S&W J-frame snubbie questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Dave

All this talk about snubbies has roused my interest.

Read a recent article in Am Handgunner re the super light weight ones. He was saying that below 15oz? the .38 was not fun to shoot due to the recoil. Any truth to that?

2. What's the purpose of the DAO (internal hammer) vs. the SA/DA exposed hammer?

3. The model 638 Bodyguard has a shrouded hammer. What's the point of that?

Here in Hawaii, it's a mandatory 3-5 years if you carry concealed. So, that's out of the question. But, a little subbie might be fun at the range. On the other hand a .45 would be fun too.

Thanks,

Dave

JJR

1. I guess "fun" is subjective... they do give quite a kick.

2. The enclosed hammer prevents the hammer from getting snagged on clothing or pockets. Some may also consider it a type of "liability" safety.

3. Same as above but still retains the option of a single-action shot.

If concealed carry is absolutely, positively not going to happen with you... I'd probably opt for the .45 for fun at the range and home defense. However, snubbies do conceal just as well in non-CCW states ;). Stay safe.

Bob S

I recently bought a smith and wesson model 342, titanium .38 (hammerless). It weighs in at only 11.3 oz. unloaded. By far, this is my favorite gun I own, because I can carry it every day. BUT.... you are exactly right. It kicks like a mule and is not "fun" to shoot. The thing I like most about it is that I can carry it in an ankle holster and I almost forget it is there, it also does very well in a pocket holster. For these reasons, it has become my everyday gun.

However, if I could not use it for concealed carry, It wouldn't even come close to being my favorite gun. When I go to the range, I put about 30 - 50 rounds through my titanium .38 just to get some good defensive practice, but trust me, 30 - 50 rounds in this gun is about all you want!! It is very accurate for a snubby, but is actually painful after 50 rounds. I usually bring a colt .45 or a glock .40 to shoot for my fun guns (or a .22 for that matter). I usually put about 100 to 150 rounds through those guns.... and no pain! :)

If you want a CCW, by all means, go with a lightweight snubby, but if all you do is shoot at the range, get something that is more "fun" to shoot. Also, for a fun gun, dont go hammerless, that way you can shoot double or single action. Again, hammerless is great for everyday carry, but not as much "fun" at the range. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the .45. Hope this helps

Mike Spight

Big Dave:

Aluminum/titanium snubbies are "...are to be carried often and shot seldom (with full power loads)...". In my case I own two...an all stainless steel Mod 60 and an alloy framed 442, both are hard chromed. The 442 is NOT fun to shoot with the .38 Special +P 158gr LSWCHPs I keep in it for defense.

For every couple of cylinder fulls of those I shoot through when I practice with the snub, I probably shoot 50 rds of wadcutter or standard velocity 158gr RNL.

I haven't had the desire to get rid of the 442, spend $300-400 more plus the trade to buy a titanium snubbie that will save maybe two ounces in weight (loaded) and will be even less fun to shoot.

Mike

Big Dave

Thanks guys,

Those little snubbies just look so cool.

But, I think I should focus on the .45 for my next obsession.

Take care,

Dave

SHORTFUSE

If it is illegal to carry concealed forget about the hard kicking , no fun to shoot , short barreled inaccurate revolvers. Get a range gun or home protection gun instead.

James K

Member In Memoriam
We have made amazing progress since Mr. Newton got clunked with an apple, but not even the current Congress has repealed the laws he discovered.

To quote Isaac when he figured out the law about action and reaction, "Darn, I'll bet this means little guns kick more!"

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.