S&W Kit gun?????

Russ5924

Have never been able to find out just what they mean it will say S&W model so and so KIT GUN. All I can think of is you get a bunch of parts and make your own but don't think so :confused:

skt666

i think its just a name for a light weight gun you pack in an outdoor "kit", like a tackle box or back pack gun. im pretty sure thats what it means but i cant remember where i read it, it was probably here. it does not come in peices, this im sure of.

KurtC

The word "kit" is used in the British sense, meaning "gear." Not in the American sense, meaning something to be assembled.

As stated above, it was intended to be kept as an auxiliary item with your hunting or fishing gear.

Joe W

Kit Gun

The "Kit Gun" is described in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nash as: " Originally, a compact .22 J frame, 4" or shorter barrel, usually round butt, originally marketed as ideal takealong companion in a fishing or camping kit. Models 34, 51, 63 650 and 651. Recently the term has been reintroduced for light weight titanium model configurations in .38 or .357 Mag. chamberings with 3.2 " barrels such as Models 337 & 360."

johnbt

Here's the chorus from a WWI song:

Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile.
While you've a lucifer to light your fag,
Smile boys, that's the style.
What's the use of worrying,
It never was worthwhile. So:
Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag
And smile, smile, smile.

SnWnMe

The Kit Gun, as recognized by S&W geeks, is nothing more than a J frame 22. It came in 2" or 4" in bbl lengths. The blue was the M34, SS was M63, the 43 was Airweight, the 51 was 22 Mag. I dunno why the present 8 shot 22 Kit Gun is called the 317. :confused: