S&W M&P AR 15? Thoughts?

I am going to look at a used Smith and Wesson M&P AR 15 tonight. Guy is willing to sell for $650 with a cheap scope on it. (two mags & sling) Said he bought it in December 2009.
He didn't know the model as he is an hour from his house right now. Are there some models to avoid? I'm hoping it is a carbine length.
I figure $650 would be a great price on any of the models? Am I wrong?

Bowdog

I have the NY legal M&P is does everything you will need in a 16 inch barrel. It did needs a break in. I had to put 200 rounds through it to brake it in. After that is was flawless. As of now up to 900 rounds all is well

mellow_c

I'm not sure if the gun your looking to buy is a good deal or not. But I've shot two of them before, and they both worked flawlessly. I like them. You could always tell him you've got $600 for it.

mc223

Thats what I paid for mine, and as long as it aint hot or shot out or otherwise busted should be fine. Enjoy.

dontcatchmany

I have a S&W M&P 15 R that fires the 5.45x39 round.

My weapon has been a pleasure. I got extra mags from C-products.

Have fired a good 1000+ rounds. The 5.45 is not the most accurate round but this gun shoots darn good at 100 yards and I hit a 18" x 18" a metal pig 9 out of 10 times at 220 yds. The gun shoots good, but some of the Bulgarian ammo is inconsistent....

Never a misfire.

I paid 850 new for it and added picatinny front hand guard and Burris 332 scope and some other stuff. I would not want to be in front of it at even 300 yds.

Anyway, I like the S&W. Determine the caliber ammo it has. If 5.56 or .223 and the weapon has not been damaged, then 600 would probably be ok. A year ago I saw folks asking over a grand for the 5.56....more than I would have paid. My AR shoots a round that is approx 13-18 cent a round shipped.

The 5.45 S&W compared to an AK-74 is more accurate.

I have no idea in the 5.56 or .223.

zombieslayer

CDNN has (or had) them for $599 with a mail-in rebate. Offer $550-600 and see what happens.
Fwiw- I bought a pair of piston M&P's and they were garbage, to put it politely. The standard DI models are a good deal, but I'd plan on a trigger change. The stock triggers on mine were over 15lbs, I'd imagine the DI's are too.

christcorp

I've had a few AR's. I just bought an M&P15-OR (Optical Ready - no sights on it), at Christmas. Retail price: $1069. Sportsman's Warehouse normal price: $949. Sportsman's Warehouse 3 day Christmas Sale $200 off: $749. S&W Military appreciation rebate $100 off: Final Price: $649.

So; if it's already got iron sights on it, and it hasn't been shot much, then $650 isn't bad. If you look around, you can find them on sale; like I did; for the $650-$750 range. (Depending on the model).

On a POSITIVE NOTE: Not that I am a paranoid person; but some people are. Buying it from a friend, means you can give them money, they give you the gun, there's no paper work done, and Big-Brother doesn't know you have it. For some people, that is very important. Of course, if you live in a communist state, where they don't allow private sales without using an FFL dealer, or some other stupid law, then this is a moot point. But here in Wyoming, and other places, we buy, trade, sell guns and such on a daily basis and no one cares.

UPDATE:

I bought it. $650. It is a Smith & Wesson M&P 15. Came with two mags & case. Cheap sling and cheap NCstar scope that has cross hairs that light up. It also has a S&W rear flip up sight. 100 rounds of Federal ammo FMJ.

Perfect condition. He only shot about 8 rounds out of it. How'd I do? (he was asking $700 but I had him down to $650 before I saw it & he had other buyers calling when I was there.

Last edited:

ethan95

I have a MP-15, and its the nj legal model. It is a great rifle, I have over 2,000 rounds through it without a failure. I highly recommend them.

volz1911

Great choice for an AR. I bought my M&P15T about 5 years ago its had litterally thousands of rounds through it. I actually put about 300 more through it today and since i bought it years ago ive only had 2 or 3 failures to fully feed and 1 quick tap on the bolt assist chambered them all...best AR i you can own IMHO.

Volucris

$650 for a S&W AR-15 LNIB is a good deal. They're very good AR15s. Only thing you may need to swap out in the future is the bolt but that's not likely.

Quentin2

Sounds like a good deal for an M&P-15. You'll have to get it out this weekend and put more than 8 rounds down the bore!

Pictures would be nice, too! :D

I'll try to get some photos.

Here are my next questions:

1. What scope?
I am leaning toward a scope with bullet drop compensator marks. I would prefer it to be 2x to (whatever) but am open to suggestions. Also, how high should my rings be? Which rings?

2. What sling?
I have a 5.11 tactical sling on my .308 which I will use for this weapon. But then I need something for my .308, and I would like something with bungee or cushion since the .308 gets heavy after a few days of hunting. (I walk about 20 miles per day) (Must be a two point sling)

3. Anything else? Do I need a fore-grip?

zombieslayer

The vertical foregrip is one add-on I really enjoy. I love them and find that they give me a steadier hold and quicker follow-ups.