S&W J frame and +P?

Mike38

I searched this forum, and after reading for about 30 minutes, all I got was a headache. Quick question from a guy that knows little about revolvers. Is a S&W J frame .38 special snub suitable for +P ammo? I didn’t get an owners manual with it, but maybe I should get one.

Thank you in advance!

Deja vu

what model is yours? Some of them are and some are not. There are even some J-frames suitable for 357 magnums...

LordTio3

I've got a Smith and Wesson 637 in ".38 special +P". I think nearly all of them if not all modern models are rated for +P pressures. What model are you talking about specifically, or are you speaking generally?

~LT

Deja vu

my S&W J-frame 640 Can handle 357 magnums... My Fathers (I don't know what model it is) says that 38+p should not be used.

Most if not all modern Smith and Wesson 38s can take +P but with out know what yours is it is hard to say.

Mike38

Well, I’m going to show my ignorance on S&W revolvers here. I’m not sure what the model is. On the left side of the frame, with an opened cylinder, below the barrel it has the serial number, then it says M60-7. On the right side of the barrel it says .38 S&W SPL. Right side of the frame it says Lady Smith. (It was my Mom's handgun).

Hope that helps.

carguychris

OK, the answer is a bit complex, but I'll try to make it simple to understand...

Q: Is my J frame suitable for +P ammo?
  • 1999 and later, generally (but not always) +P marked, any frame material: YES. These revolvers will have a 3-letter/4-number serial number format and a long cylinder retaining ridge molded into the frame on the LH side under the recoil shield. All revolvers with "The Lock" are included.
  • Pre-1999, steel frame: YES but may cause premature wear if fed a steady diet. These revolvers can be identified by separate cylinder retaining button pressed into frame below recoil shield. Includes all guns with earlier-generation features such as flat cylinder latch, pinned barrel, and/or serial numbers consisting entirely of numbers or including the single letter "J".
  • Pre-1999, aluminum alloy frame: NO, may cause frame to stretch or crack. These revolvers are normally identified by "AIRWEIGHT" text on barrel, but some revolvers are found with unmarked parts-bin barrels, due to irregular factory assembly practices or gunsmith replacement. The most surefire identifying feature is a non-magnetic frame that appears to be a slightly different color than the steel barrel and cylinder, particularly when viewed in bright sunlight.
  • Mid-1950s aluminum frame AND cylinder: UNSAFE TO FIRE. Very rare. Sell it to a collector and buy several new ones. :)
Mandatory footnote: .38Spl+P+ ammo is generally considered unsafe to fire in all .38 Special S&W revolvers except for N frame .38/44s.

Last edited:

old bear

Mike38 you have a Model 60 seventh change which is a fairly new issue. So yours should be safe with any sane +P load. I would suggest that you use standard pressure ammo at the range then load the +p for self defense. I've owned an M-60 I purchased new in 1974. I shoot standard ammo at the range but carry +P+ ammo for self defense.

DAdams

Manufacturers have to make available operator/instructional literature available for handguns at no cost. Go to the S&W website and dig around and you will fine instruction that will cover your model and version.

8shot357

Manufacturers have to make available operator/instructional literature available for handguns at no cost. Go to the S&W website and dig around and you will fine instruction that will cover your model and version.

Manufactures have to? What does that mean? Have to?

I don't won't to be fine for getting instructions.:D

10 Beers

No offense intended but if all the people who wonder if a steady diet of full house loads will hurt their gun actually went out and shot a whole box or two of that ammo first they'd realize this is a self solving problem. The expense and wrist trauma make 38 wadcutters look pretty good. I go to the range to relax, not beat myself up.

michael t

Of course, +P is nothing more than what standard pressure ammo used to be

SaxonPig I been trying to tell people this for years I saw gun test while back of a snub and almost all the non+P were in the mid 600 range. The +P were about 100FPS hotter. No where close to the power of the 1960's when I started shooting a Model 15 .
I have a early model 49 body guard I shoot +P in it Iam looking at BB ammo just to get the 158SWCHP +P back to speed as a SD round.
About the only ammo I think not messed with is 22 and 25 . I believe even 45 acp 230 ball has been slowed down some what. I have saw reference of it at 750 to 800 range.
Lawyers and their silly lawsuits have ruined this country.