S&W M&P 40 Compact or SA XD 40 Subcompact

wstein

I am looking to get a CCW with a little more punch to it then my Bersa Thunder. I have come down to either the S&W M&P 40 Compact or the SA XD40 Subcompact.

XD40 Sub
Pros: the dual safeties on it, my stupid brand loyalty complex :). Ease of take down and familiarity (I already own a xd40 service), great customer service.
Cons: lack of easy grip adjustments, hard to find a XD40 subcompact

M&P 40 Sub
Pros: easy to find, adjustable grips, slightly longer barrel, ease of take down
Cons: the trigger hinged safety

I am wondering what is some of your opinions on these two guns.

medic176

Good question, I have both and I can't say that i prefer one over the other. The recoil is a little less in the m&p.
I've come to accept that I'm good to go with either one.
I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

fatboy02

M&P

Try out the M&P the grip to me just feels great, the adjustable grip straps make it very comfortable. The trigger does take a little getting used to but once you get the feel of it and know where the break is they are not bad at all. Go to a range a rent one I have the full size just waiting for my tax return to pick up the 40c.

wstein

I planned on trying the M&P, I am familiar with the xd already. Just seeing if there was anything else I needed to consider. Alsom HarEngSer, how do you like the M&P C for concealed carry? Is it comfortable? Easy to conceal under light clothing?

HarEngSer

Actually I open carry with it in a serpa holster. I can take a T-shirt and pull it over the holster and it looks big cell phone hanging off my hip (thanks yuppies). The holster is actually a inch longer than the slide. I wouldn't think that CC would be very difficult except for the weight factor pulling unsupported clothing down. Hopefully I will find out in the next couple of months.