S&W K-38 Combat Masterpiece " Pre-Mod 15"

lamarw

I just added this one to the accumulation. They just don't make them like this anymore (1952 - 1953).

The details of workmanship and the features for the shooter are all there for a working man's gun. The non-glare rib grooving along the top strap is there to prevent glare. The grooving along the fore and aft of the grip to help is there to help gripping the gun. Then the details on the hammer and trigger for shooting and beauty. You also see the micro-adjustable rear sight and non-snag front sight that has been pinned in place.

Common for the period is the 5 screws and the pinned barrel.

I have been fortunate enough to get this one and a Model 27-2 from the widow of a deceased collector. I missed out on a Model 57 and a few others from his estate. The man had good taste in firearms.

Attachments

• Pre-Mod 1.jpg
    Pre-Mod 1.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Pre-Mod 2.jpg
    Pre-Mod 2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 125

smee78

Looks like a fine addition, there is just something about a K frame 38spl that will make you look like a professional sharp shooter.

Howdy

I picked this one up a few months ago. Looks like a twin to yours. Right down to the 'speed hammer'. It left the factory in 1953.

K-38%20Combat%20Masterpiece%2002_zpsjjvbi9gx.jpg

CajunBass

It seems everyone else is tripping over 1952 guns. I've found 51's, 53's and 54's,...and so on, but never a 52'. The hunt continues.

In the meantime, I do have a 1953, 22 Combat Masterpiece, very similar to your 38. Very nice one I might add. Congratulations.

Last edited:

briandg

I have one, don't ask me the actual year. The thing is a masterpiece. Unless I'm not seeing this right, every one of them here are far less beautiful than mine, mine is absolutely mirror smooth with rich bluing, I can seriously see my reflection in the side plates in bright sunshine. Yes, it's accurate. It came with a tyler grip, but that thing kept wallowing around in my hands, so I put on a set of standard pachmyer target grips.

CajunBass

From the end of the second world war, up until 1955 or so, Smith and Wesson continued with their flat wartime finish on most of their guns (I think the Model 27 was the exception, but I'm not an expert). This was done to speed up civilian production in the immediate post war years. By 1955 production was starting to catch up with demand and S&W was able to switch back to the more familiar bright finish. Different models made the switch at different times. I've seen some 1955's that had the flat finish, and some that had the bright finish.

lamarw

Thanks CajunBass, Irregardless of the finish, I went out back with it yesterday and put over a hundred round through it. It is a sweet shooting revolver. I carried a factory nickel finish Model 19 with a 4" barrel out back today and shot about the same number of rounds except with .357 magnum rounds. It was equally as fun and accurate.

Between yesterday and today, I fired 4 different pistols and 5 different revolvers. I did not even notice the heat until I started policing the brass from the pistols. It took a few minutes after getting back in the house to cool off.

CajunBass

I go back and forth on which I like best, the Model 15 (38 Combat Masterpiece) or the Model 19 (357 Combat Magnum). At one time or other, I had three or four of each, including their stainless siblings (Model 67 and 66).

These days, I'm down to just one of each, and which I prefer, depends on which we're talking about. Since this is about the 38 Combat Masterpiece, the Model 15 is my favorite. (The 38 Combat Masterpiece, became the Model 15 about 1957).

I've only the one, a 15-2, from 1966. It's the handgun I've had the longest, and is a great shooter, as are all of them. It's got a few battle scars but mechanically is like new. It has the target trigger, hammer, trigger stop, and diamond target stocks.

willr

I had a K-38 Masterpiece many years ago. Just goes to support the truth of the maxim: don't sell or trade anything.
willr