S&W and discontinued models

Russ5924

Is it me or is S&W discontinuing making a lot of different models seems like at least once a month they quit making some model or another. :confused: What is going on the way they are going they won't be in business.They already stop making my favorite the 66 :eek:

Bullrock

Yeah, it does seem as though they are streamlining. I have the Model 629MG and I also have a Model 29-2. The 29-2 is superior in action, finish, and it doesn't have those cheap $25 rubber grips SW is putting on their new models.

I'm trying to by a few used M66's. In a couple of years, if I live long enough, they may be worth some money. I saw a mint Model 19-2 today for $285 on Guns America. The damn 'buy it now' server was down and by the time I called, someone had snuck in there ahead of me. I'm second consideration, so I hope the sales falls through. :D

Webleymkv

S&W has discontinued all K-Frame Magnums supposedly because they finally realized that they don't hold up to continuous use of hot .357's. This sounds silly to me because the ones most likely to wear one out are cops and most cops use autos now. One would think you'd hear less about K-Frames breaking since mainly civillian shooters use them now.

Majic

The L-frame simply outsells the K-frame magnums by a very wide margin. So S&W simply removed the one feature of the L-frame that many didn't like (the full lug) and dropped the K-frame magnum. Probably next is to make a 6 shot version as many don't care for a 7 shooter.
Business dictates that you stop making what doesn't sell for a profit. What surprises me is that they still make the Model 10.

Jeff #111

I toured the S&W factory in July of 99. I asked our guide about the Model 10. He told me that the Model 10 is (at least as of 1999) one of their most consistent sellers, even in this age of semi-autos. The 38 special wheelgun is a very user friendly device. With the growth of CCW's there are more non-shooters now carrying, or at least owning a handgun. The Model 10 is perfect for these folks. Actually I'm also rather partial to the Model 10. Hopefully Smith will continue to make it for many years to come.

ewayte

As long as there are armed private security guards, there will be a Model 10. In Florida, they are restricted to carrying a wheelgun in .38 Special.

Does my heart good to see the armored car couriers with that big iron on their hip...

Jeff #111

RWK
However, Webleymkv's post discussed only .357 magnum K Frames, and the M10 (as you’re aware) has always been exclusively .38 Special.

I was responding to what Majic posted about being surprised that Smith is still making the Model 10. Just thought he might like to know that according to the company the Model 10 is still a good seller, therefore explaining why the model is still in production, 106 years after it was introduced. Wasn't trying to hijack a thread. :)

Bullrock

Webleymkv

S&W has discontinued all K-Frame Magnums supposedly because they finally realized that they don't hold up to continuous use of hot .357's.
I know you said it sounds silly, but is it true? K frames have been around a long time and I have several. I alternate taking them to the range. I will use at least 100 rounds of .357, without any problems. In contrast my 625 gets really hot with 100 rounds of .45acp and powders up more than any gun I own. Damn near burned my hand more than once. Whatdaya think Majic??? :rolleyes:

Majic

Well the K-frame magnums were built around the 158 grain load and when the hot 125s and 110s came into fashion some developed problems in the forcing cone. Now many shooters will tell you they haven't had any problems with their K-frames, but it is a potential problem. Some revolvers have gone thousands of rounds with no harm while others have sustained damage after only a few hundred rounds. Neither Colt, Ruger, or Dan Wesson had this problem, but their frames were larger in the crane/yoke area. That was the reason for the creation of the L-frame. While this problem may never show up in your revolver if the forcing cone was to crack then there could be a problem finding a replacement barrel.
As to your M625 heating up, do you shoot this revolver faster than your others? Moonclips do make for fast reloads and continuous shooting sessions giving the revolver less time to cool down.
Your loads could be using a dirty powder. If cast bullets are used then you can also add in the lead and lube. I've always been a big fan of Unique powder and soft lubes so you can imagine the mess I'm left with after shooting.

Bullrock

Majic...You're right I do shoot faster with the moon clips. I'll have to slow down next time and let the gun cool down. Regarding the powder, I use mostly store bought ammo. It's really not a problem, but something I noted. Maybe if I slowed it down a bit the gun wouldn't powder up so bad...I'm glad I asked you...Thanks :D :D

Webleymkv

Also, The earlier Model 66's had trouble because they didn't get the stainlees steel just right. The guns had a tendency to swell and bind up the cylinder when they got hot. This problem was corrected on later guns but timing and forcing cone issues were never completely solved.

nwobhm

As long as there are armed private security guards, there will be a Model 10. In Florida, they are restricted to carrying a wheelgun in .38 Special.

Does my heart good to see the armored car couriers with that big iron on their hip...

FYI: I worked for Wells Fargo Armored and many a jump man carried Glock autos. The State of Florida allowed the change in the early 90's.

Bullrock

So Majic

I bought a SW 686, 2 1/2" barrel today. When I brought it home I ripped those damn awful, cheap, rubber grips off and ordered and new pair of Eagle Heritage grips that will also convert the 686 round butt to a square butt. I can't wait for those Eagles to get here. I just know that combo is gonna make the 686 a real nice shootin gun for me...

I'm a wood grip man.
I prefer women with round butts.
I prefer revolvers with square butts. ;)

shoots awe lots

Smith corrected the forcing cone issue on the new 65ls. They went to the two piece barrell and they dont have the flat spot to accept crane anymore. I shoot anything out of mine with no worries.

SouthpawShootr

Smith corrected the forcing cone issue on the new 65ls.

This seems to be gone now also and I know it was a hot seller. One local shop couldn't keep them in stock. The 65LS is still on the model pulldown menu on the website, but when you go to the page, nothing's there. Pity. I wanted to pick one of these up eventually.