S & W BG 38 Bodyguard - owner's opinions wanted

bedbugbilly

I'm considering the possibility of getting a S & W 38 Bodyguard for CC. I'd like to hear from some of you that have this particular model what you think of them. In regards to that, I also have a couple of questions on them.

1. They are 5 shot. If you normally carry one for CC, are you carrying with all five chambers loaded or with the pistol on an empty chamber? I am thinking that since they do not have a safety, they would still be safe to carry with all five loaded just as you would carry the S & W 380 semi-auto Bodyguard with one in the chamber. Being "hammerless" so to speak, there shouldn't be a problem of having a hammer spur getting caught and it seems as though if the pistol is holstered, being DA, it would take a lot to snag the trigger thus causing an accidental discharge. Your thoughts?

2. The standard BG 38 has rubber grips. I've heard pros and cons on carrying pistols with rubber grips for CC carry - primarily because a rubber grip can get hung up on clothing where as a wood grip will slide on clothing. For those that carry the BG 38 as CC, do you have a problem with you shirt, etc. getting hung up on the rubber grips as you move around?

3. If you are carrying this model for CC, are you carrying extra speed loaders and if so, how many? It seems like for 99.9% of SD situations you might possibly encounter, you would only have a chance to get 2, possibly 3 quick rounds off since most attacks occur at close range. Am I in error in thinking this way?

I know that there are a lot of other makes/brands/models out there but I am primarily interested in hearing from those that have the S & W BG 38 - what you think of them, accuracy, ruggedness, etc.

Many thanks!

BBroadside

I doubt that anyone carries with the hammer on an empty chamber. That practice seems to be associated with 19th Century weapons where the hammer rested on the firing pin which was resting on the primer, or something similarly alarming. A blow to the back of the hammer, or a drop where the weapon landed on its muzzle, could cause an accidental discharge.

Modern internal safeties ended that problem over a hundred years ago, I think. These are not to be confused with external safety catches, which almost all revolvers lack because of the nice long DA triggers which you've noted. A modern fighting revolver has a bunch of safety features the user never sees - one reason they are so popular.

If the pistol is properly holstered, there is no reason to worry about the trigger getting snagged. People who carry in their pockets with no holster might have to worry - I put lots of random stuff in my pockets so I would never carry loaded in a pocket without a holster. I could certainly remember not to putting anything else in with the revolver, but w/o a holster the thing is liable to move around, end up pointing at your brain, etc., so when you go to pull it out the first thing you touch is the trigger, and then you have to figure out how to explain to everyone why your brain is gone, etc.

I have ordered a Mica holster for in the pocket carry. That is designed to keep the weapon pointed in the right direction, and to the weapon getting hung up. I don't know anybody who has persistent problems with rubber grips getting hung up. Hammers are more of a concern and you're right, with the concealed-hammer models or the old veiled-but-single-action-optional Bodyguard hammers, this problem is solved.

Most CCW wise men advise reloads. Speedloaders do not always REALLY work with little 5-shooters; I got one for my beloved 642 Centennial but it doesn't speed things up since it always kind of gets stuck. Speed strips are a better option for that weapon although I think there are some pricey speedloaders that would work.

In any case, I'm not going to carry concealed without taking the class and getting the license. As far as I know, carrying concealed, unlicensed, would be legal as long as I'm on my own property... but I'm not even going to bother looking it up since I'm just too untrained to trust myself.

I want a professional to look at my weapon, holster, stance, habits, the whole nine yards before I start. If anything I do causes the instructor to point and babble in terror while his hair turns white, I will change my habits.

Last edited:

Qtiphky

Love It

My wife has it and carries it in her special purse. While she doesn't follow the primary rules of not overstuffing her purse so she can draw quickly if necessary, it doesn't get hung up on anything. She doesn't carry her speedloader as far as I know, but I know that I did buy one for her. For her, it is strictly last resort and most likely will never get drawn, but if it does whoever is at the other end best move on because she is a crack shot with it.

She now has a Taurus Model 66 in 357 that she carries in the woods around camp, but her EVD gun is the Bodyguard.

