S&W cs.45

warwagon

Anyone have first hand experience with this piece? Ihave done a search, and found a couple of older threads, but nothing recent. I have an oppertunity to purchase a new one for a rreasonable price,but would like to know your oppinion on it before I do so.
Thanks in advance,
Blair

kirkcdl

I've heard the ejectors are rather flimsy,but that is just a friend of mines observation,not my own experience...

fastbolt

The same ejectors are used in the CS45 as are used in many of the other S&W pistols (such as, for example, the 4506 & 4566TSW, to pick a couple of them). They aren't exactly what I'd call 'flimsy', either ...

The only ejectors I've had to replace in the last several years are those older ones used in the early 3rd gen production, which had shorter tips and had a sharply angled cut on the bottom ... which could creat the potential for a stress riser to occur. The newer production parts not only had a curved angle replace the sharp corner, but they extended the tip, which provided for faster ejection.

Anything can break, especially if damaged or abused, though, but it's an easy & quick replacement for a gunsmith, technician or armorer. No fitting, just a bench function check for proper fit & movement and then test-fire.

If you want to read some history, and some owner's experiences, why not also try the S&W forum, under the Semiauto Pistols section ... and do a search for the CS45, as well. http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve

I've posted a response or two myself, from time to time ... and even in THR and GT, perhaps.

The CS45 is a nice subcompact 6+1 .45 ACP. I've had one for several years (although mine has been converted from Safety/Decock to Decock-Only).

Mine has had one of the previous Ashley Big Dot sights, when they only offered the tritium capsule in the front sight for the CS45-specific rear sight. At one time or another I've also installed an adjustable rear sight in another guy's blued CS45 (why, I don't know, but he asked for it), as well as a Novak Ghost Ring rear sight (before they were produced with the single tritium capsule at the bottom of the dish-shaped rear sight opening). That Novak Ghost Sight rests in my 4513TSW at the moment ...

A couple of minor things occurred during the production of the very early models, which were addressed ... involving a bit of a tight tolerance in the barrel tab/breech face of some of the early pistols, and some of the early magazines regarding the added secondary dimples on each side of the magazines below the lips, before they were done by machine. Easy factory corrections & magazine replacements for any affected early pistols, though.

The current CS45/9 have ambidextrous decockers and regular Novak-style 3-dot sights (versus the single sided safety/decocker levers and the plastic sights). The recoil guide rod plunger plunger changed, too, I believe, although I tend to like early plastic plunger, myself, if only for ease of disassembly when removing the slide stop lever ... and reinserting it.

They should come with 2 magazines for commerical sales, and 3 for L/E sales.

Great little guns. I prefer the CS9 over my CS45, however, for overall size.

As with any of the smaller framed subcompact pistols, though, I tend to replace my magazine & recoil springs a bit sooner than I do with my larger framed models.

Also, as with some of the other really small-framed .45 ACP pistols with reduced slide mass and increased slide velocities, the faster cycling and .45 ACP recoil impulse requires a good grip technique ... and any tendency or inclination to use a relaxed grip and/or unlocked, less-than-properly-firm wrist may possibly contribute to the function issue often called 'limp wristing'.

warwagon

re:CS.45 thanks

Thank you for the information! I actualy found one at a store not far from me LNIB . It seems to be one of the earlier models, as fastbolt described, being single side safety,and I belive plastic sights.Not a problem for me yet(we'll see what the range work results are).
Do you know if after market stocks are available for this weapon? Only complaint(minor) is that it feels a little chunky compared to my 645.
Again thanks for the great info!:)
Blair

fastbolt

"Chunky" is seemingly what the S&W folks were aiming at when it came to the small grips of the S&W pistols. When I spoke with one of the folks around during the preliminary R&D, he said that the rubber grips were decided upon to help reduce the increased recoil with the smaller pistols.

I know a fellow that bought a pair of early production blued CS9/CS45 pistols for $379 each (with only one magazine, though, which makes me sort of wonder if the second magazine supposedly shipped with the pistols wasn't being used to generate some extra money at the store). That was a decent sale price at the time of their introduction, at least out here in CA.

