S&W is reintroducing the Model 14 in 2009

BillCA

The model 14 is a fine gun, if they haven't taken too many shortcuts like 2-piece barrels. I own a pair of Model 15s which are the "short" versions and they're some of the best wheelguns I own.

Casimer

if they haven't taken too many shortcuts like 2-piece barrels

That's what I'm wondering. If they do it right and build a quality revolver, rather than a novelty piece, I bet that they'll do well with these.

A Model 15 would be popular as well.

batmann

This takes second place in the new intro group---Jeff Quinn just said Ruger is coming out in a .44Spl Blackhawk and in the mid-frame 'Flat top' size.

Ballenxj

I had an old Smith that was called a "Target Masterpiece". This was basically a Model 14 before they even called them a model 14.
What a SWEET shooter it was, and if I were double jointed, I would continually kick myself in the derriere for selling it off all those years ago. :(
-Bruce

Colt46

Ruger. a .44 Spl Chambering?

I've heard that rumor every year about this time. So far it's all been a lot of hot air. It took until I was twelve, but I eventually stopped believing in Santa Claus too.

18DAI

If they brought back the 19, they would only screw it up with locks and "innovations".

Personally, I'd rather see it stay gone.

Lots of LNIB 19's still around, for alot less than the current asking price of the wind up revolvers. Regards 18DAI.

BillCA

Prior to discontinuing the K-frame .357 Magnums, it appears that S&W did beef up the frame when redesigning it for the 2-piece barrel system.

I have a Model 66-7 that I bought in 2004 with the dreaded lock and a 2-piece barrel system. I noticed that certain dimensions on the frame were different than the earlier K-Frame. Comparing the 66 to an earlier 19-4 shows they beefed up the topstrap and eliminated the need for the "flat cut" below the barrel by using the 2-piece system. But you can certainly feel the difference too.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by azredhawk44
lock.

Yeah, it's a 6" steel .38, so recoil ain't an issue... but it still has it.

I'll wait.

Originally posted by 18DAI
If they brought back the 19, they would only screw it up with locks and "innovations".

Why must a discussion of any new S&W product always bring forth lock bashing? It really gets tiresome after a while.

Originally posted by BillCa
The model 14 is a fine gun, if they haven't taken too many shortcuts like 2-piece barrels.

The website lists it in the classic line. I've handled a few of the N-Frame Classics (specifically the Models 21, 22, 29, and 1917) and none of them have the one-peice barrels. The only new features that I can see are the lock, frame mounted firing pins, lack of pinning and recessing, MIM, an the new style cylinder latch on the earlier 21's. I would expect the same on the M14 (which only the lock, MIM, pinned barrel, and firing pin would count as they've gone back to the old-style cylinder latch and M-14's were never recessed anyway)

glockopop

I don't think they're going to do nearly as well with K frame classics as they've done with the N frame ones. Most of the models they've come out with are redone versions of guns that are relatively rare. Model 14s are not that hard to find, I picked mine up for $340 in like new condition with a $90 pair of Herrett's stocks on it. What kind of moron would pay double for something that at best is going to be equally good, if not of lesser quality than the original?

If they're thinking about the same thing for 4" models like the Model 15 and 19, those are even more common.

BillCA

Odd as it sounds, there are people who really hate buying anything "used". If they're going to spend several hundred hard earned dollars, it's difficult to convince them that buying something "used" is as good as, or better than, buying it brand new from the factory. They're just stubborn that way.

sandbag

Locks?

Will they put the lock on it?I did buy their 22-4 because it was the only way I could get one-the original 1950 model is way too expensive and doesn't have a half lug which I prefer.I bought their 40-1 reissue with no lock.They need to just drop the Hillary hole.

Casimer

Odd as it sounds, there are people who really hate buying anything "used".

That's right. If not, there'd be no market for this new issue M14, or for many long standing models. I know people who think this way, and it's either that they tend focus on cosmetics, or feel that any used firearm is likely to fall apart soon after they've purchased it.