I have carried it a few times in my front pocket when running to the store or something without a holster. I had no problems drawing it quickly on practice runs but I also never put anything else in the same pocket.

I carry a Walther PPK/s on my belt everyday but have no problem with the Bodyguard. I also do not carry a reload for my PPK as I figure if I need more than 7 I'm in too much trouble and shouldn't have been there. I live in a pretty safe area and when I travel to other areas, I switch guns to carry more ammo, usually a Sig 229 or now my Beretta.

WESHOOT2

same wife, mostly

Wife has M38 since 1991.
Loaded (good ammo ;)).
Wears Pachmayr Grippers; worth the added size and tackiness for the increased controllability.
Fanny pack or special purse-holster.

Has a 4" GP100 for woods-walks.

bedbugbilly

Thanks fellas - greatly appreciated.

In regards to my comment on carrying with an empty cylinder - my background is shooting BP SA revolvers for 50 years. I was always taught to carry with the hammer on an empty cylinder for safety - thus it has always been a habit. I realize with the "modern" wheel guns, it isn't necessary with cross bar safeties, etc. but I was curious if anyone carried with an empty chamber of if they felt 100% secure with all chambers loaded in regards to an accidental discharge.

I winter in AZ and am in MI for the summer. I have an AZ CCW license and only carry once in a while, depending on where we are headed or are going to be - i.e. city, boondocks, etc. I have a number of handguns and have a Ruger SR9 and a Bersa 380 CC model but due to my long experiences of shooting wheel guns, primarily SA - I just feel better carrying a revolver CC. I'm getting more comfortable in shooting DA practicing with a Colt Army Special and a S & W M & P that I have - both 6 inch barrels and not made for CC.

In range shooting, I have no problem hitting the "central mass" in DA so that is why I'm looking at the S & W 38 Bodyguard revolver. It appears to be a good design that wouldn't "hang up" and safety wise, with no exposed hammer, if it was holstered, it would be a freak thing to have an accidental discharge in regards to the trigger being snagged, etc.

I've never shot a "snubbie" style revolver but as I said, I do have a Bersa 380 CC model that has similar barrel length and I don't have any problems with that pistol in hitting central mass at anywhere from close up to 15 yards. My concern with carrying that pistol for CC is that while I love it, it is a DA/SA pistol. The first shot is DA and it has a heavier trigger pull for that. Once the first round is fired, the tribgger moves further back towards the grip and the trigger pull becomes much lighter. In range shooting, I have pulled a second round off several times before I wanted to as my mind wasn't adjusted to the change from the DA first round and then the change to the SA mode.

I know that a lot of fellas want to "tune" their firearms to a lighter trigger pull, etc. but for CC, I feel that for myself, a DA only is probably the best way to go along with a stiffer trigger pull - my reasoning is that if ever faced with a SD situation, the adrenalin will be pumping and hopefully my concentration would be on focusing on pointing at central mass - the trigger pull not being an issue at that time and each trigger pull would be consistent. To be honest, with my Bersa, I'm afraid that in certain situations, an additional round could be fired due to the excitement and after the first DA shot is fired and the trigger pull becomes much more sensitive, an unintended round could be fired, possibly finding a target that is unintended such as an innocent bystander.

While there are lots of DA semi-autos out there, being more comfortable with a revolver is why I am leaning in that direction at this time. I know this is the revolver section so I apologize for mentioning the semi-autos - just wanted to clear up why I am looking at revolvers and the S & W Bodyguard in particular.

Thanks agai for your input - it's greatly appreciated!

Technosavant

I just started carrying mine this weekend.

The first one I purchased shot over a foot to the left at 7 yards. Yeah, not good. S&W sent a call tag, I sent it in, they replaced the gun (apparently this has been an issue with the BG38; something about improperly installed barrels messing up the barrel/frame interface).

I finally got the replacement one out to the range on Friday (it took maybe a week and a half to get the new one from S&W). It shot right to POA, and interestingly, the 130gr Winchester PDX1 I have been carrying doesn't seem to shoot as low out of the BG38 as it does out of my 642.

