S&W M27 4 inch, how often for sale?

Elerius

Was reworking my gun list, and firmly decided on a M27 with a 4 inch barrel instead of the 5. I like that look the best and it fits my varietal niche perfectly. However, in research I find that a 4" 27 that is P&R was only produced 1978 to about 1980 when they began running out of pinned barrels. I want a blue one, and apparently most of the ones that do show themselves are nickel.

To my surprise, this exact gun just came up for sale via Gunbroker. I can probably *literally* afford to get it, but I may have to offload a gun or two that I could replace in the future as long as it doesn't bid sky high.

I know this gun is among the most, if not THE most, uncommon of regular production 27's. My question is, is this particular gun so hard to find that I might wait a very long time for another to come up and I should grab it while the chance is here? I don't want to kick myself and end up waiting years or something for another one to come around...

44 AMP

Staff
If you have your sights set on a 4" m27, you might wind up waiting a long time to find one (internet sales help A LOT) in that regard, compared to having to wait to find one in your local area. Price, of course, will be high.

If you want a gun that will do everything a 4" M27 does, except look as good, and is much more common, get a 4" M 28 Highway Patrolman.

Personally, I prefer the satin blue of the M28 to the high luster blue of the M27, but that's a personal matter.

If you've got to have a 4" 27, get one when you find it. Otherwise, you will be kicking yourself for years, or longer, waiting for the next one to show up.

Good Luck!

SaxonPig

As you know, only made for about three years and many are seen with unpinned barrels intended for the -3 but were used on the last of -2 frames. Can be very hard to find. Maybe the only one harder to find is the 6.5" version which was never a catalog item and produced a few at a time once in a while at the whim of somebody at S&W. Took me 20 years to find one and then I paid way more than I wanted. How badly do you want one? Are you a young man? As somebody once said, the time to buy is when you're looking at it.

win-lose

If you really want it, can afford it, and are able to find it, then buy it. Who knows when/if these will align again.

to me, the 27/28's are some of the best looking handguns ever made.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
Even with guns that were made in fairly large numbers, finding one you can afford at the time you can buy it is like winning the lottery. If you want it, grab it now.

Jim

Elerius

That all sounds unanimous. I guess I'm going to make it happen, unless people go insane and I'm looking at the $2k range during the bid. I really hope it won't come to that.

Thanks for your input, I was thinking of waiting but it seems that is an option I'd regret :)

DaleA

The 'high luster blue' of the Model 27 is one of the really, really nice things about the gun. I know the Colt Python almost always sells for a lot more than the S&W Model 27 but on pure good looks and craftsmanship I'd rate the two about equal.

Also about equal is around 1978 I had a shot (no pun intended) at purchasing both of them. My friend tried to sell me his (no kidding) new in box 27 for $300 and I said I'd think about it. Came back next day to do the deal and he was out of town. Before he came back I moved. Sigh. There was also a Python at a hardware store going out of business for about $330 that I had to think about. Sigh.

I sure wouldn't spend a house payment on your model 27 but if it's even semi reasonable and you got the money go for it.

SaxonPig

Back 12 years ago I looked for a P&R 4" M27-2. Found several around $400 and passed on all. Maybe I didn't want one that badly after all. Picked up a 4" Highway Patrolman (first year) for $190 but the plain Jane HP wasn't the same as the deluxe 27 so I bought a 4" Registered Magnum. Paid too much for it but man, is it cool. Never did own a 4" 27.

Elerius

I'm set on the 27 over the 28. I really love high polish blue finishes, Royal Blue 6" Python is also on the list. Towards the end of the collection though I'd say...

And I also really like the top strap checkering, which as far as I'm aware, is unique to the 27. So it has to be that one.

And now I'm seeing on another forum a LNIB S&W first run Shorty 40.... Ugh. Why at the same time?

CajunBass

I guess it depends on rather you want an old one or not. My dealer sells the "new" ones all the time. There is a 4" one in the case now. The blue is different and it has the lock, but I have been tempted to buy it. Just other things keep getting in the way.

Yesterday it was a 1954 Colt Official Police 38...So many guns.

I don't think I've ever seen an "old" Model 27 with a 4" barrel. I know they made them, but all I've ever seen were 3.5, and 5".

That 3.5 is the cat's pajama's. ;)

Eazyeach

I have a 4" 27-2 that is nickel. If I could find a blued 27-2 in the same condition I would jump all over it. I'm not a huge fan of nickel but the 27-2 is such a nice gun I'll have to keep it until a blued one walks into my life.

Only blued one I've seen in my neck of the woods(dayton,oh area) was an 8 3/8" barrel. Way too big. I think 4" smiths are the perfect revolver.

BigJimP

I prefer the Nickel model 27's over the blued versions ( nickel holds up to holster wear a lot better )...and yes, when you find a 4" model 27 - jump on it.

In my area - Nickel usually demands about a $100 premium...

( my model 27-2 4" Nickel ...is one of the last revolvers I'd part with ...out of about 15 S&W's I have in my collection !! ( 18's, 19's, 27's, 28's - 29's - 66's, 686's, 629's ....the model 27's are great guns ! )....and I shoot it quite a bit ( 2,500 rds a yr or so...thru that 4" model 27...)...

good luck on the auction..

highpower3006

My working theory on gun purchases is to buy what you want when you see it.

I have passed on certain guns because I thought I would just get one later. Well, later came along and I could never seem to find that same gun again. Now I don't dither around, if I see a gun I have been wanting, I buy it on the spot.

I have been looking for a 4" 586 for a few years now and up until a few days ago I had never seen one for sale at a price I was willing to pay. I went to an estate sale and lo and behold there was one at a very reasonable price. I grabbed it and never let it go until I got home.

CajunBass

Amen this. I buy almost all my guns from one large, busy dealer. I have learned not to go the the men's room if I see something I'm interested in as I walk buy. There is a good chance it will be gone before I get back.

I'm blessed to have a wife who understands this. Many a time she's asked me, "Seen one like it lately? Expect to see another one soon?"

win-lose

For me it's always a complex matrix of calculations weighing budget, utility, desire, and marital bliss. Typically takes me nearly a full minute to figure it all out and buy the gun. :D

glenncal1

Don't overlook the 4" -3 model 27. I have one that has the nicest DA trigger of any N frame I own. It may not be P&R but it is every bit a Model 27:

Elerius

Sigh..... The Model 27 in question just sold for $1,955. A bit out of my price range at the moment. Add another $60 for shipping and transfer, and $200 for WA sales tax which includes online used guns. Delightful :(

Elerius

Don't overlook the 4" -3 model 27. I have one that has the nicest DA trigger of any N frame I own. It may not be P&R but it is every bit a Model 27:

This may be something I'd consider. I don't buy lock guns but the P&R may be negotiable... depending on how big that difference in price may be. If it's $2k for a 27-2 and $800 for a 27-3 in identical condition, I may be interested. But I'd feel bad about it. P&R is a sign of quality that is now gone, and it's one thing to buy a Smith that never came with P&R, and another to cop out due to price when those models existed, albeit for 1.5 years in this case. If it's a matter of waiting 10 years for one and not the other, I may be swayed.