S&W M&P 22 Compact threaded barrel protector ?

GarandTd

I just recently picked up an M&P22c with a threaded barrel. There wasn't a tool included in the box for the thread protector at the end of the barrel. Was mine missing from the box or is it not included?

sgms

Don't know if one was suppose to be there or not but the S&W site makes no mention of the tool being included

Ibmikey

There is no tool provided for the removal, my buddy made a wrench for his and had to put the barrel in a vise and use a D8 Cat to finally loosen his....I tried mine and quickly decided it was best left just as it is since I do not wish to add a suppressor. Both of these pistols are a couple of years old the nut may not be on as tight now.

GarandTd

To be clear, I contacted S&W customer service to make that inquiry. They did not specify if the tool was supposed to be included, but, immediately offered to send me one free of charge. I did not ask for or expect any freebies. Just wanted to know if I was missing something. So, I have a wrench on it's way.

I don't have any immediate plans to install a suppressor, but if things ever change I'm not against obtaining one. My biggest concern was making sure that thread protector doesn't sieze up on the end of the barrel because of lack of oil or cleaning of the threads. Perhaps the heat/cool cycle of firing the pistol would counter those concerns, but I don't know.

Destructo6

The tool was included when I purchased my SW MP22 Compact. It's required to remove the adapter before removing the slide.

The 1/2-28 threaded adapter was so tight on mine that I broke the first wrench, and the second that was quickly sent out by S&W. I ended up sending the whole pistol to S&W to remove the now mangled threaded adapter. They replaced the threaded adapter, now threaded down only snugly, and replaced the broken wrench(es) without batting an eye.

Call S&W customer service, don't use the email feature.

GarandTd

I did use the email feature and it worked out fine. The model I purchased only had the thread protector, not the adapter. That may have been the difference. I don't have to remove the protector to strip the pistol. I read all the stories of broken wrenches trying to remove the overtightened thread adapter.

Ibmikey

My pistol is not equipped with an adapter just the protector, I tried removal before firing the pistol and again after it had several hundred rounds through it with no success. I had forgotten about it until this post now I have the desire for removal once again:(

rep1954

When I bought mine it came just with a thread protector and no adaptor. I have never removed the adaptor nor did a wrench come supplied to do so. I don’t think a adaptor was even offered at the time by S&W when mine was purchased. I bought mine just after the bad barrels and before the thread adaptors.

GarandTd

Just to follow up, I received the wrench today. Exactly one week after their email response to my original email inquiry. The thread protector broke loose rather easy with the wrench. Just a pinch beyond finger tight. I'm glad I didn't have to mangle anything, cheap wrench included.
Kudos to S&W for living up to the hype.

Attachments

• rps20180425_205254_593.jpg
    rps20180425_205254_593.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 10