S&W ASP: New old gun with a range report

Murdock

There I was, minding my own business, when this gun fell into my lap. I try to cruise a local gun shop once a week, knowing that it's the early bird, etc. Anyway, stuffed into a corner in a lower shelf of the glass case below the counter, was this funky looking pistol, a chopped S&W 439.

"Could it be?" I asked myself. A James Bond special? A S&W 9mm ASP conversion? Sho nuff! I'd never even held one in my hand before, and I'm getting old!

The price was ridiculously low, because nobody in the gun shop knew what the gun was. They weren't asking much more than for the beat up Smith 3913 sitting on the shelf next to it. The gun shop had taken it in as part of an estate sale, and had listed it only as a "customized S&W."

Until that moment, I'd never really wanted one. I quietly put it down after handling it, and went home to do some quick research. I called a couple of gun bubbbas I know, trying not to sound too excited. When I told them the asking price, they said to go back right away, not to even negotiate on the price, and buy it before the gun shop learned learned what it was they really had and put it up on the internet. (One guy even wanted to know which gun shop it was in...) So of course I went back and -- I am almost too embarrassed to say -- beat them down another $150.

Yup, I had to shoot the thing, and took it into my backyard range. The "Guttersnipe" sight is interesting. This is not a bullseye match gun, but I did find the sight very quick on an IPSC silhouette at 4-7 yards. I shot it side-by-side with my HK PSP for comparison, and found it more comfortable than the German gun.

The ASP has had its day, I suppose, but the rounded contours of the gun are quite comfortable in the hand. I had to remind myself to actually use the hooked trigger guard "pocket", as it's called, during double taps, as I've gotten away from this over the years. Waddaya know, it actually works to control recoil!

The gun is a hoot, and all of the spook atmosphere that goes with it just adds to the fun. My original idea was to grab the thing and then use it as trade goods for something I wanted even more, (and wasn't it fun making up that list) but it has become so sticky from handling it that I don't think I can let it go. I'm shocked to discover that I have been buying accessories for the darn thing, and have even thought about carrying it! (Don't tell my 1911)!

18DAI

Congrats! Very nice score.

Being a lowly civil servant, I've had to settle for the 3913. IMHO, the descendant of the ASP. Great concept, and great execution, of a useable, user friendly, CCW single stack 9mm. Regards 18DAI.

Murdock

Photo

Tried to post a pic but got the message that it was too big. Will try to figure out how to dumb it down and post it.

Murdock

Theodore & Smith; Range report addendum

I've had to settle for the 3913. IMHO, the descendant of the ASP

From what I can tell, the 3913 is a pretty good weapon, slim and trim.

There's a great tale about Paris Theodore going to S&W with the ASP concept, and being given a cool reception. Then, S&W started using his ideas in production guns like the 3913/14. With Theodore's passing in November of last year, I think collector interest in the ASP has risen. Controversial guy.

Range report addendum: The 3913/14 magazines are a pretty good fit for the ASP, if somebody needs spares. Incidentally, I neglected to mention in my first post that I had one ASP magazine over ride the magazine latch when I energetically inserted it to reload with the slide locked back. The magazine was too deep in the pistol's magazine well: the slide would not go into battery, the loaded magazine would not eject, and there was no "toe" on the magazine floor plate to facilitate extracting the magazine. Pinching and pulling that teeny magazine extension didn't work, so I used my thumb to press the magazine out from above with some force (while holding the slide open with my other hand, thank you, to avoid "M1 thumb" ;)) Because the ASP magazines have no toes on their floorplates, there is no positive stop when the magazine is inserted with force. Now, when the gun has been run dry, I gently insert magazines. With the slide in battery, and a round chambered already, I still give it a good rap on insertion, to overcome the magazine spring, which feels quite strong.

I'm going to explore the "Guttersnipe" sight a bit more in an attempt to wring out it's potential at close quarters, and I'm real curious about using it at 25-50 meters. It is difficult for me to use a handgun without thinking "front sight, front sight, front sight" after so many years of looking for one hanging out there! With the target well-lit and the sight in shadow the gutter thing wouldn't seem viable. Without some direct or indirect light, the little yellow triangles in the gutter are not visible, and one would be dependent upon deep prior practice and muscle memory to get a good index. In contrast, a conventional front post would probably be usable under a wider variety of lighting conditions. We'll see. After all, James Bond can do it, so why can't I?

Other than the Berretta I used on active duty, and two Walthers I've owned, I've not bothered much with DA autos. I have shot a lot of DA revolver, though, and with the smooth operation of the ASP's lock work I found the DA/SA transition thing to be a non-issue.

jrothWA

The old ..

DEVEL Corp., ASP, the dream carry conversion of the M39-2.

What was the price??

Still have the cross pin to hold back the second round when chambering the top?

Murdock

Photos here

Let's see if I got it right this time...

Looks kinda small, but it's there.

Attachments

• ASP with knife.jpg
    ASP with knife.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 220

northshooter

Being north of the border, a gun like this would be one in a million, but I did manage to meet a gentleman who has one and he allowed me to shoot it. I have to say, it is the most unique pistol I have ever shot, even more so then the 2 Devels he has, a Smith and a Commander. He also has 2 Bren Tens, but man that ASP is something else. Great buy Murdock, congrats from the Great White North. My wife and I are relocating to New Brunswick, I may have to look you up when we coem to visit her best friend in Maine.....!

ninnoichi

Congratulations Murdock! I am a fan of the ASP (I own two of them and will happily get more if the opportunity and my cash flow come together again at the same time) so I am very happy for you. I agree, they are a joy to shoot. I actually have carried both of them (though not at the same time). If you are looking for scabbards, I would recommend Ken Null's pieces (one of the few leatherwork guys who actually makes holsters and magazine carriers specifically for the ASP). I am given to understand that the inverted shoulder holster that he makes was originally designed by Theodore Paris, inventor of the ASP.

As a tangent, does anyone know where I might be able to find Quell system targets? After reading some of the patent applications of the late Theodore Paris (including the one for the transparent grip panels and the one for the Guttersnipe sight) I'm quite intrigued and would like to try this as a training aid.

oramges

Howdy Murdock

Saw you on another forum, HandGunForum.net talking about your ASP. You mentioned you might not be tooooo attached to it. Love the photos, magnificent capture. Drop me a line if you want to make some money off of it. Cheers for sharing, M

-W

jrothWA

According to my readings..

the ASP was to have a tempered pin inserted into the frame that prevented the
second cartridges in the mag, from being carried forward and dragging its nose against the inside section of the mag well.

For some of the follow-on generations of the 39 family, S&W actually, modified the magazine with a dual stamping (both sides of mag) that caught the case groove. dropped it since the 3913.

HEARD that someone was using the 3913m as the basis for the re-incarnation of the ASP. Have found anything to back this up. Anayone heard otherwise???

Sevens

They weren't asking much more than for the beat up Smith 3913 sitting on the shelf next to it.
Now I know the ASP is collectible for obvious reasons... and I'm a huge, huge fan of S&W semi-autos, especially the 3rd Gens. But if I'm doing the math properly here ($665 +$150 orig price = $815) and you are saying it was only a bit more than a beat up 3913 then either we have a VERY different view of the market or the prices in your area of the country are quite a bit different than here.

I'd expect a beat up 3913 to go for not a penny over $400. A nice one, perhaps. A nice operating but worn finish one, for $400, maybe. A beat up one for $350 or thereabouts.

$815! That's funny money for a used 3rd Gen S&W in any caliber other than something rare, like one of the short-print 10xx's.