S&W M10-7 Range Report

Tom B

I procured the M10 in a trade with Mikey357 a couple of months ago and took it out for it's first real range visit yesterday. The S&W has a 4in pencil barrel and a reasonably tight lock up. Great trigger as most S&Ws from this era seem to have. Ammo used was GA Arms 158gr FMJ, a few Fed 125gr Nyclads (yes I did stock up on them back when!) and some 130gr FMJ (forgot the manufacturer name). Accuracy and POA/POI was very good and best with the 158gr ammo. No surprise there. Accuracy was almost (note ALMOST) as good as my beloved 1969 vintage 4in Colt OP. The Smith does handle and point better for me than its arch enemy plow-handled Colt. Reliability was 100% in both SA and DA. Mikey357 has since talked a possible trade for this pencil barreled M10 for a HB M10 he still owns. I am afraid he has waited too long as the more I handle this M10 the more I like it!

Tom2

Yup it works

IMHO the only way to get less than 100% rel. is if you have a squib round or someone abused or modified a M10. Bet you did not worry about the reliability either, like when testing a new auto loader. Stoke it with the +P 158's and keep it close to the bedstand. You can't do much better than that, or need to, unless you expect a genuine full frontal paramil.assault as compared to a wretched burgler or something usual. I would prefer the stainless fat barrel version, though.