S&W M14 Anybody have one?

Sir William

I am still seeking my own M&P 44. I ran across a tuned M14 in 38 Special, 6", 4 Ts and beveled chamber mouths. The action is smooth as silk in DA and breaks like glass in SA. Deep blue. Partridge blade front sight. Shop wants $450.00. I am interested in hearing from owners of M14s.

gordo b.

Uh it might not be quite as accurate as a Python, or my Colt Officers match, BUT my 14-3 generally shoot about as tight as both (1.5" with midrange Federal wadcutters at 25 yards -rested)and has a less stageyDA trigger so it doesn't take years to master it! Also the S&W is gonna keep ticking another 30 years and will be easy to tune up when it does get tired! Actually it IS getting a little worn in the tooth! I bought it for PPC use in 75 and while only using it heavily for 3 or 4 years before getting into IPSC it has been my loaner gun when I go target shooting with those who needed it. Come to think of it 2 wives and 4 sons learned to shoot centerfire with it with factory Magna grips. It now has the original nice shape early target grips-because I like it alot! I see S&W has a resonably priced restoration package for post war guns. Should only cost $175 for complete rebuild including turning barrel back and recutting forcing cone and a reblue :)
Now if this IS true my opinion of S&W goes WAAY up since I wouldn't buy any of their sleeved barrel,chemical rifled MIM robot assembled, lazer marked weirdness! :barf:

DPris

Member Emeritus
Got this 1955 pre-14 six-incher in about 95% shape, kinda like it, but I'm embarrassed to admit, Willie, I haven't fired it yet.
Came with the original grips.
You should oughta get it.
Denis

Sir William

The problem is, I am looking for a M&P 44. So far, I have two Webleys, two Enfields and this M14 staring back at me. The two Webleys are unmolested with hammers and DA/SA. I may have to not buy a 625 or 629 Mountain Gun. The other revolver that has surfaced is a Colt Anaconda in 45 Long Colt. When it rains, it pours.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Willie,
I'd go for the 14.
Brought home a six-inch 586-3 tonight, unexpected but too good to pass.
Bubbles got her Christmas Glock .357 early.
Denis

Sir William

Bubbles got a Christmas GlocK!?! I have a mental picture of a red and green Glock with gold plated parts and flashing LED lights that spell Bubbles Troublesolver. LOL I am going to think hard on the M14. The action is the older staged trigger. I like that. Wide target hammer, target trigger is smooth and wide and it is incredible to feel the action lock just before the hammer falls or just stop and recheck the sight picture before finishing the pull.

DPris

Member Emeritus
She was making noises about a little .357 Glock, so....
And I'd definitely go for that 14. You do realize they're gonna stop making 'em one of these days & you'll never see anything like it come out of Springfield again. :D
Denis

Majic

The action is the older staged trigger.
The action has never changed since the first K38 so either it's well boken in or has had an action job done to it. The target trigger alone makes it feel different vs the standard trigger.
Depending on your location that is a high price. A lot of K38s can be found for around $350 in very good condition and $250 for shooters. That is still way cheaper than a M21 unless you are talking about the newer TR model.

JoeHatley

I paid around $275 for this slightly used 14-4 about 5 years ago.

14_4r.jpg

Very accurate gun.

The $450 asking price for the one you are looking at sounds kinda high to me. You might wanna shop around a bit. At that price I'll bet it will still be there if you have to go back.

Good Luck...

Joe

The 14 is a great gun but $450 seems high to me. I have bought two 14-3s in the past year paying $100 and $165 respectively. Now, these were very good deals (and the guns are not perfect) but I think I wouldn't pay over $300 even for a really nice one. They aren't rare or hard to find.

The $100 M14

The $165 M14

Sir William

Actually M14s are rare in my region. LEOs often had S&W M13s and later M65s on their hips. The M14s, M15s, M19s and even M686s were skipped over for cheap bids. LEOs used to have to purchase their own duty weapons in this region. Oddly enough, they bought the cheapest revolvers they could. I see few target grade revolvers in my region. $450.00 isn't out of line considering that. I will check a few more sources though.

Tacoma

A nice 14 in 6" is a target shooters dream. Handsom, well ballanced, very accurate. Mine is one of my favorites of all my S&W revolver collection. Having said that , i'd have two concerns with the one your quoting. 1) This one sounds like it's had custom work. Does that indicate excessive /high volume shooting? How is the cylinder play and endshake? cyl gap? forceing cone? Folks don't usually dump custom $ into a gun then shelve it. There are exceptions however.
2) $450 sounds high. The gun MIGHT be worth that if it were and early modle,/low serial #, with box and papers and was unmodified. I'd say $350-$375 would be tops for that gun as stated. ( Paid $195 for my minty 70's vintage 14 two years back.) Those mods do nothing to the value of the gun (despite what the owner may think) but bring it level/down. Also, in my experience, 38 special revolvers have enjoyed lower prices than their 357 counterparts in recient years because most folks want the "magnum' even if they intend to shoot 38's. Furthermore, the model 14's were less common among LEOs than say model 10's ,15's, 13's,19's,65's 66's, 67's. They were designed as target guns vs carry/combat guns. Resultantly, It's easier to find a nice 14 that hasn't seen a million rounds/hours in a holster.
Of course, if you get assured on #1, you can always low ball an offer to resolve #2. :D