S&w m&p 40, s&w 40ve, ?

Micahweeks

The 40VE is the newest incarnation of the Sigma line. It is, more or less, a Glock clone. It is a striker-fired, entry-level, Glock-style takedown, heavy DAO trigger pistol. By no means is the pistol inherently bad, by any means. The newest Sigmas are actually quite nice, especially if you are like me and grew up on revolvers. The heavy trigger is about on par with my 686.

The M&P is a completely different take-down system. In order to take down the M&P, you remove the take-down tool from the grip, reach into the top of the open pistol, push a lever down into the magwell, turn down a lever, and remove the slide. It is not as complicated as it sounds, but it is entirely different from the Glock-style take-down of the Sigma 40VE. It is also has interchangeable palm swells that can be used to adjust the grip to different shooters. I might be mistaken, but I think the bore axis is slightly lower on the M&P than the Sigma. The finish is also different unless you are talking about the Allied Forces model of the Sigma which has the black melonite finish. The trigger is a pivot safety style trigger that breaks lighter than six pounds on most of the ones I've seen. Also the M&P is available with a thumb safety on select models and with or without a magazine safety.

The Sigma has a proprietary rail similar to USPs while the M&P utilizes a standard Picatinny rail. The 40VE is available in one size while the M&P is available in full or compact and with multiple barrel lengths.

If I missed anything major, please feel free to let me know. I'm just stopping there because my carpal tunnel is acting up. To conclude, I like both pistols just fine, but I believe the M&P to have the sturdier build of the two. I think it is more likely to stand the test of time and last longer than the Sigma, but I have no problem defending myself with either.

Last edited:

ShootingNut

Micah
Forget the notion of having to use the "tool" from the M&P grip, when I field strip mine with the slide open, my small finger (nail) drops the sear lever just fine.
I love my M&P, great reliable shooting auto, and is a snap to field strip and clean.;)
Regards,
SN

m&p45acp10+1

I own a M&P 45. It can be taken down the same way as a Glock. Simply after locking the slide open and dropping the slide release pull back on the slide and ride it till it lines up and dry fire it, then just slide it off. Same as a Glock. The info that I have gotten is that the tool method was done as a safty mesure to ensure against an AD when taking the gun down.