S&W Lite weight

Gunner's mate

I've read in Gun Tests magazine that the mainspring cannot/should not be lightened on the new Smith air lites. The AirLite I'm contemplating has a horrendous trigger pull. Does any one know why the trigger spring and rebound spring can't be lightened? Thanks for the info.

ViLLain

Shouldn't be messing with the strain screw on any S&W revolver. As you loosen the screw, even slightly, reliability become an issue. Same goes for changing the internal springs. I see it all the time, "my gun won't shoot brand X of ammunition" or "every once in a while the gun fails to discharge". Nine out of ten times, the gun has been either modified or the strain screw has come loose or loosened.

Yes, the triggers in these air lites suck, but they're very reliable with all type of ammunitions. And for their intended purpose, a eight or ten pound trigger is not such a bad idea. Seen older air lites and the triggers do smooth out. I have a Scandium gun with about 200 rounds shot in it and trigger has become smoother and lighter.

Although I have had bad experience with Taurus revolvers, they do tend to have a better trigger pull in frames of this size. And since your state does not believe in you protecting yourself, the gun will function more as a range toy rather defensive weapon. I'd consider function and ease to shoot over reliability.

That makes it a tough choice between spending $540 on a Smith & Wesson that still needs about seventy to one hundred bucks worth of smithing work done to make you satisfied. Or $400 on a Taurus firearm that is satisfying right out of the box.

Gabriel

sox

I had a 342PD with horrendous trigger pull. Installed the wolff springs. I replaced both the hammer mainspring and the rebound spring. I used a 13lbs. rebound. No problem with reliability whatsoever. BUT- I also felt a pro trigger polishing job on a 317 airlite .22 done by a local smith, and that was really sweet. He had not changed any springs at that point. Best of luck.

Drakejake

Villain, have you posted any reports on your experience with the scandium? Inquiring minds want to know.

Drakejake

ViLLain

Drake, I'll give you a brief synopsis of my first experience with this gun.

BANG!......... ouch! BANG! BANG!......... ouch! BANG!......... ouch! BANG!......... ouch!

In all seriousness, I have not had a chance to go to the range put it through the test. Gun went from the store vault straight to Handgun II defensive class. Class is way too intense to determine what's hot and what's not. I lasted less than fifty rounds of .357 Magnum ammo before switching to .38 Special. Gun did all the drills successfully, including shooting from the hip. Shot a little over two hundred rounds that night. Not fun!

Gabriel

Gunner's mate

S&W AirLite

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to try the Wolf springs, then I'll try the gunsmith route. I'll let you know how it turns out.

coz

Someone said that smoothing edges and burrs and narrowing the trigger can be done.

I got a "trigger job" from the gunsmith and mine is easier to hold on target.

Bang Ow Bang Ow Bang Ow Bang Ow...ad nauseum