S&W Dating

SgtGunner

How would one go about dating (not going out with, determining date of manufacture) for those that cant help themselves.

a 66-2 revolver?

thanks

Serial number.

The -2 will narrow it down to a range of years, may be a couple of years, or may be a couple of decades.

If you post the first 4 letters/digits of the serial number, I'll look it up this evening when I get home.

If you're interested, there's a book called "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Jim Supica and Rick Nahaus that has serial number information in it.

It just came out in the second edition, which greatly epxands the information contained in it.

Branrot,

Sorry, I don't have any information at all on Python serial numbers, or numbers for Colt of any kind.

Your best bet is to repost as an original thread.

SgtGunner

Thanks for the info.............judging by its condition I never would have guessed it was more than a few years old..............go figure

ICryoman

Can someone please give me the data of manufacture of my M629-2 Mountain gun, serial number: BDY9385 ?? Thank you,

Cryoman

ShooterJD

25-2 when made?

I see where you guys are giving out the born on date my question S&W 25-2 serial# N451XXX . Thanks for any info, ShooterJD