S&W CS45 vs Glock36

vostracker

Those who have shot the two, was there any difference in recoil between the CS45 and G36? I have been told that the CS45's recoil is a little softer. I'm trying to decide which to get. Probably will test both to be sure, but wanted some feedback first. All respones appreciated.

fastbolt

Really subjective opinion being asked for in your posting ...

Owning an early model stainless CS45, and having handled and fired a G36 belonging to one of our folks ... in my opinion, the CS45 offered me less felt recoil when it comes to pressure against the palm of my hand and muzzle whip/rise.

It might be something as simple as the wide and soft Houge grip panels originally designed for the CS45 as standard equipment, compared to the thinner, more 'square' and hard polymer frame of the G36. The G36's grip angle and 'less soft' polymer frame transmitted more of the recoil force against the palm/web of my hand.

Not what I'd consider as distressingly uncomfortable, mind you, but it made the G36 feel as though it was 'kicking harder' against my hand.

Gripping the CS45 during recoil was more a matter of controlling the softer 'kick' back into the palm of my hand. I tend to notice less muzzle rise/whip with the CS45, too ... but again, that could be the inherent quality of the softer rubber backstrap helping 'absorb' and mitigate some of the rise ... for me.

Now, if the G36's grip angle and 'square-ishness' was less pronounced, or perhaps just less noticeable (such as if my hands were a different size) ... perhaps this would change my perspective.

Whatever it may mean, I found myself having no desire to add a G36 to my collection ... and I tend to like the caliber. I own 8 pistols chambered in .45 ACP pistols.

Like I said, really subjective ...

Trying examples of both would be a good idea, and using whatever ammunition type(s) you commonly favor for the test-fire.

It might be fair to suggest that both subcompact .45 pistols mentioned would benefit from an experienced shooter using a proper grip technique, incorporating a locked wrist and firm grip ... but this is something often heard when the subject of diminutive .45 ACP platforms are being discussed.

FWIW, while I have no desire or plans to get rid of my CS45, I actually prefer my slightly larger, compact-sized 4513TSW for a lot of shooting. (CS45 ~ 3.25" barrel & 4513TSW/457S ~ 3.75" barrel)

vostracker

CS45 vs G36

Thanks Fastbolt. I new the question was subjective, but I new there would be individuals here that could give me a good perspective of the characteristics they observed. I have shot various makes and models of handguns as a LEO. I an leaning toward the S&W, but they are so much more in price than a Glock.

fastbolt

You're welcome.

Another thing to consider is your personal needs and experience regarding the trigger function, too.

The CS45 has the typical Traditional Double Action trigger (DA/SA). Some folks don't care for the TDA's transition from DA to SA trigger strokes, and then some folks prefer it ... so it really depends on which preference you have, if any ...

Personally, I lean toward TDA pistols for 'working pistols', having trained and carried them for issued pistols since '90, which is when my agency transitioned from revolvers to semiauto pistols.

While I don't particularly care for most DAO-type pistols, I do own a couple of Glocks, being a Glock armorer. (I became a Glock armorer because some of our folks do carry them as personally-owned off-duty weapons, and a few folks have chosen them for specially authorized use when working special enforcement details.)

I've only known one fellow who bought a G36 for an off-duty weapon, and he claimed he was unable to experience the level of reliability he desired, so he finally traded it off on something else. This was before I decided to become a Glock armorer, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that his claimed troubles stemmed from shooter-related issues. I did later learn that he had taken his G36 to a Glock armorer at another agency, who had told him his G36 appeared in good condition, but was in a very under-lubricated condition when examined by the other agency's armorer and required more lubrication in that armorer's opinion.

FWIW, if you browse among the other forums, including the Glock enthusiast's forum GlockTalk, you can sometimes find that the G36 has seemingly received a rather 'variable' level of reported owner satisfaction.

When I once asked someone from Glock how the G36 was presently doing, sales-wise, I was told that it had never done as well as the company had hoped for, and perhaps 'wasn't their best effort'. I was also told that a magazine design change had helped resolve some early reported issues.

