S&W 909

ttarp

A 909 in pretty good shape showed up at the pawn shop the other day, and I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it. I tried looking them up on gunbroker to get an idea of what they go for but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have experience/opinions on these?

Uncle Malice

Not very many around. They were only made for 2 years. Some reports indicate poor accuracy.

New in box they were around $400. Used, you're probably looking at $250-$300

ttarp

Thanks for the reply, I'm still kinda on the fence about it, I may go ahead and buy it and see how it does. If I do end up getting it I'll try to put up a range report of sorts in case anyone would find it helpful.

carguychris

The Model 909 is the "Value Series" version of the Model 3904, although it was curiously produced several years after the M3904 (and the similar M3906) were axed from S&W's lineup. (This may have been prompted by the 94 AWB, but I'm by no means certain of this.)

The M3904 and M909 are full-size, single-stack pistols with matte blue finish and alloy frames. They are part of the so-called 3rd-generation of S&W metal-frame centerfire automatics. They take a 9rd magazine, although early M3904 and M3906 8rd mags fit. 8rd magazines from the similar, earlier Model 39 (1st-gen) and Models 439, 539, and 639 (2nd-gen) will NOT fit.

The "Value Series" pistols featured less refined slide and frame machining compared to their standard counterparts; they generally lack a RH-side ambidextrous decocker/safety lever; they have plastic recoil spring guide rods and sights; and lastly, certain models use different barrel lockup than the standard 3rd-gens, although I'm not certain about the M909. FWIW the plastic sights and guide rod can be swapped out for standard metal parts.
Uncle Malice said:
Not very many around. They were only made for 2 years. Some reports indicate poor accuracy.
Reports of poor accuracy haunt many Value Series pistols, although some owners report that their pistols are absolute tackdrivers. YMMV.
ttarp said:
...I'm still kinda on the fence about it, I may go ahead and buy it and see how it does.
Re: what Uncle Malice said... this is one of those pistols that isn't particularly valuable, but it's so scarce that, if you think you want one, you need to BUY NOW when you find one. I am a certified S&W 3rd-gen enthusiast, and I have NEVER seen a Model 909 in person!