S&W 908: designed for safety off carry?

DennisD

The 908 (and similar semi autos) have a double action first pull and single action afterwords. The "safety" works as a de-cocker as well as a firing pin block. From my understanding, the gun has a passive firing pin block (must pull trigger to make the gun fire). Does this all mean the gun was designed so it can be carried with the safety off? I've bought several DAO guns to carry but then I wondered if the 908 will work for safety-less carry? I don't want to have to work a safety in case the stuff hits the fan.

Most DA/SA autos can be carried safety off without any trouble, and given your description it sounds as if your 908 would fit that mold.

carguychris

From my understanding, the gun has a passive firing pin block (must pull trigger to make the gun fire). Does this all mean the gun was designed so it can be carried with the safety off?
Yes. :)

FWIW the 1st-generation S&W TDA semi-autos (M39, M52, M59, etc.) lacked the passive firing pin block and can discharge if they're dropped in a certain way with the safety off. However, your 908S is a 3rd-gen TDA, so you have no worries. :D