As with some other reduced size .45 ACP platforms, it seems the level of shooter skill and experience may be a possible issue when it comes to reported owner satisfaction and overall 'reliability'. Not exactly uncommon when it comes to diminutive .45 pistols ...

I experienced no problems when shooting the fellow's G36, for instance, while he reported experiencing problems with it for a while. I've also experienced normal functioning while shooting a couple of Kimber 3" models belonging to a couple of our folks, while the owners themselves experienced functioning problems while shooting the same pistols, at the same time, using the same ammunition. Granted, they may not have been as 'experienced' with small-framed 1911-type pistols as they might have been, or perhaps thought they were, for that matter. 'Grip stability' and proper shooting techniques are important, especially when the size of the .45 platform shrinks.

I've seen a couple of other folks chose CS45's after having tried mine, and they reported good service and satisfaction after having purchased and used them.

The early CS45's weren't without a couple of minor 'teething problems' several years ago, but a magazine change and an adjustment of a tolerance relationship in the barrel tab/breach face quickly resolved those issues according to what I was told by the factory. My CS45 was one of them, requiring new magazines (free under warranty) and a minor adjustment involving fitting the barrel tab to the slide's breech face (too tight from the factory). Since then it's been very reliable with the various standard pressure 230gr JHP's I've tried ... including Winchester T-series RA45T and their inexpensive Personal Protection (training), Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Sabre and their inexpensive Express 230gr JHP (training), as well as various FMJ loads, just to list some I can remember using over the last several years.

The magazines may be considered hard to load by some folks, since the CS45 magazines incorporate not only the standard "P-lip" indentations of the S&W .45 magazine design, but also additional indentations intended to provide resistance to the top round being displaced forward during recoil. Loading and unloading these magazines requires a bit more pressure because of these secondary indentations. According to what I was told by S&W one time, they added these secondary indentations to the CS45 magazines when they realized it was necessary to keep the top round from moving forward during the more violent recoil of the subcompact .45 pistol.

The image below shows a magazine for a 4513TSW on the left, and a CS45 on the right (where you can see the narrow, angled secondary indentation present on the CS45 magazine, below the lips, at the bottom/rear corner of the normal 'pinched' area of the feed lips). Click on the image to enlarge it.

I've been told the CS45 is a good seller for S&W, especially with LE for off-duty use.

I can say that mine is more accurate than I expected for such a small .45 pistol.

One possible disadvantage is the fat, soft rubber Hogue grips that come standard, and the lack of other grips, either factory or aftermarket. Some folks don't seem to like the short & chunky grips, and some folks don't seem to care for the way a soft rubber grip can adhere to cover garments.

From my perspective the fat and chunky grips perform better during live-fire than they 'feel when just holding/handling the pistol, and make for a comfortable level of felt recoil (for me).

Might be worth trying out at a range sometime ... along with a G36, of course.

vostracker

Tda

Thank you for all your info Voyager! I'm like you, I prefer the TDA, having carried everything from S&W mdl19 and 686 in the 80's to Sigs in the 90's and Glocks til 2004 when I retired. I still prefer the the DA/SA operation. This probably comes from my pet. A Illinois State Police Model 39 pistol Ive had for years. I will have to say that my current home defense gun is a Glock 19 though and I carry a Kel-Tek 380 with me all the time. I just traded a Taurus 9mm revolver that was a piece of crap for a Taurus PT145Pro. Havent shot it yet because I'm out of ammo due to playing with my Thompson SMG this weekend. I have been to other forums and have read quite a bit on the Glock36. With the info you told me about and all the other info I've gathered I'll probably get a CS45. I worked on several CS9's and I like the way they feel and conceal. Take care and god bless.

fastbolt

No problem. I thought you might've been exchanging posts with someone else, maybe on another forum thread, and confused the names.;)

I also like the CS9, having owned & carried one for the last few years, myself.

I actually like the overall size and feel of the smaller CS9 a bit better than the CS45. I actually found myself carrying the CS9 off-duty more often than my 3913, which had previously been my commonly carried off-duty weapon, unless I was carrying my issued 6906 off-duty.

I also started by carrying an issued M66, and then later a M686 when they were new.;)

Steve 48

I have shot both and find the S&W to be a very underated handgun and concealed better than a Glock. Steve48