I can't remember for sure, but I may have paid about $100+ more for my single-sided, plastic-sighted, early stainless CS45. Mine required the barrel tab being dressed to resolve the occasional failure-to-close fully into battery. I measured the dimensions of my pistol's barrel tab/breech face dimension, and then checked with the factory technicians. I learned that my barrel tab/breech face tolerance was one of those which had apparently left the factory on the 'tight' end of the tolerance range. I was told that some of the early guns had been manufactured to a tighter tolerance in this area than it was later determined was best ... but it was an easy repair as an armorer. (This area was one of the few things in the S&W metal-framed pistols that sometimes required fitting as an L/E armorer, but I never came across it all that much. Mostly I just had to check for proper tolerance in fit & function.)

The magazine issue was sort of a transition revision, involving the placement of the secondary indentations intended to help prevent the top round from being displaced by the increased recoil in the little .45 pistol. They're visible at the lower/rear corners of the larger rectangular impressions called P-lips on each side of the magazines at the lips. There's a longer story involved, which I remember posting in one of the other forums somewhere in the past (like the S&W Forum), and any magazines which provided problematic feeding due to the temporary and limited early hand-placement of the secondary indentations (before it was incorporated in the laser cutting and machining of the magazine bodies) were replaced by S&W when it was brought to their attention. I was told that not all of the magazines receiving the indentations exhibited any feeding issues. Naturally, I apparently got some of them, and S&W promptly replaced them.

Ever since the barrel tab adjustment was done, and I used the newer magazines, my little CS45 has been a fine functioning pistol. I'v shot it enough to justify replacing the recoil & magazine springs a few times, and I finally wore off the raised tabs on the tops of the plastic followers (intended to help increase tension on the last round when the magazine spring was at it's least tension, during the recoil of the next-to-the-last round being fired), requiring replacements. It's a shooter.

Just bulkier than the handy little CS9.

Unless I came across an early one for a "significant" savings, I'd buy one of the newer ones if I were going to buy a second one. The ambidextrous levers and steel sights are worth some extra money, as is the Lifetime Warranty offered to original owners (although S&W has often offered to repair problems to the occasional used pistol for little or no charge). The Lifetime Warranty's free shipping both ways isn't something to dismiss out of hand, either, even if it's not used, or only used once ... in my humble opinion, anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

fastbolt

Damn. My browser seemingly went into stasis ;), and then I managed to somehow post my response twice ... so I deleted the second one and inserted this babble ...

warwagon

S&w Cs.45

fastbolt,
Thanks again for the info.I inspected the weapon pretty thuroughly before the purchase, aqnd was satisfied that it had not been shot,(OR carried for that matter) verv much. picked it up for $400.00, which is about $150.00 below new here, If you can find one. No place other than this shop had one, and they all charge a fee, and deposit to order.
As I said the range will tell, and when I get back I'll let you know how it went!
Thanks again,
Blair

warwagon

S&w Cs.45

fastbolt,
Thanks again for the info.I inspected the weapon pretty thuroughly before the purchase, aqnd was satisfied that it had not been shot,(OR carried for that matter) verv much. picked it up for $400.00, which is about $150.00 below new here, If you can find one. No place other than this shop had one, and they all charge a fee, and deposit to order.
As I said the range will tell, and when I get back I'll let you know how it went!
Thanks again,
Blair

sailor2000

Fastbolt said "although mine has been converted from Safety/Decock to Decock-Only".... How is that done???? I would love to convert my CS45 to a decocker like my SIG P220!!!!

fastbolt

S&W makes a spring-loaded, decock-only assembly that replaces the manual safety/decock assembly.

The same ambi lever is used on the right side of the spring-loaded assembly (if you have a later production CS45 that has an ambi safety/decocker, otherwise it has to be added).

The slide has to be machined to accept the new assembly, though. I had mine done by the Performance Center.

Last edited: