S&W company for sale

tombread

AP announced that S&W is up for sale by its British owners, with an expected selling price of $160 million. I personally don't have that muuch liquidity right now, but if several of us pool our money we could own our own gun factory. Send your checks to me asap.

It would be interesting to create a non profit foundation for the preservation of firearms, buy up as many small arms manufactures as possible. Corner the gun market and hold the government hostage every time they try to pass gun legislation. Tell them that their orders for those military arms is on backorder. Just a thought.

Robert

This is just in this a.m.:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Handgun maker Smith & Wesson says it not for sale

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Jan 3 (Reuters) - U.S. handgun maker Smith & Wesson on Monday denied a British newspaper report that it is being put up for sale by its parent company, the British conglomerate Tomkins Plc.

``I am told that the people at Tomkins were very surprised at the story because we are not for sale,'' Ken Jorgensen, a spokesman for Smith & Wesson, told Reuters.

The Financial Mail on Sunday newspaper reported that Tomkins had decided
to sell Springfield, Mass.-based Smith & Wesson, one of the oldest and best-known small arms makers in the world, and that a sale might realize more than $160 million.

Tomkins, whose other businesses include a car parts manufacturer and a bread maker, had no comment on the report.

Jorgensen said Tomkins may eventually decide to sell the gun maker but that no talks are in the works. ``Everything is for sale at a price, so to say that we would never, ever be sold would certainly not be a very smart statement,'' he said. ``But it is not something that is in the works.''

He added, ``What may have happened (with the newspaper report) is that Tomkins has been refocusing the company in a couple of specific areas -- building materials and automotive industry. And I kind of wonder if
someone didn't put two and two together and get six, thinking that Smith & Wesson isn't either of those, and therefore they must be for sale.''[/quote]

B

Bob Locke

150,000 people at $1,000 each would raise $150 million.

Anyone else out there interested in becoming a shareholder?

Even better: we ought to come together and buy Colt or H&K, then do the aforementioned "withholding" on the government until the lawless lawsuits come to a halt.

Brett Bellmore

Ok, I suggested this on another thread, and I'm really serious now: Any financial types out there to comment on this idea?:

I'd like to see a "socially conscious" mutual fund formed, for the purpose of buying up any firearms manufacturers which become available, and seeing to it that they continue to sell to the public, and otherwise stand up to the gun control movement. This fund would be marketed in gun magazines, to gun owners, explicitly as a means of preventing what happened at Colt from happening elsewhere.

Is this a workable idea? I know they've got similar funds for enviromental wackos and the like, so I can't personally see any obstacle to a gun related fund. Certainly I'D direct some of my retirement funds into it; Retirement's going to be a real bummer if I can't spend it blowing things away!

Anyway, I'm going to start this as a new topic in the political/legal forum.

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

Bob Locke

Tony,

Any way you slice the pie, it's a good move in my opinion.

There will ALWAYS be a demand in the marketplace for high-quality firearms, especially the outstanding revolvers that Smith & Wesson turn out.

I believe that there are enough people with enough means out there that we could pull off exactly what Brett has suggested. Not just with S&W, but with ANY firearms company that come available. The only possible problem, in my mind, would be in convincing some people that their return on their investment dollars might not be what they could get in the stock market, but that they would be aiding an even greater cause: the cause of freedom.

This CAN be done.