S$W admits boycott blues...

simonov jr

Smith & Wesson President Admits Consumer Anger Hurting Sales
By Jerry Miller
CNS Correspondent
21 June, 2000

(CNSNews.com) -- The president of gun maker Smith & Wesson now acknowledges that a "consumer boycott" over the company's agreement with the Clinton-Gore Administration is hurting the company and was a factor in his decision to suspend virtually all manufacturing at two plants during the month of July. The suspension is expected to result in the layoffs of as many as 400 of the 800 employees in Springfield, Massachusetts and Houlton, Maine.

Threatened with dozens of potential lawsuits from governments trying to recoup financial losses from gun-related violence, Smith & Wesson struck the controversial deal with the White House in March.

In exchange for immunity from the lawsuits, Smith & Wesson promised that its future weapons would be manufactured with trigger locks and smart-gun technology such as the so-called "ballistic fingerprints", which make it easier for law enforcement agencies to figure out which bullet was fired from which gun and biometric identification, which allows only the owner of the gun to fire the weapon. S & W also promised background checks would be imposed at the retail outlets where their guns were sold and at gun shows.

S & W president Ed Shultz responded to questions during a telephone message he left for CNSNews.com. Repeated efforts to get additional comments from Shultz were unsuccessful. However, in the phone message, Shultz laid blame for the layoffs and the decision to suspend production on seasonally lower gun sales. He also noted the company has probably been hurt by a boycott of gun buyers and Second Amendment advocates, angry at the agreement the company reached with the White House. Shultz acknowledged losing some former customers and accused the media of making too much of that.

During a previous interview, Shultz insisted the company had little choice but to sign the agreement, or risk the possibility of being put out of business by a growing number of lawsuits brought by cities, counties and states, angered over gun safety issues.

While Shultz downplayed the importance of the agreement in terms of slower sales, other gun advocates did not.

"I can't say for certain that it's a boycott and I see no response on the part of the rest of the industry. However, we've received hundreds of e-mails...scores and scores...in opposition to the agreement and I believe Smith & Wesson has gotten the same thing," said Bob Delfay of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a Connecticut-based industry organization with 1,800 members involved in the manufacturing, distribution and retailing of weapons.

Any effort by the gun industry to organize and promote a consumer boycott against Smith & Wesson could result in a Department of Justice investigation and the filing of charges against participants, as a violation of the nation's anti-trust laws.

Delfay provided examples of the e-mails, all of which faulted the company for its decision to enter into the agreement with the government. A retired U.S. Navy Special Operations officer characterized the agreement as a "betrayal by S&W" and as a "sham on the people who believe in the right to bear arms." The writer added, "It's an affront to the drafters of the Constitution and all those who gave their lives or continue to serve in our armed forces...it's a phony attempt to keep their business going while drawing favorable political light on themselves...I say good riddance to S&W and hope no one will ever buy a weapon they make."

Another e-mail writer characterized the agreement as a "sell out decision by Smith & Wesson," and added, "Immediately following the deal announcement, I mailed a letter to the S&W CEO stating that I planned to boycott the company and I would encourage my family and friends to do the same."

In an April 6th e-mail, sent directly to Shultz, a copy of which was sent to Delfay, a female writer said the agreement has forced her "to vote with my dollars. Therefore, I will buy no more S&W products of any kind, nor will I support advertisers and dealers of your products." The writer added, she was "exercising my options in a free market economy to support financially and politically those in agreement with my personal values. Hence, please do not include this communication as 'evidence' of any organized conspiracy or anti-trust activity against your company. I'm just one more supporter of the 2nd Amendment, who is appalled at your company's political stance."

Larry Pratt, executive director of the Springfield, Virginia-based Gun Owners of America, told CNSNews a consumer boycott of the company "is something we have urged." Urging Smith & Wesson to "repudiate the agreement," Pratt added the pact has "enormous implications for dealers."

"Smith & Wesson is continuing to be isolated. They depend on the civilian market for sales...the government can't turn on a dime and buy Smith & Wesson guns on a politically correct basis."

Pratt also accused the Clinton-Gore Administration of "acting like the Mafia...we won't block you, as long as you pay our extortion...so Smith & Wesson blinked. They're now being rewarded by the government with purchases." Pratt also characterized the agreement as "a monstrous introduction of Fascism into the economy, by the Clinton Administration...it's legislation without the legislature...It's an agreement, not a law, so it's not reviewable by the courts."

Asked about the layoff of Smith & Wesson employees, Pratt said he hopes other gun makers would pick them up, should a consumer boycott drive the company out of business, but added, "If it's a question of their jobs, over my freedom, I have no question about where I come down...what's happening is a spontaneous reaction against Smith & Wesson. People just don't want to do business with someone like this. It's very dangerous for our freedom and it's very bad for the dealers."

