S&W M15 price

txray22

I'm looking for a M15 smith. The Fjestand blue book says $275 for 90%. The internet sites are all over the place up to $750. Can anyone tell me what I should pay?

v/r
Phil

glenncal1

Tell us more about the gun to get a better price estimate (condition, does it have box and docs etc.). The .38's are less loved than the .357s but they are still nice guns. For a good condition shooter I would say $350-400.

carguychris

The Fjestand blue book says $275 for 90%. The internet sites are all over the place up to $750.
Regarding Internet prices, keep in mind that the auction sites are full of what I charitably call "fishermen"- i.e. sellers who list their wares at 150%+ of the going prices in hopes of snaring a sucker. :rolleyes: If you monitor some of these auctions, you'll notice that some have been relisted literally dozens of times. It's better to use the "Advanced Search" feature to identify guns that have actually sold. This will give you a much better idea of the real-world price.

Regarding the actual value, there seems to be considerable regional variation with older K frame 'Smiths. Prices in my area suggest that Fjestad is perhaps 10%-15% low, but other forum members report being unable to touch any decent .38Spl K frame under $350 locally, including the fixed-sight models.

That said:
  • Two years ago, I won a GB auction for an ~85% "shooter-grade" 4"bbl M15-4 with original factory nickel and Pachs but no box for ~$245 + $15 S&H. It's my favorite .38. :)
  • Collectors ARE becoming more cognizant of the relative rarity of the earlier M15 variants and the "pre-Model 15" K-38 Combat Masterpiece, particularly those with the 5-screw frame and early postwar satin blue finish. These guns HAVE climbed in value, and this is not necessarily reflected in the "big picture" view of the Fjestad book. If you're looking to save money on a shooter, I recommend looking at the -3, -4, and later variants, which are almost as common as crabgrass, regardless of what anyone says. :rolleyes:
  • The 2" guns command a 20%-30% premium over the 4" guns. Other barrel lengths and the rare 4" non-tapered bull barrel on early guns command a 30%-50% premium over that. (Contrary to what you may have read, 5" and 6" M15's DO exist; it's just that few people have ever seen one.)
  • Also regardless of anyone else says, IMHO NO 4" standard-barrel model-numbered M15 is really worth over $500 unless it's truly ANIB. Hmmmph. ;)

Last edited: