S&w 696

DonR101395

Here's my new to me 696 no dash. Paid $495 out the door this afternoon:D I've been searching for one on GB for over a year, but the prices have been driven into the stupid range. On the way home from the gun show I decided to pay one of my old haunts a visit since it was only an hour out of the way. I saw it in the display case and figured it was in the $800-$1000 range that they are selling for online. I had to touch in anyway. When he handed it to me I couldn't believe it was marked $495. I asked what his best price was and he told me he could do $495 out the door:):) The Hogues will probably be replaced with some Badger grip panels or Eagle Secret Service grip panels

DSC00095.jpg

Last edited:

drail

Man, you was in the right place at the right time. What kind of condition is it? Looks pretty clean in the photo. You pretty much stole that one. Very nice find.

DonR101395

I'd put it in the 95%-98% range on condition. A slight drag line on the cylinder,the light has to hit it just right to see it. It doesn't look like it was fired much more than someone buying it, taking it to the range with a box of ammo, shooting a couple of cylinders then loading it up and putting it in a sock drawer for a few years.
I almost felt bad trying to get it cheaper, but it's part of the process;) The shop owner is a good guy and I buy pretty frequently from him.
I'm now glad it was raining yesterday. If it wasn't I would have been cutting some more wood instead of wandering gun shops:)

joneb

Great deal Don :D, I think you are going to really like this gun, my 696 ND is my favorite revolver.

DonR101395

I can't wait to get it to the range. I just ordered brass and another set of .44 dies. I'll probably break down this week and go buy a box of ammo for it though. I get impatient:eek:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Good catch and great deal!

Regarding online 696 prices: Don't forget that there's a big difference between "asking price" and "selling price". ;) I've seen a few move in real life in the $550-$650 range over the last year or so.

DonR101395

Regarding online 696 prices: Don't forget that there's a big difference between "asking price" and "selling price". I've seen a few move in real life in the $550-$650 range over the last year or so.

Yep, that was the price range I was willing to go into, the online prices have IMHO reached the height stupid. That is what has taken me so long to find one. You just don't run into them down here too often.

Edit: Now if I can just find a Model 58 that won't break the bank I'll be happier than a pig in............uhhh you get the idea:)

Last edited:

drail

Don, you are going to love that 696. Any good 200 gr. load feels like a .38 spl. Whatever you do don't try to load it hot. The forcing cones are a weak point on those guns. Several people have cracked them with Elmer Keith type loads. The 200 gr. Gold Dot load from Speer is just about perfect at 850 to 900 fps. I've been shooting mine since 96 and I'll never part with it. The triggers on the ND seem to be some of the last really good ones to come from S&W. I did a little polishing and deburring and it came out very smooth with the original springs. So far it has been 100% reliable with any brand of primer. I carry it every day. Keep us posted on your experiences with it.

DonR101395

Thanks guys.

DRail,
You were reading my mind. I was thinking a 200 SWC @ 800-900fps would be the ticket. Thinking Gold Dots for when I want to carry it. No desire to hotrod it, I've got a pair of Redhawks for that.

Murdock

Ah, reality kicking in!

Good buy!

I've noticed that at $900 the M696s on the auction sites aren't moving all that fast.

JayCee

I bought a no-dash a few years ago for something less than $400. I didn't like the grips it came with, so I replaced them with boot grips. With moderately heavy handloads, I found it somewhat unpleasant to shoot. I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to handgun stocks, and I didn't want to go to oversized wooden stocks, so it went in my safe and has resided there quietly for a couple of years. Didn't realize until fairly recently that the value had increased so much.

Stainz

I bought my -1 for $439 over five years back - new. I also bought a 296 that day - $349 new. He took another $10 off since I bought both. My best-ever S&W day - two brand new, albeit canned, S&Ws for $813 otd. Actually, it was $413 plus my two AMT Backups (Good riddance!). The 696 is a nice shooter - but not worth the $900+ some folks think it commands. You are far better off with a regular 4" 629. Even new, a 4" 629 is likely to be less than many folks will sell their 696s. $495 is a steal.

For comparison, below is my new 4" 629 .44 Magnum, sporting .500 Magnum Hogues, vs my 696 with no-fg Ahrends square conversion cocobolo stocks. The 629 has a 1" longer barrel, 1 more hole in the cylinder, a LARGE forcing cone, larger hammer & trigger, and only weighs six ounces more. Of course, the 696 is fun. Try some wimpy mouse-flatulance level 240gr LSWC/LRNFP in cute little .44 Russian cases - mine are all day shooters - and make 'major' power factor - with only 693 fps from the 3" barrel. Fun!

629-compare.jpg

Congratulations on a 'deal'!

Stainz

drail

Don, my 696 shoots the 200 gr. Gold Dots great. Feels like a 38spl +P from a Model 27. After carrying and shooting a Charter Bulldog for many years I have finally learned the joy of the .44 spl. I have a 3/8 in steel IPSC target that 5 200 gr GD will lay flat down if it's not anchored solidly in the dirt. Much fun.

DonR101395

New grips

Well, new to this gun. I found a set of rosewood grips I had on my model 65 before the wife appropriated it and decided she wanted rubber grips instead. It's going to the range on Friday. I've been working some weird hours so I haven't had a chance to get it out.

DSC00097.jpg