Owning both a 642 and a BG38, I think I can give a good comparison. The 642 feels more solid and generally higher quality. No surprise, it costs more. It is also capable of more accuracy; it seems that when I manage to work the trigger well, the 642 shoots nice and small groups. The BG38 doesn't seem to have that same level of accuracy (say, instead of a two inch group it may be four... still, good enough for what these are for). It feels cheaper, mostly because it was built to a lower price point with an extra feature (the laser). The BG38's trigger is actually better and lighter. You can also get a higher grip on the gun, making recoil easier to manage. IMO, the BG38 is an easier gun to shoot well, even if its accuracy capability is not quite on par with the 642 (it just doesn't seem to flip as much with the +P loads). The cylinder release is no harder to hit than the traditional side latch; the higher grip helps with that.

As for your questions...
1) No, I don't carry on an empty chamber. With modern DA revolvers, it's just not possible for the firing pin to reach the primer (assuming it's in good working order) unless you pull the trigger fully to the rear. If somebody wants do that and doesn't want to shoot off a round, well, guns might not be for that person. :D

2) The rubber grips, while tacky enough to get a good grip, don't seem to grab clothing. I usually pocket carry mine in a Mika holster, if I want to belt carry I have a 2" K frame that shoots easier, has one more round, and carries just as well in that location. It also wears rubber grips (Hogue Bantam).

3) I carry one speed strip in a Simply Rugged speed strip carriers. I'd prefer to have one or two speed loaders, but I haven't yet found a speed loader carrier that I like. Generally, I think like you- this isn't a gun for a protracted gunfight, it's a gun to get you out of a bad situation. Having to use a firearm for self defense is extremely rare, having to shoot it yet more so, having to engage more than one or two assailants is an extreme outlier of a statistic. I don't worry about it.

So, what do I think about the BG38? It's in my pocket right now. :)

bedbugbilly

Thanks Technosavant - that was the type of information I was looking for . . .

I don't think that a person could ever find the "perfect" CCW weapon but I think you just have to try and find one that meets as many of your individual requirements/desires as you can. Your honest and common sense appraisal of the S & W 38 BG has really helped - greatly appreciate it!

ScotchMan

I know you specifically asked about the Bodyguard, but I would seriously look at a Ruger LCR before making a decision. They are very similar in design and intended functionality, but I have read almost unanimous praise for the LCR over the Smith.

I haven't shot either, this is just based on research I've done for myself.

bedbugbilly

Thanks. I am also considering the Ruger LCR. I guess I've seen more on it than I have on the S & W 38 BG and that was why I was asking bout the BG in addition to the questions I had about carrying with each chamber full, etc. I watched a couple of videos on the LCR and it looked like a decent weapon. I have a number of Rugers both vintage and new and I like them a lot. In comparing the two and looking at the mfgs. websites, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the MSR price when you compare them.

I saw a couple of blurbs on some sites about the LCR having some problems with flame cutting . . . I'm of the opinion that those few revolvers were exceptions to the rule and that Ruger has probably ironed that problem out. As one gentleman stated on this thread, his S & W had some issues and he had to send it back. . . and they took care of his problem.

I'm kind of a "plain" type of person . . . I don't like all the bells and whistles . . . I want something that will be reliable and that is going to "hold up". To be honest . . . I don't care a bit about the laser sights . . . if others like 'em, that's fine. My intended use is to CC and have something that I am confident in if I ever need it. I doubt very much if I had to draw my weapon in SD that i am going to be fumbling around trying to find the pushbutton for a laser sight. Maybe it's a sign of age? :D Trust me . . . it has taken me a while to "wrap my mind around" pistols made out of plastic . . . but, on the other hand, advances in technology are not a bad thing either.

I am also not ruling out a more "vintage" make/model - either S & W or Colt. I had a chance at a Colt 38 spl. Detective a while back and I'm still kicking myself over passing that one up as it would probably have been fine for what I am looking for. Unfortunately, where I am, there are very few gun shops that carry good, used handguns . . . the used ones I've seen in some of the gunshops I've stopped at are way overpriced and I sometimes think that they are using some of the inflated prices on GB to set theirs . . but, that is their option.

In comparing used vintage to new though, I am also considering the warranty that a new one would have versus a used handgun. I hope to get to a gunshop this next week so that I can compare the S & W 38 BG with the Ruger LCR - lay them side by side and handle them to see which one feels better, etc.

