S&W fixed my 22-4

spacecoast

A few weeks ago I discovered that my newish (2005/6) nickel Model 22-4 was shooting low and to the right (approx. 6" each way at 25 yards compared to POA). I sent it in to S&W ($45 UPS 2nd day air...ouch) and received it back 9 days later by Fedex to my home. The accompanying sheet was annotated as

Customer complaint: shoots low... Replace Front Sight

Customer complaint: shoots right... Adjust barrel alignment

I had the gun out to the range this weekend and I'm happy with the results. Below is 36 shots at a 15 yard silhouette with semi-casual 2-hand DA targeting.

M22-4-15yd.jpg

It's never going to be a great target pistol with fixed sights and a 4" barrel, but I'm happy with its performance as, as the RO termed it, an "anti-personnel weapon". This gun is likely to replace my 6" 686 in the primary HD role. With 230 gr. cast ammo I will say that the shorter, lighter barrel N frame M22 stings the webbing of my hand quite a bit more than the 686. Both have Hogue rubber grips.

What's involved in adjusting the barrel alignment? Any ideas how difficult this is? Does it require barrel removal?

Jim Watson

They just put it in a barrel vise, clamp on a frame wrench, and turn the barrel in its threads enough to move the front sight over. Very commonly done on single actions for Cowboy shooting, less usual on a DA. There is only so far they can move it without upsetting alignment of the extractor rod with its latch under the barrel... unless it was wrong from the factory to begin with.

spacecoast

Thanks Jim, I guess I can see where rotating the front sight a bit would move the impact point right/left w.r.t. the sights. It wouldn't have to be much.

Webleymkv

For future reference, if you call S&W ahead of time, they'll usually send you a prepaid shipping label so that you don't get whacked for next day air shipping charges (or any charges for that matter).

spacecoast

Webley -

I did contact them by email, the CS rep who responded just said "send it in" and didn't offer to pay for it (unlike Ruger). It's not a huge price to pay for needed adjustments and they did send it back on their dime, so I don't have too much to complain about.

I do wish that the USPS would get its act together and agree to make such shipments in a medium flat rate box... with insurance they could do it for $15 or less and take a lot of business away from their competitors. Their paranoia over firearms is annoying to say the least, and one could argue that it's anti-2nd amendment. Arms that are borne by citizens are bound to be in need of repair, why not require our govt.-sanctioned and regulated postal service to carry them?

Webleymkv

I did contact them by email, the CS rep who responded just said "send it in" and didn't offer to pay for it (unlike Ruger). It's not a huge price to pay for needed adjustments and they did send it back on their dime, so I don't have too much to complain about.

When I had to send my 629 back in (broken firing pin) I did not email, but rather I called them. The rep I spoke to on the phone simply asked me if I'd prefer to have them email me a label or if I'd rather they snail mail it. Perhaps you should have gently prodded them (i.e. ask for a label).

fatmax

Congratulations on a nicely adjusted 22-4. I have a 22-4 Thunder Ranch model, and it is my favorite revolver. It is just as accurate at 25 yards as any of my other revolvers either fixed or adjustable sights. The trick is finding the ammo you want to use consistently, and then figuring out what the sight picture needs to look like for that ammo at various ranges. I load 45acp or 45autorim cases with 255gr flat nose hardcast lead bullets pushing 930fps, and the 22-4 seems to like them. The sights work better, at least on mine, with heavier bullets, like 240 or 255 gr stuff.

I'm sure with some practice and the right ammo you could get the groupings to look like a target gun. I'm very happy for you. I think the 22-4 is the nicest looking S&W revolver there is. The only way to make it better, for me, would be if they made it in 45colt. I guess it doesn't matter, though. Using the same 255gr bullet in both a 45colt and a 45acp, I can get about 30 fps more velocity out of the 45acp using about 2 grains less powder than I can in the 45colt, and the 45acp seems to burn the powder more cleanly, or thoroughly, too. My 22-4 is my daily concealed carry gun. I just wish it had no lock, and the firing pin on the hammer.

Post some pictures of the gun, if you get the chance. Have you tried 45autorim in it, yet. 45autorim seems, to me, to be the easiest cartridge to reload for some reason. I find the most accurate ammo thru my 22-4 is pure lead 230gr round nose bullets with a concave base (old winchester 45autorim used this type of bullet). The rear of the bullet is dished out enough to obturate nicely into the rifling upon entering the barrel, and it seems to make a big difference in accuracy.

Good luck, and congratulations again.

charleym3

I have a pair of 22-4 in nickel. Both of them have tight chambers. I sent back one and they replaced the cylinder. They didn't offer to pick up the shipping. The did have it back in 8 days with a cylinder that will take any of my reloads. My second one needs the same thing.
When I shipped I went to Fed-Ex. I declared it as sporting goods. Not exactly cheap, but not nearly as pricy as UPS.
At some point I'm going to change out the front sight for a fiberoptic one.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Colt routinely adjusted windage in their revolvers (including the SAA) the way Jim Watson says, but I don't think S&W does because turning the barrel would put the bottom lug out of alignment.

I believe (but could be wrong) that S&W just puts the frame and back of the barrel in blocks and whacks the front end of the barrel with a deadblow hammer.

Jim

spacecoast

but I don't think S&W does because turning the barrel would put the bottom lug out of alignment.

Good point, I should have thought of that.

Fatmax -

Here's a pic of mine after switching out the wood grips for a Hogue...

DSC01626.jpg

USG

I have a pair of 22-4 4" guns - blue and CC/B. The blue one has a slightly tighter chamber and cannot take the loads of the CC/B. No matter they both shoot great. I use one for IDPA and have installed a gold bead front blade corrected for 200 grain RNL loads. The other I load up for carryin' with 255 grain SWC loads. They are nice guns. Get some practice in and you will find that they shoot a 3" group or under at 25 yards.

IMG_20321.jpg

IMG_21753.JPG

fatmax

USG

Any chance of you posting a picture of the 22-4 with the gold bead front sight. I've read a few posts from people who have put these on the 22-4, but I'd like to see what it looks like. If you don't mind sharing which sight it is and what was involved in making the adjustments, I'd love to listen and learn.

Thanks
Fatmax

Taroman

Gold Bead

Here's my 21-4 (similar) with the JDS sight installed. I had it done hoping that it would make things easier for my ageing eyes. I find that it actually makes sight alignment more difficult. I'll probably change it to a plain patridge if I keep the gun.

21m.jpg

RickB

My 22-4 (Thunder Ranch) has been back to the factory twice, though I took care of the foot-low/6"-right problem myself, filing the front sight. S&W knew the TR guns were shooting low almost from the get-go, and made a shorter sight available, but I determined that even that sight would get me only to 6" low at 25 yards. I definitely need a patridge sight, as that "half a nickel" picks up every stray reflection. Shooting outdoors in sunlight, the gun is POA/POI, but shot indoors, where the firing line it dark and the front sight is in perfect silhouette, the gun shoots about four inches low at ten yards! Even with the hassles of having the gun repaired, I like it a lot.

spacecoast

I believe (but could be wrong) that S&W just puts the frame and back of the barrel in blocks and whacks the front end of the barrel with a deadblow hammer.

Hmm... seems like that would curve the barrel a bit.

- D

It's cool to see other fans of the 22-4. It is also my carry gun.

I've had a little trouble quickly seeing the site too but I figured I'd take the cheap way out and just add a little bright orange paint to the back half of the front blade.