just.... different.

I do reload and have for years. Shot tons of 44 magnum and usually wind up with plinking loads anyway. Theres only so much full bore magnum loads I can take at a time now.