S&W hand ejector 5th change 32-20

eastbank

i just picked up this S&W 32-20 serial number 116157 with 5 inch barrel, i think its a hand ejector 5th change and it is in next to ex condition with just a little muzzle blueing wear. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 1894.jpg
    Picture 1894.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture 1890.jpg
    Picture 1890.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 40

rodfac

Nice find, eastbank; if you've not played around with a .32-20 before, I think you'll find it an interesting caliber...and that Smith, the ideal way to begin. You might give Ken Water's "Pet Loads" book a look-see; he had many good things to say about his Smith, and some tricks for getting it to perk with handloads....I've got what I think is a H-E 4th change...Mike, what do you think? Serial 1346xx, produced in 1938? I missed the matching gun in .32 Long for lack of funds...both were in 'as new' condition, back in '97.

It's a good piece and really hums with Lyman's #311008, sized .312" and pushed along by 4.0 to 4.4 gr of Win 231. From a good sitting rest at 25 yds, it'll group 5 shots in 1.2 to 1.5", and right to the sights as well!!!

.32-20 is a good caliber, a bit finicky to load for (the neck brass is thin on R-P and Win but better with Starline when you can find it). And damned if you don't look like Indiana Jones confronting that whirling dervish in the casbah scene when toting it in a good, period correct holster. It's a nice woods loafing combination when paired with a good Winchester M-92 rifle or carbine, and you've taken the time to match up the loads for good performance in each.

Pic below. Good shootin', I predict you'll like it. Best Regards, Rodfac

P5031391.jpg

eastbank

RODFAC, i thought the grips on my smith may have been replacements,as they have no s&w grip inserts. but the grips are numbered to the gun. but upon seeing you pistol with the same style grips i think they are factory. here,s pic,s of my 32 long hand ejector first model. eastbank.

Last edited:

rodfac

eastbank...these grips are numbered to the gun as well, in pencil as I recall, but you never know with old guns...I think they're original, and that Pachmeyer grip adapter makes them comfortable to shoot with, and doesn't distract from the vintage look too much.

Give those loads a try if you're a handloader...the old piece may surprise you. I've had nearly as good luck with some of the commercially cast offerings as well; but size makes a difference (good line that one) and mine prefers .312" bullets. If you lead up, try rolling them in Lee Liquid Alox as recommended with Lee's lube, it seems to clear up moderate velocity problems for me. Those are moderate loads I mentioned, I ought to chrono them some time and see just what I'm getting from that 6" barrel.

Rod (Did you forget to attach the pic of your .32 long?)

IIRC mine is a second change. The finish has, unfortunately, gone patina brown and flaky, which is common on these older guns. I'll have to dig it out of the safe and take some pix.

Rod, yours is definitely a fourth change, late production, probably 1938-1940, when the .32-20 was dropped as S&W geared up for war-time production.

I load mine exclusively with Trail Boss loads to keep pressures down.

rodfac

Thanks Mike...I don't push mine either, velocity wise...it's a fine old piece and deserves the respect. Rod

Jeff #111

From 1920 - 1929 (approximately) the wooden grip panels on the K frames did not have the company medallion on them. Also from approximately 1900 - 1929 the factory wrote the serial number of the revolver in pencil on the matching wood panels and scratched the serial number onto the hard black rubber grip panel. The standard was to write/scratch the serial number on the right side grip panel.

briandg

that is a wonderful pistol.

I was surprised when I just looked up 32-20 loads. It seems that it is most commonly loaded with faster powders, or medium powders with the 115s.

I expected 110 and 2400 range powders. :confused:

carguychris

Briandg, there are two tiers of .32-20 loads, standard-pressure loads for revolvers and early lever rifles, and "Rifle Only" loads for later, stronger lever and bolt rifles. The latter used slower powders. These loads may be found in older load manuals and also used to be loaded commercially, but they have fallen into disuse as higher velocity varmint cartridges such as .22-250 have become more popular.

Please note, however, that these loads are NOT safe in a S&W- stick to standard-pressure with the faster powders!