S&W 696 No Dash..........44 Special

stmcelroy

Was out and about checking the local gun stores for a 2nd Gen Glock 17 or possibly another black gun when I came upon a like new in box Smith & Wesson 696. I was not aware that S&W had ever built a L-frame .44special and was immediately interested, I have always found the 686 to be a great sized gun but don't really enjoy shooting .357mag.

I just about bought the gun yesterday, but I really like to make sure that I am getting a good deal, so home I went to do some research. It appears that this gun is pretty desirable and that the prices are going way up, like $950+ for a LNIB no dash model. Well seeing how I really liked the gun and it was priced a quite a bit lower than what it was worth, I ran back and bought it this morning...:D

My first impression is that I cannot believe how sweet feeling a 3" full lug L-frame is, and then seeing that big old .429 hole brings a big old smile to my face.

I will be loading up some .44 special over the next couple of weeks and then hit the range.

Who else has one and how do you like yours?

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

PS: Sorry for the crappy pics.....

Teuthis

That is a fantastic find. 44 Special is an outstanding field caliber or self defense caliber. You have a winner there.

My source says it has a five shot cylinder, strong enough to shoot +P rounds. It was manufactured from 1996-2002. There was an alloy frame with titanium cylinder model built, but yours appears stainless. I would think that not so many were built and yours might indeed be a most desirable item to collect. But it would be even more desirable as a functioning weapon. Good shooting!

Smaug

How much did yours go for?

I'm a Ruger man, but if the price was right, I'd probably get it. S&W triggers are fantastic, and the guns are durable enough for regular pressure rounds like 38 Special and 44 Special.

Looks like a great gun. Be sure to post some targets when you have them.

I like those grips. Those are the best factory rubber grips available, IMO.

laytonj1

They're great guns. I have a 696 no dash I bought new in the late 90's. It's very accurate (2" or better at 25 yards). Recoil is light with the 44 Specials. They tend to like the lighter bullets in the 200/210gr. range best.
Just remember it's a 44 special and don't try to turn it into a 44 Mag with hot loads.

There was an alloy frame with titanium cylinder model built, but yours appears stainless
That was the model 296. All 696's are stainless.

Jim

orionengnr

Yes, I had a 696, as well as a 396 (like the 696 but alloy/titanium, exposed hammer. The 296 was like the 642, internal hammer).

My 696 was pleasant to shoot and very accurate. My 396 was pleasant to carry but not so pleasant to shoot.

The .44 Spl Blazer JHPs went from $12.86/40 to over $25 in a matter of a few months (several years ago, before the current run-up in ammo prices). That was when I decided I needed to a) start reloading and b) reduce the number of calibers I was shooting.

bobn

i had both the 296 and the 696. the 696 didnt match the 19s accuaracy and the 296 stung your hand with anything but 44 cowboy ammo in it. i guess i found out the expensive way that i am a 38 special fan. oh well, gotta keep buying and trading, lol. bobn