Top Headlines
Energy Chief Gets Political Heat From Both Sides

Bipartisan Commission Recommends Social Security Reform

Pumping Protests, Dumping Conventions

Death Penalty Case Dogs Bush

Convicted Killer Remains Unsure of Fate

Four Republicans, One Democrat on Environmental Group's 'Hit List'

Baltimore Orioles Hiring Policies Under Fire Again

House Votes to Honor Apollo 11 Astronauts

Congressional Panel Nixes Sanctions against Israel

Scottish Pro-Lifers Target School Pupils

Macedonia Destabilization Threat Causes Concern

Land Reform Might End Caste Violence in India

Also check out

Energy Chief Gets Political Heat From Both Sides

Baltimore Orioles Hiring Policies Under Fire Again

Death Penalty Case Looms for Bush

House Votes on Religious Broadcasters Protection Bill

Senate Passes Hate Crimes Amendment

House Leaders To Meet With Oil Reps on Soaring Gas Prices

Senate Vote Nears on Controversial Hate Crimes Bill

Archive

I just LOVE the assertion that S&W had to agree to the deal to get out of the lawsuits it was facing...

Gee, who forgot to tell the State of New York that S&W was now suit proof?

As much as I love Smith & Wesson revolvers, and as much as I feel for the company's employees (I've been there), I hope S&W goes out of business so that we can at least fondly remember SOME proud legacy.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

El Jefe

How about a link so I can use the article on my site :)

------------------
...“ They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Whereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.
---Richard Henry Lee, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788

Take care and God Bless, El Jefe

The ANTI-HCI Site!

loknload

What goes around,Comes around. They are getting what they deserve. And now Cuomo isn't going to get his money to back up the agreement :D Too bad fellas :D Another slap in the face to him and his Slickness ;)

Makes my day :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

MAD DOG

All of the local dealers that I frequent have quit selling S&W firearms other than what they had in stock when the boycott got going. Amazingly, these are still sitting in the cases, gathering dust. No savvy gunowner will buy a new S&W firearm.

Bear in mind that Glock, HK and Beretta are also participants in the ballistic registration program. They VOLUNTARILY provide spent slugs and cases from EACH fiearm to the Fedgov, along with serial number info about the weapon that fired it.

This has been going on for at least a year.
Some may want to consider rebarreling certain of their weapons.

Jeff Thomas

Pratt is right with his 'fascism' comment, friends. If you think this is hyperbole, look up fascism in your dictionary. You're seeing it in action.

Smith & Wesson must die. I'll hope that wiser minds prevail with its next ownership.

And, unless we want more fascism from Mr. Gore, I suggest we all vote for George W. in November. At least that will give us a chance to reverse course.

Regards from AZ

Mad Dog,

Nothing that a new barrel from Bar-Sto and a little stoning on the extractor, ejector, and firing pin, plus a mirror polishing of the breech face, won't cure. :)

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.

Andrewh

MAD DOG, it isn't just barrels. As I recall, you would need a new firing pin as well. The primer is scanned and put into a file, like finger prints. So if all they get are casings at a crime scene, they can still match up who did it.(or who bought the gun first.)

Nestor Rivera

So I guess if reloads were used the extractor marks would be just fine right?

New firing pin or polish

Barrel, keep it and "lap" it well.

and what about Revolvers ?

416Rigby

I too am APPALLED that NONE of these hydrocephalic morons in the media has been willing or able to point out that the government has not dropped S&W from the list of the makers sued!!!

My good God, what will it take for them to finally fess up to their responsibilities?

PUKE!

------------------
Private gun ownership is the capital sin in the left's godless religion. Crime is merely a venial mistake.

Check out these gals: www.sas-aim.org

Get some real news at www.worldnetdaily.com

[This message has been edited by 416Rigby (edited June 22, 2000).]

Blueyedog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Darthmaum wrote:
<Gleefully dancing on S&W's grave...> [/quote]
Darthmaum, join with me, let's do the dance of joy! :D

Notice that not only has the government not dropped S&W from its list, new cities suing keep adding S&W to their list of gun manufactorers to hold liable ... more or less thumbing their noses at the federal government and its deal with S&W. :D

------------------
Refuse to be a "helpless" victim.
Knowing Your Rights WAGC in Indiana

Eric of IN

Kinda like Ole' Yeller. You hate to put them down, but you know you have to, for mostly the same reasons. :(
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.

Gunslinger

The Clinton administration has to see this for what it is; Gun owners taking a united stand for their beliefs. The antis may see it as a victory but the knowing will see the power of the conviction of the supporters of the second.

Chris if that red condition persist perhaps you should consult a physcian. :eek:

------------------
Gunslinger

Kevinw

One thing I will note. (and get flamed for) I don't have THAT big of a problem with the "Balistic Fingerprinting" to me it is just like the serial number on the gun. And frankly I fail to see how tha is going to affect us any worse than serial numbers do. As for the rest of the stuff. They can burn in hell with Clinton for all I care.