Thanks very much for your suggestion on the LCR - maybe someone who has shot the BG and the LCR will give a comparison of the two and what they thought of them. Thanks!

Billy Shears

Hmm, been looking at the Bodyguards for a while now, but I keep asking myself...When is Smith & Wesson coming out with a 6-shot Bodyguard in .32 H&R or .327 Fed. Mag.?

Now that would be a fun little back up gun.

Viper225

I have an Airweight Bodyguard M638. I have been carrying it the last 2 years. No issues at all. It has fired at every trigger pull. No modifications to make the trigger any better. The factory trigger is not all that bad.

I shoot mine in our Clubs BUG Match. We shoot Outlaw IDPA. IDPA Targets, and Scoring. Skip over the huge rule book. Bring what you have, and have a good time. We seldom have any targets over 15 yards. All Stages are 6 + 6. Either a single reload, or repeat the stage. In BUG we shoot the same course of fire, only 5 + 5 with no deduct for the 2 shots not fired by full size guns. The 2" J Frame works fine, and is way more accurate than I would have thought.

I have owned several 49's and 649's over the years. I have ended up trading them all off due to them being to heavy for pocket carry.

I carry the 638 2 ways. I have a Lobo Model 1 Pancake that I belt carry it in. This is a very well made holster, and a great way to carry the Bodyguard. I have the optional inside hammer shield added Plus it has been Boned. I also carry it in an inside jacket and vest pockets in a Nemisis Pocket Holster.

Spare ammo: In the Summer I mostly carry a spare Speed Strip in my left front pants pocket. I have never lost any rounds out of one.
Winter Carry: I have a Lined Wrangler Jacket that I have had inside pockets added to. One holds my 638 in the Nemisis on the Left side. On the Right side I have pockets for 2 speed strip, and a larger pocket under the speed strips that used to carry a set of handcuffs. Not bad for a note book, or Cel Phone now that I am retired.
In jacket weather I may have a couple Safariland Comp I speed loaders in a jacket pocket also.

As for only shooting a couple rounds in a defensive situation. You have no idea what you are going to do till it is all over most of the time. With the training I have had I would probably empty a 5 shot revolver in a close encounter, then worry about a reload. (Shoot till the threat is neutralized. You can empty a 38 Special J Frame in about 2 seconds) If in a stand off situation (like being a bystander during a store robbery) you might have some time to figure out what you are going to do or not do before things hit the fan. My advice is to have extra ammo, and practice reloading using Speedloaders or Speed Strips. Whichever you carry.

Other Guns: I have no problem with a Ruger LCR. In a S&W a 642 is another good choice. My brother belt carrys all the time in a Lobo Enhanced Pancake. He carrys a 637, and likes it just fine. The 642, 637, and 638 also come in a 2.5" barrel model. This is not a bad choice either.

Grips: I have Crimsom Trace Laser Grips on mine at the moment, with the Laser turned off. I think a good set of wood grips would be a very good choice for the reason you mentioned. I keep track of my shirt to make sure it is down, and have never had a problem with rubber on a J frame. Mine will probably have wood on it one of these days however.

Front Sight: I have the upper half of my front sight painted with Green Sight Bright sight paint. You can see it much better than the factory SS Color.

I have 4 guns I ccw most of the time in this order:
638 in a Lobo Model 1 and Nemisis Pocket Holster
64 HB 4" in a Bianchi #8 soon to be replaced with another Lobo Model 1
625 3" in a Lobo Model 1 Pancake w/Inside Hammer Shield, & Boned
1911 Full Size in an Inside waist band holster.

If you can afford to, stay with a Smith & Wesson or an LCR. My 2 cents

Bob

mrvco

I wasn't too impressed with the BG, there just seemed to be a lot of non-metal parts on it that made it feel a bit chintzy to me (This is just a personal preference thing since I'm sure its construction is more than sufficient as a SD pocket pistol). I ended up with the 438 instead. It feels better in my hand, I like having the SA option, the trigger feels more like my 627 and I can always add laser grips if I decide I need/want them.